Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: How to Find Your Support ID
MozyPro customers who are looking for Phone Support will need their 9-digit Support ID in order to get through. Today's blog post covers the steps you need to take to find yours...

September's Webinar: User Groups: What are they good for?
This months webinar on 09/27 will look at User Groups: what they are, how to use them and how to get the most benefit from them for your organization. Register today!
Highlighted
h1618
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

XP support dropped with 2.32.6.564 for no reason

running %allusersprofile%\temp\mozy-manualupdate-$$$.exe in XP gives an error: not a valid win32 application. Reason is: in the PE header Vista is set as minimal version (06); patching the header to 05 lets the installer run, but it is not able to start the services: mozybackup.exe, mozystat.exe, mozyconf.exe and mozyutil.exe all are set to Vista minimum. Patching them also to XP/05 makes them work, and the installer can finish.

So obviously you switched your Visual Studio to a newer version and did not change the default target OS from Vista to XP - easy in project's properties. Other than that no new API calls are used, so XP compatibility is merely a setting. Please enable Mozy Home for XP again!

angelag
Community Manager
(1191)

Re: XP support dropped with 2.32.6.564 for no reason

@h1618,

I'm very sorry to hear that you're frustrated. Unfortunately Microsoft ended support for Windows XP back in 2014.

When a provider ends support for their own Operating System, we have to follow suit and end our support for it as well. Since they are no longer supporting it, we can no longer work with them to release proper security updates and patches to make sure it works properly. When Microsoft ended their support we also had to do the same.

We currently support Windows 7 (though it has a scheduled Microsoft end of life date as well), as XP was ended in 2014 and Vista ended just last month. Unfortunately none of our newer versions will work on either of those operating systems due to their lack of support for SHA-2.

If you'd like, you can revert back to an older client (2.28.2) to continue backing up that old machine with Mozy, just be aware that the older client may eventually end-of-life as well (we have no current date/plan for it though) and that your machine is not supported so we cannot provide much troubleshooting for it any longer.  We do recommend that you upgrade your operating system to one that is supported by Microsoft as soon as possible.

To revert back to 2.28

1. Uninstall Mozy by going to Start > All Programs > MozyHome > Uninstall
  2. Reboot the computer
  3. Reinstall this version: mozy-2_28_2_432-69291.exe
  4. Reselect your files for backup by following the steps in this article: Selecting Files to Backup Using the FileSystem Tab

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
h1618
Cook
(0)

Hello Angela,

thanks for your reply. But let us get the facts right:

It is not true that none of the newer (than 2.28) versions work on Windows XP. Actually I had the previous version (2.32.4 I believe) working on Windows XP like a charm, no issues found.

If is not true that the latest - 2.32.6.564 - does not work on Windows XP - in fact it does, provided one changes the PE header flags of all executables from Vista to XP. I this moment I finished a backup from my XP machine using 2.32.6.564  without any problems at all.

So please do not spread rumors that are simply not true. There is no technical reason 2.32.6 does not install and run on Windows XP, it is all about labeling. And this labeling is done by your IDE (MS Visual Studio 2015?) depending on projects settings. It does not need anything more than just ONE click in your IDE to set the minimal required OS from Vista to XP to keep on supporting XP. Is this really asking too much?

angelag
Community Manager
(1191)
Solution

@h1618,

Thanks for the info, I'm glad to hear that you have it running on there without issues. Unfortunately since it's no longer a supported operating system we cannot include it in our support or updates, and will not be doing so going forward. We do recommend only using supported operating systems, as we cannot guarantee proper execution and security on older and entirely unsupported operating systems.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
Sparky104
Cook
(0)

I too am unable to receive 2.32.6.564 but it keeps popping up for me to manual update it.  If Mozy does not support XP then why have it pop up for a manual update every few days?