Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Alert: Attention macOS High Sierra Users: We are aware there may be some compatibility issues between macOS High Sierra and Mozy. Your backed up data remains protected. We will continue to provide updates as they become available.

Latest from the Blog: Thinking About Signing Up for MozyPro?
Are you a new customer looking to protect your business data? Or maybe you're a MozyHome user who needs to make sure their work-related documents are protected and are thinking of upgrading to MozyPro? See why you should and how to do it in today's post...

September's Webinar: User Groups: What are they good for?
In case you missed it, today's webinar has been posted!
Larry_Mohr
Warrior
(5)
Solved (Go to Solution)

I'm restoring to a new computer. Will files NOT under C:\User\Name be restored?

I'm restoring to a new computer. Will files NOT under C:\User\Name be restored?  The restore to the new computer seemed to work, but I'm not finding folders that were not under the above structure. Will files in c:\Word Files on my old computer (now dead) be available?

0 Reps
AllanH
(203)

Re: I'm restoring to a new computer. Will files NOT under C:\User\Name be restored?

@Larry_Mohr

Hello,

To answer your question, we will need additional information regarding the method being used for restoring the files and also the options that were enabled while creating the restore download.

If you are restoring files from an older version of Windows to Windows 10 for example, the differences in the folder structure will make it so restoring files to their original location (which is the default) a bit trickier to work with as the Windows 10 folder structure has changes that make it so the locations for files will differ from older Windows versions.

Therefore, the files would still be restored, but part of the restore process will be to create folders that are missing in the Windows 10 filesystem to match what the original filesystem looked like. So the data should still be there if the download was successful,  however, the folder that will contain the data will likely be labelled 'C' and be found under C:\Users folder.

Typically, when restoring files that were backed up from older versions of Windows, we suggest you point the download to a folder designated for this that can be placed on the Desktop for easy access.

If you are still having issues locating your restored files, don't hesitate to post a reply. Also, the following support articles contain the steps for restoring files using both recommended methods:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Restoring-files-from-the-restore-tab

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Requesting-Web-Restore-for-All-Files

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Where-to-find-the-files-restored-through-the-Restore-Mana...

Hope that helps!

JaredG
(706)

Re: I'm restoring to a new computer. Will files NOT under C:\User\Name be restored?

@Larry_Mohr

Did Allan answer your question?

A common scenario when restoring to a new computer using the Mozy Restore Manager is when option "preserve original location" is used and the original computer has a different Windows user profile name than the new computer and the data is restored to the "original location" under the C:\Users\username\ and if the new computer doesn't have the original location then Mozy will create the original location.  

For example if your old computer's Windows profile name is "Larry" then your user data is located under C:\Users\Larry\ and if your new computers Windows profile name is LarryM and you restore the data preserving the original location then you will need to look under C:\Users\ for "LarryM" or C:\Users\LarryM\.

If you have a folder directly under the C drive as you mentioned C:\Word Files\ then Mozy will restore to that location and create the folder if it doesn't exist.

If you restore using a destination folder of your choice then Mozy will restore all the files in the same folder / file structure as it was backed up on the original computer but in the chosen destination folder.

I hope this is helpful for you.  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
Larry_Mohr
Warrior
(5)

Thanks JaredG for that info! However, I'm not seeing my C:\Word_Files data anywhere on my new PC! A further question:

Can I still see my "old" files (the original restore was on Jan 17) to see if my c:\word_file data is still there? If so, how would do that? 

Thanks for any more help you can provide!

Larry_Mohr

0 Reps
JaredG
(706)
Solution

@Larry_Mohr

As long as the files were selected for backup you can restore data that was selected for backup within 30 days on any day within that retention period. (Mozypro customers have 60 days)

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-long-does-Mozy-keep-my-files

I noticed that your backup has had consistently about 14.86 GBs with about 6091 files until January 6th where there were no backups until January 15th where the backup size dropped to about 2 GBs with about 235 files.

I've checked your backup history and I don't see any folders called C:\Word_Files that were selected for backup in your 30 days of retention / history.

Were the files accidentally deleted or did the computer crash since I don't see any backups since January 18th?

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
Larry_Mohr
Warrior
(5)

Thanks JaredG. When you files selected for backup, do you mean that I had to select C:\Word_files as a folder I wanted backup back when I was using Mozy on my old PC? 

In other words, would Mozy by default only back up files that were under c:\User\Mohr, but not files in c:\Word_files or C:\Excel_Files or C:\Lori's Pictures? 

Thanks,

Larry Mohr

JaredG
(706)

@Larry_Mohr

That's correct C:\Word_files must be selected in files system or it won't get backed up.

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(706)

@Larry_Mohr

Were all of your questions be answered?  If so then please mark the post that was the solution to your question.  If not and or you have other questions then please post your questions.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
AngelinaS
(222)

@Larry_Mohr   Was the information provided in this thread helpful in answering your questions?

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

0 Reps
angelag
Community Manager
(1235)

Hi @Larry_Mohr,

We haven't heard back from you in a while, so we're going to go ahead and mark this case as resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to let us know!

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps