Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Trending KB Articles This Week
Check out the articles that are popular this week, and some other information and articles that can help you find further resolution if you're experiencing these issues.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
firingsq...

Warrior
(5)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Is there a backup for a lost backup?

Machine 1 failed - bought Machine 2 - changed name in mozy from Machine 1 to machine 2

machine 2 backed up and overwrote machine 1.

deceided machine 2 was too slow - fixed machine 1 (which had all program and data files destroyed)

now I go to mozy ( 2 computers - my wifes and machine 2)

how can I get data files from machine 1?

angelag
Community Manager
(320)

Re: Is there a backup for a lost backup?

HI @firingsquad,

How long ago did you replace machine 1 with machine 2? If it's been less than 30 days, then the files for machine 1 will still be available for restore. It will only show the machine 2 name, but the old files backed up from machine 1 will be available by date for those 30 days.

What you'll want to do is go into the restore for machine 2 and change the date back to a date when machine 1 was last backing up, and it should allow you to grab those files as long as it's within the 30 day period still.

For more help and specific steps restoring those files, see: Cannot find files from old computer after replacing it

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
JaredG
(454)

@firingsquad

Have all of your questions been answered?  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
firingsq...

Warrior
(5)

cant see old backup - dont remember name - arnold?

last backup would have been on july 14 -20? was doing it daily before being nuced

thanks for your intereest

0 Reps
firingsq...

Warrior
(5)

tried to change restore date to july 14 wont let me - only shows dates of newer machine.

what now?

0 Reps
firingsq...

Warrior
(5)

realized old computer file had a different name 

0 Reps
ScottS1
(105)

@firingsquad

No worries! Did you need additional pointers or have additional questions?

Regards,

Scott
Mozy Support

0 Reps
firingsq...

Warrior
(5)

yes

cannot change dated back to july 14

dont know the name of older file (july14)

had a file name prior to july 20,differenct name july 20-22, another name after july 22

want the large file dated july 14 to restore !

thanks

0 Reps
JaredG
(454)
Solution

@firingsquad

The option to change restore dates only works as far back as your retention policy allows (30 days for Mozyhome customers and 60 days for Mozypro customers), so if you can't go back further then that's as far back as the retention policy goes.

If you don't know the name of the file or folder your looking for then you may always navigate and search the backup directories from any backup date that's within your retention policy for any familiar files or folders next to or with the file you're looking for.

Here is a link with instructions on how to search the backup history by date.

I hope this is helpful. 

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
angelag
Community Manager
(320)

@firingsquad,

Which machine is the name of the new machine on the account that replaced the old one? The old name will no longer show, but as long as you installed the new machine as a replacement, you should still be able to go back to July 14th to see those files. I'd like to take a look, but I'm not sure if it's the ANN or LAPTOP machine?

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps