We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

/t5/Restores/Mozy-Home-Free-Restore-Corrupt-Files/m-p/94206/highlight/true

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
axmx
Spy
(3)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy Home Free Restore - Corrupt Files

Would you please help me to figure out how to restore a file using any method supported by Mozy Home Free and a personal encryption key? I have tried restoring various known good files (i.e. file isn't corrupt on local disk/data is readable as intended) from different dates and the file is either corrupt or I get the error "incorrect encryption key or file not encrypted". Methods I have tried:
1. Restore using the MozyHome GUI (Mozy 2.36.3.633) on the same computer that is backing up the data (multiple know good files and dates tested). Outcome: file is "restored" but the file is corrupt.
2. Restore using Mozy web interface and using Mozy Crypto Utility(import personal key from Mozy Home install and import key from file). Outcome: file is "restored" but the file is corrupt and error in decrypt.log is "incorrect encryption key or file not encrypted".

Thank you for your help.

0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)

Re: Mozy Home Free Restore - Corrupt Files

@axmx

Do you remember the prior Encryption Key/password that was defined in the past? Did you save that .dat file somewhere safe and secure you could resort to in this scenario? Do you remember any sort of previous key in the past, such as a passphrase or password you defined?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
Highlighted
axmx
Spy
(3)

Hi Scott,

Yes, I backed up the encryption key and the password.  I tried using the backed up encryption key file but that resulted in file is "restored" but the file is corrupt and error in decrypt.log is "incorrect encryption key or file not encrypted". 

0 Reps
axmx
Spy
(3)

@ScottS1,

some additional detail that might be helpful... as noted in restore method attempt 1, I have tried restoring files using the Mozy backup software on the same computer that is backing up the data, which would seem like it would be able to use the same personal encryption key used for backups to perform the restore?  I attempted the restore using the Mozy backup software on the same computer backing up the data by following the documentation here.  I attempted method 2 using the directions from here.  All resulted in outcomes in the original post.

0 Reps
JaredG
(825)
Solution

@axmx

You may be having this problem if you are attempting to decrypt using our "crypto utility" which has several different function, however if you have not used our Restore Manager to decrypt then I would recommend using it this time.

Here is the link to download our restore manager.

Here is a link to our Documentation with instructions on how to decrypt using the Mozy Restore Manag...

Please try this method one more time using the links above even if you have attempted this method before.

You mentioned using an encryption key that was backed up.  What's the name of the encryption key file you mentioned that was backed?  (Mozy encryption keys all have the same name by default unless you changed it after it was initially created).

If you use this particular method (this time around) and follow the instructions exactly by either importing a saved encryption key file or by manually typing in the key file and your data is still not readable/decrypted.  Then you most likely don't have the correct encryption key and will need to either find the key or delete the computer from your backup and start a new backup with a new key since your data will be useless without the original key.

I hope this post is helpful to you.

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you

Jared
Mozy Support
axmx
Spy
(3)

@JaredG,

Thank you for the additional steps.  I was able to decrypt the files using Restore Manager and and old personal key.  It looks like the Mozy backup software is using an older personal key (which I also kept).  The name of the file is privatemozykey.dat for both the new key and old key.

I wonder if the the Mozy Backup software might be misconfigured as it I am confused why the backups work via the backup software but the backup software can't restore/decrypt the restored files using the stored key (error in mozy.log is "ERROR wx:log : Could not decrypt <full path to file>").  I guess I will need to delete the computer from my account and backup again with the new key/the key I want to use.

Either way, using the old personal key worked, question/issue from the original post for is resolved.  Thank you for your help.

ScottS1
(182)

@axmx

Our pleasure. If you need anything in the future, don't hesitate to post! We would be more than happy to help you!

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps