We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

/t5/Restores/Reload-then-restore-or-restore-then-reload/td-p/93605

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
NurdBurd
Assassin
(6)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Reload then restore or restore then reload?

Early Monday morning a Dell tech confirmed that I needed to reformat my hard drives and start over with Windows 10 PRO. The tech reformated my hard drives and then reloaded Windows 10 PRO. The first several programs that I reloaded were 'sync-able' so I received all the needed data very quickly. After loading the first program that was not 'sync-able', I begin thinking which would be best - reload then restore OR restore then reload? Of course, I want to get back all of my needed data but none of the 'junk' that accumulates over the years. I am looking for a two-prong solution: 1) Which to accomplish first - reload or restore? 2) How to restore only the data that is needed but none of the 'junk'? Thank you. If my questions are answered within the written world of Mozy, please provide the appropriate destination guides. Thank you.
0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)
Solution

Re: Reload then restore or restore then reload?

@NurdBurd

It sounds to me that you may want to consider performing a Web Restore. You could install the software as well first for your critical programs, but the Web Restore is nice in that you can scope out what data is reliant on your crucial programs. Since you don't want to restore "junk" files, you can pick and choose visually what folders you want to restore first.

Please follow this guide to do so. Once you have what data you need, then you can proceed reloading your software. It would be nice to see what data you want to restore first then you can decide what software you want to reload from the get-go. This may help you time-wise.

- http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Create-Web-Restore-MozyHome

Let us know if this helps!

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

ScottS1
(182)

@NurdBurd

Just checking in. Did you have additional questions for us we can answer? Does this resolve your concern?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

@NurdBurd

We haven't heard from you in about 10 days.

Were you able to follow Scott's directions from his initial post?

Please post any other questions or comments, otherwise please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
ScottS1
(182)

@NurdBurd

We will now mark this thread as resolved as we've not heard back. Please post to a new thread if you have any new questions!

Take care,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps