twirlerz...

Assassin
(1)
Solved (Go to Solution)

why is Mozy backing up from scratch again?

Recently my cable from my HD came loose and now Mozy is backing up ALL of my data from scratch again. Is this normal? And yes, I know it might appear that it is starting from the beginning and really not backing up all, but it is indeed transferring files that are old, never changed and already backed up from before. It's now trying to back up 150 gb worth of data. I've submitted a help ticket through the new support website portal but unfortunately it's been past 24 hours and I still have not gotten a response from support. Not even an acknowledgement indicating they received my concern. How do you get help around here??

alexb
Employee
(6)

Re: why is Mozy backing up from scratch again?

It is not normal to backup all your files again.

Please tell if your HD is an external. Are you running mozy home? Are you backing up with your private encryption key or using Mozy default encryption?

Please also pause your backup and open your settings and select your history tab. Click on your paused backup and verify that files were transferred in the details bottom panel of the history window. If files were transferred, they will have transfer time next to it.

Thanks,

Alexander

twirlerz...

Assassin
(1)

Alexander,

My HD is an 2nd internal drive. I'm running Mozy home but the paid subscription, not the free version. I'm backing up with Mozy's default encryption. I could not pause my backup, did not see how to do that. All I can see is how to cancel the backup altogether, which is what I did. I checked the history on that backup and it appears that 90% of the files do not have a transfer time next to them however the remaining 10% do, and they are indeed old files that were backed up a long time ago, during my very 1st backup. Do you have any ideas as to what is happening. I still have not heard from Mozy support on this issue and from what I've been reading I'm not holding my breath waiting for an answer from them. Seems as support is out the window lately.

Pablo
Cook
(0)

Same problem here. Mozy is backing everything up all over again. Not sure why. Paused it and resumed and looked in the history and sure enough it is indeed backing up from scratch.

johnhboyd
Student
(0)

After three weeks of fighting with Tech Support about this as well as other issues, I finally got a message today that it 'MIGHT' be connected with all of their current problems on communications with the servers.

RichardR
Elite Level 1
(3)

Same issue here.  But my problems with Mozy started several months ago just after my yearly subscription auto-renewed:

Several months ago I noticed that Mozy was no longer backing up changed files. Tech Support told me to uninstall/reinstall Mozy. So I lost my entire configuration, but after I recreated it Mozy was smart enough NOT to re-backup the files already on their servers. Everything seemed to be working again after that.

Then, along came Mozy Version 2 which seemed to work fine for a few weeks. But then it stopped working, and the Configuration program would completely freeze just after opening, and the only way to close it was via Windows Task Manager. Every time I tried to start a backup I would get something about my user name and password being incorrect. But I can log onto Mozy's website just fine.

Next, I uninstalled V.2 and reinstalled the older V 1.16.4.0. And I had saved my conf.dat file before uninstalling V2 and put it back after reinstalling the older version. Now Mozy is backing up everything from scratch again! And to make matters much worse, it is backing up so slowly, it may take years to finish: Much of the time Mozy is not uploading anything, and when it is uploading it is typically in the speed range of 10-15 kbps! Only occasionally does it go up to the expected 650-750 kbps range. And I know the problem is not my ISP because when I send a test email to myself with a large attachment, it just zips along as I would expect (I can see the rapid light flashing on my modem and router).

The only solution to all this seems to be to dump Mozy. I'm testing a competitor now, and while there were some problems, it seems to be working well after rebooting my machine.

mikee
Student
(0)

Similar problem here.

My external drive USB got disconnected.

I didnt notice for about a week.

It appears that Mozy decided that I didnt want the files on this drive backed up anymore and it removed them all.

What if the drive had died. It looks like I would have lost everything.

This makes Mozy pretty much useless. I need to find another service. I wonder if I can get my money back since it appears that I have never really had any security with this service.

RichardR
Elite Level 1
(3)

Perhaps if Mozy would devote as much attention to fixing their problems as they did to editing my last post, I wouldn't need to be testing a specific competitor's product.

mike
Community Manager
(129)

Sorry Richard, we just don't allow the promotion of competitors on our boards.

Mike Jones
Community Administrator
mike
Community Manager
(129)

A couple of things could be going on here. A lot of peole think the files are being re-backed up when really they are just being re-associated. This takes a little bit of time for the encrypting and comparing files to the servers files, but it is much faster than re-uploading.

If the files are actually re-uploading then you either switched encryption keys, or the integrity check is asking for a rebase. A rebase is where the file is uploaded from scratch to get rid of all of the patches and get a new original file. The way mozy works is you upload the original file, then everytime the file changes, a patch gets uploaded so the entire file doesn't have to be re-uploaded. If a file like an email pst files (not all of your files) has tons of patches on it, the integrity check might tell it to re-upload to be safe.

Mike Jones
Community Administrator