Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT! Enter to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Tell us a personal story of a time when Mozy really helped you out. Did you think all was lost but found Mozy had what you needed? Did it "save your bacon" so-to-speak? Check out the latest blog for details on how to enter for a chance to win!

Latest Blog: How to Set Up Multiple Log-Ins for Your Account
Want to set up multiple sets of credentials so different people in your office/home can log in to your account? Check out today's blog for more information on what you need and how to do it...
elva_lee
Assassin
(8)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Need help to Restore files from old pc to new pc

I replaced a backed up windows 8 pc with a new windows 10 pc. loaded mozy backup and restore apps on the new pc. unable to restore the deleted files from the old pc to the new one. I get an error message and instructions to contact support. So here I am. Please help.

JaredG
(580)

Re: Need help to Restore files from old pc to new pc

@elva_lee

Is the old computer still working?  If so then you will want to copy your data to an external hard drive or a thumb drive and move it to the new computer.  If the old computer is not working and you can't access the data then you can continue to restore the data.

It sounds like you were trying to use the Mozy Restore Manager and if so then you should just start over and follow the steps from this knowledge base article to start a new web restore for your files.

If you have any trouble starting over then please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
elva_lee
Assassin
(8)

Thanks, Jared. I did try it again and found the download file suddenly appeared in the tray last evening. It took awhile to get there. I am opening it on my new computer now. Also taking several hours. If I have further problems, I'll be back.

elva_lee
Assassin
(8)

update: Most of the files from the old computer seem to have downloaded to the new one EXCEPT none of the folders and documents from my desktop arrived. I am wondering if they have even been getting backed up all these years. I do not have access to a portable hard drive to manually transfer them. I am trying to load them to Google drive folder-by-folder so I can access them from there.

That's kinda disappointing if they did not get backed up with the rest. Any thoughts?

angelag
Community Manager
(1042)
Solution

Hi @elva_lee,

Did you go back into your restore to double check that they aren't there? It may be that you just missed them when looking the first time.

Let's check really quick by following these steps really quick: 

1. Log into your account at www.mozy.com/login
  2. Click on Devices from the left hand menu
  3. Click directly on the name of the machine you need to restore from
  4. Click on the Action Pane button in the upper right corner just under your username (it looks like a window with a gray sidebar)
  5. Click on Include Deleted Files so it shows all deleted files (if it currently says Exclude Deleted Files, don't click on it-it's already see to include them in that case)
  6. Then, back in the panel on the left, navigate to your desktop by clicking on each folder in the path until you get to your desktop (typically you'll click on C:\, then click on Users, then click on your username, then click on Desktop-but it could be different depending on your setup and what you're looking for)

Once you've found the desktop in there, are you seeing the files you're looking for?

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
JaredG
(580)

@elva_lee

Were you able to download and restore the missing data from your desktop?  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
AngelinaS
(222)

@elva_lee   Was the information provided in this thread helpful in answering your questions?

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

JaredG
(580)

@elva_lee

Please let us know if you are having troubles with restoring your missing data.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
elva_lee
Assassin
(8)

Thanks all, but I never was able to retrieve all of my files via mozy restore. I was able to load most of the "left behind" files into cloud storage and am accessing them in that way. Sorry I cannot say that my mozy issue was resolved in a satisfactory way. Am not sure I will be renewing, with this issue now in mtymozy experience. I think my files would have been totally lost if I'd actually experienced a crash.

remymozy
(95)

@elva_lee 

Have you checked the possibility of another Windows user folder containing the files you are looking for? When you choose to restore the files via the Mozy Restore Manager, they will be restored to your original Windows username. If your Windows username changed between upgrades or reinstall then your files are in the old user folder that is located at C:\Users\

On a single user PC this folder normally contains: 

Administrator

(your current user)

Public

If you see a fourth folder here that is most likely your previous Windows username and the folder that contains all of the files you are looking for.