Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Mozy Reseller Bites Ransomware with Mozy Backup and Restore
Check out how a pet store used Mozy to recover from a ransomware attack.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
dcedgren
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Getting that ONE file that didn't back up

Hey guys,

So I'm pretty sure the answer to this is going to be a negative, but I want to check just in case.

My laptop was stolen last night. Fortunately, it was last backed up by Mozy a day ago. Unfortunately, I hadn't tweaked my settings in a while and I realize now that none of my financial data or encrypted computer passwords were being backed up, because they have unusual file extensions.

I'm wondering if there's any way to change my settings online so if the crooks turn on my laptop and connect to wifi I can see if I can get it to back up these files as well. But so far I can only see a way to change backup settings locally, which isn't going to cut it for me unless I figure out where my laptop is first.

Any thoughts?

David

0 Reps
zachm
Admin Emeritus
(67)

Re: Getting that ONE file that didn't back up

I'm sorry it looks like this has not been addressed in the community. But I think this is one that a support agent has to handle. Let me get someone involved.

Zach M.
Community Manager
0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

@dcedgren

I'm sorry to hear that your laptop was stolen.  Mozypro customers do have some options available to adjust settings from your an account on the internet, unfortunately Mozyhome customers may only adjust settings locally on the computer.

However if the crooks turn the computer and backup takes place then we can pull the IP address from the backup which may assist your local law enforcement to locate the crooks.  There are some requirements that must be met for us to do this if another backup takes place.

Please post any questions for comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
dcedgren
Cook
(0)

@JaredG

Thanks for your reply, JaredG. I appreciate your help.

It is sad to hear that that isn't an option for MozyHome users (perhaps someday).

In terms of finding the computer, it looks like the last backup occurred 2 days ago, so I am not sure whether it was my last backup or their first. Is there any way to see at what time this occurred? What requirements would need to be met to get the IP address if we did find a backup occurred while it was not in my possession?

Thanks,

David

0 Reps
AngelinaS
(220)
Solution

@dcedgren  In order to request an IP address check, there has to be a police report.  This link explains what is needed:  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/Solution/What-to-do-if-your-computer-was-stolen  

If we are able to get an IP address, it can only be given to the investigating officer.

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie