Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Mozy Reseller Bites Ransomware with Mozy Backup and Restore
Check out how a pet store used Mozy to recover from a ransomware attack.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Kimoncli...

Elite Level 2
(28)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Backup on Windows 8 but restore will be on Windows 10....what do I need to know?

So 2 weeks ago my laptop was stolen.  Fortunately I back everything up on Mozy, and I'll be able to restore things on the new laptop.  One problem - my OLD laptop was Win8, and my NEW laptop will be Win10.

when I do the restore - is there anything I am going to need to be aware of to account for the difference?

Benjamin_C
(210)

Re: Backup on Windows 8 but restore will be on Windows 10....what do I need to know?

Since the laptops are both windows, most things will be the same luckily. Thing is, the file structure probably will of changed. When you do the restore, do a 'web restore', and I strongly recommend using the restore manager, and when it asks where you want to put the files, you put it in a folder on your desktop that you create, and then move the files to where you want them. Here is an article for all of that info:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Create-Web-Restore-MozyHome

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
0 Reps
angelag
Community Manager
(320)

Re: Backup on Windows 8 but restore will be on Windows 10....what do I need to know?

@Kimonclinton,

@Benjamin_C is correct! Your operating system is so similar it wont make much difference for the restore process, however the file structure between the two computers may be different, so I would echo his sentiment of putting the restore files into a single chosen location that's easy to find and then moving them where you want them to be.

But if you don't, or you miss that step, you can always follow the steps to locate the restored files on the new computer.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns!

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

@Kimonclinton

How is the restore working for you?  It appears there are no pending restores for your computer.  If you have any questions don't hesitate post.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
Kimoncli...

Elite Level 2
(28)

Sorry - I haven't tried yet, because there was a chance I could recover my old computer. But I will need to try tonight or tomorrow now.

follow up question - will the restore also have all the data for my outlook email account, or will I have to set that up all over again?i'm just afraid that the restore will have one account, and then I'll have to set up another account and cns't combine the files or something screwy like that.

PTNubs
(154)

@Kimonclinton

As long as you were backing up the Outlook file from the old computer, then yes. You should have no trouble importing the file into Outlook on the new computer.

Mozy Support cannot help with that import process, but here is a Microsoft article that should get you in the right direction:

How to manage .pst files in Outlook

I am not seeing that you have begun the restore process yet.

When you do get that started, if you encounter any issues, please contact Support at support.mozy.com.

Thanks.

Peter M
Community Moderator
0 Reps
Kimoncli...

Elite Level 2
(28)

Okay - I've downloaded everything, and moved my documents and such to the new computer.

But - where the $%%* do I find the Outlook file?  And if it turns out I don't have it, how the _(*&^^ do I get Mozy TO back that up???

0 Reps
remymozy
(47)

@Kimonclinton

Here is a list from Microsoft of the locations where the .PST file (and all of Outlook's data files) could be hiding: https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Locating-the-Outlook-data-files-0996ece3-57c6-49bc-977b-0d1...

Most commonly, the file is at AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook. The AppData folder is hidden to Windows Explorer by default but visible to Mozy. If you want to view the file inside of Windows explorer, click Start or go to the Windows 8 Search charm, type %appdata% , hit enter and you'll be taken there

Kimoncli...

Elite Level 2
(28)

That's exactly where I went, but I don't see any *.pst files in that folder.  I only see a whole slew of Outlook DAT files.  Do I need to convert from DAT to PST?

0 Reps
AngelinaS
(220)

@Kimonclinton   I reviewed your manifest and found the .pst files were not selected for backup, thus did not get backed up.  This link explains how to backup Outlook pst files:  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-backup-Outlook

In general, I have seen Outlook pst files in various locations.  Two commonly seen locations are:

1.  C:\Users\(your user folder)\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook folder

2.  C:\Users\(your user folder)\Documents\Outlook folder

by it depends on how your computer is setup and where the files are located.  

The Mozy backup software will only backup the files that are selected for backup which is why it is very important for you to go into the Mozy settings, to the File System tab to select your important files for backup as per http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Selecting-Files-to-Backup-Using-the-FileSystem-Tab on a Windows computer.

The other key option that will need to be selected if your Outlook .pst files are located under the folder described in 1. above is to have an advanced option of "Allow backup and display of protected operation system files" selected under the Options tab > Advanced tab.  Your \AppData\Local folder is considered a protected folder., and is not displayed unless that options is selected.

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

0 Reps