Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
tristram
Assassin
(8)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Cannot start backup, over limit

My MozyHome Free account went a little over my limit, by 0.1 GB, 5 days ago. I have deleted a computer and reduced the total size of backup sets and files.

But I cannot start a backup to apply these changes. (Start Backup button on Status is grayed out.)

What can I do?

0 Reps
Tyler_W
(50)
Solution

Re: Cannot start backup, over limit

@tristram When the Start Backup button is grayed out that indicates that there was an issue with starting the service. To restart the service you will want to follow these steps: 

1. Open Services - To do this open your Run prompt by pressing down your windows key + R. Then type in there "services.msc" (without the quotes).
  2. Once you are in Services you will want to scroll down the list until you see MozyHome Backup Service.
  3. Select the service by clicking it once
  4. On the left side of that window you will either see "Start the service" or "Restart the service", whichever one you see you will want to click it. 
  5. Once the service shows that it's started, open back up the MozyHome status window and attempt to run the backup again.

Now you may be asking, "What caused this to happen in the first place?" While it's really difficult to narrow down the specific reason, 9 times out of 10 it's caused by another program blocking Mozy or stopping it's service. These programs are usually anti-virus software. 

To avoid this happening in the future we suggest that add these exclusions to your Anti-Virus software:

• C:\Program Files\MozyHome 
  • C:\Program Files\MozyHome\Data
  • C:\Program Files\MozyHome\mozybackup.exe
  • C:\Program Files\MozyHome\mozyconf.exe 
  • C:\Program Files\MozyHome\mozystat.exe 
  • C:\Program Files\MozyHome\mozyutil.exe 

**NOTE: Due to the fact that anti-virus programs are not developed by Mozy, we do not support them. If you have questions on how to add them to the exclusion list you will want to contact the support team for that software. 

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
JaredG
(482)

@tristram

How did Tyler_W's instructions work for you?  I would have checked your account to see if backups were working but the email address you used for your Mozy Community account does not appear in our system on an account, so you must have used a different email address.

If you believe there is no antivirus running on your computer then restart your computer and try again to run a backup.

Please post any questions or comments and let us know if you have any issues getting the Mozy service running again.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
PTNubs
(154)

@tristram

It would appear that you were able to restart the Mozy Backup Service as @Tyler_W noted.

I am seeing several successful backups over the last 2 days.

If you can please confirm and mark the appropriate post as the solution, we can close this thread.

Thanks.

Peter M
Community Moderator
tristram
Assassin
(8)

Many thanks, @Tyler_W, for your clear step-by-step instructions.
They worked perfectly! Now all is well again.

Thanks too for your explanation of why my problem happened, and how to prevent its happening again. It took some googling and poking around to figure out how to add the Mozy exclusions to my anti-virus (Avast), but I finally got that fixed too.

@JaredG: Yes, while I was trying to solve my problem, I did update my email address. That's why you couldn't find my account.

@PTNubs: Yes, I've had a number of successful backups, and I've reduced the size to comfortably under my quota.

Mozy's prompt and helpful support is truly impressive!

Tyler_W
(50)

@tristram

My pleasure. Please let us know in the future if you have any other issues.

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
0 Reps
ShawnL
Community Manager
(146)

@tristram

I'm so glad your issue was resolved! Please let us know if you have any additional questions and we will be glad to help!

Thank you for participating in the Mozy community!

Shawn L.
Community Manager
0 Reps