Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Alert: Attention macOS High Sierra Users: We are aware there may be some compatibility issues between macOS High Sierra and Mozy. Your backed up data remains protected. We will continue to provide updates as they become available.

Latest from the Blog: Thinking About Signing Up for MozyPro?
Are you a new customer looking to protect your business data? Or maybe you're a MozyHome user who needs to make sure their work-related documents are protected and are thinking of upgrading to MozyPro? See why you should and how to do it in today's post...

September's Webinar: User Groups: What are they good for?
In case you missed it, today's webinar has been posted!
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(64)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Restoring after factory reset

I have an ASUS laptop & did a factory reset today. Windows 7 was pre-installed when I bought the laptop 2 years ago but I updated the OS to Windows 10 some time in the last year. Because of the factory reset I am now back to Windows 7. I hope to do a restore using the Mozy Restore Manager & I want to chose the "Preserve the original location" option. I have read that unless the user name I used when I set up the ASUS originally, is the same, the Mozy Restore Manager will not be able to restore the files to their original locations. Is there a way I can find the user name I used when I original set up my ASUS, somewhere in my Mozy account & do I need to update to Windows 10 again before I do the restore? Thanks  

0 Reps
username...

Master Level 1
(2984)
Solution

Re: Restoring after factory reset

Use a web browser to surf to here:

https://access.mozy.com/access

Click on Devices.

(upper left)

Then click on the computer's name.

(not the box to the left of the name)

That should let you explore the folders that you have backed up.

See what user folder name is under C:\Users\......

Benjamin_C
(194)

That is good advise at looking at the website for an answer to the old user. If needed, you can always make a folder on your desktop, and point the restore there, then move all of your files to where they need to go afterwords. 

As for if you should do the restore before or after upgrading to Windows 10, I personally suggest after, in case the upgrade wipes your drive and you'd have to do it twice. That said, even if it did wipe the drive you'd just need to do the restore twice, so I can't see much of an issue there. 

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
0 Reps
AngelinaS
(222)

@dommm   

Was the information provided in this thread helpful in answering your questions?

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

0 Reps
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(64)

Thanks

0 Reps
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(64)

OK, so here is my follow up. I did a hard restore on my laptop which wiped my laptop clean. I then followed the setup instructions & I thought I used the exact same name on the setup but unfortunately I f'ed up. I used the exact same computer name (TRSASUS) when setting up but I used TR's as the user name on the setup instead of TR'sASUS. Now when I log into MOZY, it sees my laptop as a different laptop. I was hoping to us the MOZY Restore Manager to restore my files back to the same file path but since MOZY does not recognize the restored laptop as the same laptop because of the different user name, I'm assuming the files will not be able to be restored back to the same file path? Am I right in this assumption & if so is there a way to correct my username on my restored laptop?  Thanks 

0 Reps