Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
EddieSet...

Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Can't access Mozy files downloaded from purchased USB drive

My husband's ancient MacBook died and I gave him my old MacBook Pro.  He was not able to download his Mozy files to transfer from one computer to another, so  he purchased his Mozy files on a USB drive.  The files downloaded all day and when finished said that 8 gigs had been downloaded.  We can see the files in downloads, but can't open them. I went to URL given by Mozy with instructions, but I keep getting an error message.  He has had no data for a week and really needs help.

Benjamin_C
(104)

Re: Can't access Mozy files downloaded from purchased USB drive

I'm sorry to hear that! What kind of error are you getting? That would be the first step in trying to figure this out. You can also contact our chat support so we can give you better real time service:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-chat-with-support

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
EddieSet...

Student
(0)

My husband's efforts were unsuccessful. He could not get as far as entering the encryption key.  He was sent a new encryption key and I was able to use it today to start the download. After a few seconds I got the error: "Unknown Error" - not very helpful! I tried several times with same result. Restore Manager also crashed and I tried to resume  but it kept crashing. Any ideas?

In trying to help my husband today, I realized that our Mozy accounts are misnamed. I purchased a new MacBook Pro in June 2015 but was unsuccessful in getting my Mozy files transferred. I talked to Mozy tech support and also Apple tech support over many hours. Ultimately, Apple was able to transfer most of my files and created a second user on my new 2015 MacBook Pro

called "Eve's Old MacBook Pro."  I only began using the 2015 computer this January. I sign in under the user "Eve's Old MacBook Pro." The account name was not changed in Mozy so now I apparently have the data called "Eve's Old MacBook Pro" on the 2015 computer and my older computer (probably a 2012 model).  Now my husband needs the 2012 computer to replace his ancient MacBook Pro. It is his Mozy data we are now trying to download onto my 2015 MacBook Pro.  Could  this  confusion of names and devices ( Eve's data set on two computers, now trying to transfer Eddie's  Mozy data set onto the older of the two) be causing the problem?  In any event. we need to change the names on the account to clarify:

Eddie's MacBook Pro is dead; he will be using the 2015 computer now showing as Eve's Old MacBook Pro. I have been afraid to delete my data from that device but I can do so now.

Eve's Old MacBook Pro data is the user name I use on my new MacBook Pro.  I should change this but don't want to lose any data in the process. I need advice on how to make this change without putting my data at risk.

At the end of this process we should have three devices: Eddie's MacBook Pro, Eve's MacBook Pro, and the Dell laptop also showing on our account. 

Thanks for any help.

JaredG
(384)

@EddieSettles

I see an open case with us and appears that your issue maybe fully resolved.  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
EddieSet...

Student
(0)

The files are apparently present on the target computer but aren't visible. I can search for files if I remember the name. Hopefully over time I will be able to gain access to all the files by pulling them up and then saving them to documents on the new computer.

JaredG
(384)
Solution

@EddieSettles

If you are unable to locate the files restored, then they were most likely restored to the "original" location which might not exist if your the user profile name is different than it was on the original computer.  

If the original location was used to restore on the new computer then your data may be located under "Macintosh HD/Users/" and will NOT have the "house" icon next to the user name because the house icon indicates the current user profile, but will have the old computers user profile name without the "house" icon under the user folder.

This is where the data should be located unless a specific directory or folder was chosen.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
EddieSet...

Student
(0)

You are correct. I suppose I can change the user id and get all of the download displayed in Finder. I'll try and see.

AllanH
(203)

@EddieSettles

Were you able to recover your files? Let us know if you still need help.

Thanks!

JaredG
(384)

@EddieSettles

Even if the data is located under the user folder in the old Mac profile name, you can still select it for backup in the "files and folders" tab in the settings.  Or you may move the data from each respective folder within old user profile to the new user profile, like from documents to documents and pictures to pictures,  and then select the data for backup in the Mozy preferences in the "files and folders tab".

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
Tyler_W
(72)

@EddieSettles

We feel like this issue has been resolved. We are marking the solution for future reference. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead