Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Threads Date
error message 03-12-2017
Refund 03-09-2017
Labels
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
PTNubs

(275)

Version Consolidation 101

In a recent Mozy newsletter, you may have heard about an increase to the retention time Mozy keeps versions of your files. We at Mozy, understand that having a greater retention period provides our users a greater window to recover data in the event of a data loss. This increase also allows for adjustable data retention (available only to MozyPro, MozyEnterprise, and Service Providers). As exciting as this change is for Mozy, it is sure to spark many questions and concerns about how it affects the backups and restores.

From a technical and support standpoint, I want to take this opportunity to explain a bit more about what Version Consolidation (VC) is and how it would apply to the backups. First off, let me talk about the 4 main points to understand about Version Consolidation.

• Increased Retention

By using VC, Mozy is able to provide a greater window of retention for restores since there are less individual patches being retained on the data centers.

• Increased Backup Performance

Using VC allows for a significantly smaller database requirement to store the information about the backups. A smaller database allows for faster backup processing

• Increased Restore Speed

VC’s reduction of overall patches means less patches are needed to restore heavily patched files. Less patches to restore means files restore faster.

• Decreased Restore Point Granularity

This will be explained later, but consolidating the versions does decrease the granularity of the versions that can be restored later.

When VC is turned on, a default retention policy is enabled based on account type.

MozyHome will be extended out to 90 days (currently 30 days)

MozyPro will be extended out to 180 days (currently 60 days)

MozyEnterprise will be extended out to 1 year (currently 90 days)

MozyOEM and Service Providers will be extended per contract terms.

MozyPro and MozyEnterprise will have policy choices to select from the Admin Console. The default will be in place unless specifically changed by the admin user. More information for those options will be available in the future.

How does VC work?

VC is only applicable to files that are changed. If you upload data that is never modified, VC does not affect those files. But for files that are modified, continue reading to understand how VC manages the versions of those files.

The most recent version of a certain file that is uploaded is the current version.

Backups made during a single day that upload changes to the same file, will be referred to as interim backups.

After interim backups are 3 days old, they will be consolidated, with one from each hour (where present) selected to be an hourly backup.  Thus you can have up to 72 hourly backups (72 hours in 3 days).

After 3 days, a single hourly backup from each day will be selected as the daily backup.

Daily backups made in a week will be consolidated into a weekly backup on Saturday.

Weekly backups throughout a month will be consolidated into a monthly backup on the last Saturday of the month (only applies to MozyPro and up, as MozyHome does not have monthly backups).

And so on…

The details of these types need to be understood in order to know the restore capabilities of the backup.

How does this VC affect my backup performance?

Currently, Mozy keeps track of every single patch, or version, of a file and stores that information in a database. As your files are modified and then uploaded on a backup, those patches can quickly add up. Consider a SQL database or an Outlook PST file for example. Files like these are routinely changed multiple times per day. Assuming you run 12 backups per day during a 30 day window, that single file now has 360 patches.

Using VC, the number of patches for that single file, drops to 30 patches (25 daily versions, and 5 weekly versions). This decrease allows for a smaller database for the backup information. A smaller database allows for a faster backup process as it requires less time to update that database.

The decrease in patch count also allows for faster restore processing. When Mozy restores a file, we build the file together from all the patches that were backed up. Rebuilding 30 patches will take a lot less time to build than 360 patches. This would allow for restores to process faster, presenting the file for download in a more timely fashion.

How does VC decrease my restore point granularity?

As noted earlier, VC does decrease the granularity of restore points in the backup. This is a side effect of the consolidation process. However, our internal research has shown that 90% of restores downloaded from Mozy are done within a few days of the last backup. So, even using VC, this should not affect restores.

Let’s look at an example based on a MozyHome account that backed up changes to a single file every day, for 32 days.

The latest version that is backed up, or the current version, will remain indefinitely.  If a file is changed and then a backup is run, that most recent version backed up becomes the new current version.

The hourly backups are available for 72 hours. This means that the hourly backup versions are available for restore going back 3 days.

The daily backups are available for 30 days. This means that the consolidated daily versions are available going back 30 days.

The weekly backups are available for 90 days. This means that the consolidated weekly versions are available going back 90 days.

Consider the calendar below. This would tell you how long until the noted version would expire based on the 90-day MozyHome retention, for backups starting Jan 1 and stopping Feb 1.

vc_calendar.png

We are aware that many of you will have questions about Version Consolidation and how it would apply to your specific scenarios. Support is available on this Community as well as your communications channels on support.mozy.com

Providing digital safety for your data is our utmost priority, so please contact us if you have ANY concerns about your data.

Comments
Wayward
Shogun Level 3

(617)

@PTNubs ...

Thanks for a very interesting blog article.  Good news.   As a Mozy Home user 90 days beats 30 days, anytime.

Does this increased file retention time also impact Mozy Sync files?  I understand that the Sync technology and server usage is a bit different than Backup and I'm just curious whether or not Sync files retention will also be extended.

PTNubs

(275)

@Wayward

Great question.

Version Consolidation only applies to files getting backed up through the backup client software.

Sync is not affected by VC nor does it get the extended retention.

So for MozyHome, the Sync still has the same 30 day retention because it's synced data, not backed up data.

Thanks for asking that one!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

@PTNubs - Thank you for posting! This has a lot of great information for our customers! I'll make sure and get the word out!

@Wayward - Great question!  

Wayward
Shogun Level 3

(617)

@PTNubs ... Thanks for the clarification.  The retention remaining at 30 days for Sync files was my suspicion.

@ShawnL... By now, you probably suspected I'd ask a question about Mozy Sync.   Smiley Happy

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

@Wayward - I'm glad you did! We should have an interesting article about Sync restores coming up soon so keep a look out!

angelag
Community Manager

(530)

Great post @PTNubs! I'm really looking forward to Version Consolidation-I think it's going to be great!

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

Our September Webinar also speaks to the new data retention policy changes. Check it out in the link below:

September 2016 Webinar: How long does my data stay on Mozy servers?

mlaz
Warrior

(7)

Is it possible to opt out of VC and keep the present retention times at the present granularity?

remymozy

(80)

@mlaz

This change needs to be universal to ensure all MozyHome accounts are shown the same level of speed and reliability provided by the changes outlined. There will be no way to keep the present retention times and granularity for MozyHome.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

@mlaz - Are there any additional questions we can help answer for you on this topic?

mlaz
Warrior

(7)

I'm good. Thanks for asking.

ShawnL
Community Manager

(400)

@mlaz - You're very welcome! Please let us know if we can answer anything for you in the future. 

Have a great day!