Click to close the image preview
I am getting the following error when trying to update Mozy or when trying to reinstall: 'mozyshell.dll failed to register. hresult -**Removed**'.
I have tried updating to the latest C++ and uninstalling and reinstalling but it makes no difference. I can't find any related solutions on here other than for XP.
Windows 10 Pro 64
Solved! Go to Solution.
What version of the software are you trying to download and run at this time?
Are all Windows Updates fully installed and applied?
Yes, all Windows Updates are up to date.
The current Mozy version I have on my PC is 22.214.171.1242. I think this is quite old but that is the last time auto update worked without this error. The version I am trying to install is 126.96.36.1995. I have had the error for a while now which started with the auto update at that time.
The likeliest cause is that something is blocking the .dll from being able to properly install. I'd recommend we try a clean uninstall/reinstall with these steps:
Please follow these steps to do a clean uninstall/reinstall of MozyHome:
1. Uninstall Mozy by going to Start > All Programs > MozyHome > Uninstall
2. Reboot the Computer
3. Temporarily disable all security software (Firewall, antivirus, etc.) as they may be blocking the full install
4. Download the latest software from mozy.com/home/download
5. Reinstall the downloaded software
6. Re-select your files for backup by following the steps in this article: Selecting Files to Backup Using the FileSystem Tab
7. Re-enable all security programs one by one, and make sure Mozy is added as a trusted program and/or exclusion to scanning in each of them, specifically, you want to make sure that the mozystat.exe, mozybackup.exe and the mozyconf.exe (may also be called mozysettings.exe) are added from C:\Program Files\Mozy.
Please let me know how that goes.
Hours: Monday-Friday 7AM-4PM
For your future reference, we have a fantastic Knowledge Base with answers to just about any question you may have regarding your backup and restore with Mozy. You can access it at http://support.mozy.com/KnowledgeBaseHome
Thanks for your replies. I haven't yet tried Angela's proposed solution yet but I have tried Jared's. However, I still get the same error. Please see attached JPG. It shows a few C++ redistributable packages installed on my PC. Is this correct or should I remove all but the version you linked to in your previous message?
You shouldn't have any problems with other version of the C++ redistributable package installed, in fact I've never seen where this solution fails to work. Something else maybe wrong here but if you would like to remove other versions of the C++ redistributable package, then you could give that a try.
Please post any questions or comments.
I tried uninstalling the other C++ redistributable packages but as you can see by the attached, it made no difference.
Thank you for your response. It appears there are vital .dll components that simply are having difficulty being removed or even installing to begin with. When you uninstalled the software, did you reboot? It seems there are still traces that seem to not let go. My suggestion is this:
- I have created a case for you (01611435)
- I will keep in touch through your email address there
- I am going to attach a custom uninstaller to help wipe out Mozy
- Reboot afterwards
Let's keep in touch through the case. I will mark this thread as Resolved as we must now move to more secure communication. But suffice it to say, we will have to use the Custom Uninstaller to wipe our Mozy and try again. It sounds to me you have all the components necessary.
Note: While you wait for instructions, please make sure you are up to date with Windows Updates.