mike
Community Manager
(128)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Windows Client 2.0 Fix for Setup Hanging and Backup Hanging

**Update**

If you are experiencing a hang or stall during a backup with the 2.0 client, please understand we are aware of the issue and are working on a fix that should be released real soon. Here is a temporary work around:

1. Right click on the Mozy icon in the system tray (usually on the lower right hand side of your screen).

2. Left click on settings.

3. Click on options.

4. Click on performance.

5. Make sure enable bandwidth throttle is not checked. (See picture below)

6. On the faster computer/quicker backups slider move the slider all the way over to quicker backups. And click OK

7. Start a backup

33i84238E9F9A59E1A0
If the client is hanging during the login portion of the install:

1) Open up the command prompt. This may be done by typing "cmd" on the "Run..." line or finding it in "All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt."

On Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Server 2008, you may need to right-click the command prompt icon and select "Run as Administrator."
2) Run the command "netsh winsock reset"
3) Reboot the machine

If you continue to encounter the same problems, please refer to these two Microsoft articles:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

Mike Jones
Community Administrator
Bruce
Cook
(0)

Re: Windows Client 2.0 Fix for Setup Hanging and Backup Hanging

New Win XP Pro box being used as a server (only 3 of us)

Only software installed Kasbersy AV & PC Anywhere.

When I go into settings the dialogue box hangs and nothing can be seletcted.

India were of no help, all he managed to do was take away permissions from our data folder rendering it inaccessible neding me to get out IT support guy out (and pay for him)!!!!!!!!

I am at the point if this cant be easily resolved scrapping Mozy, I have wated too much time this week on it.

dupku
Samurai Level 2
(54)

running "netsh winsock reset" as Administrator, in Win7, I get the message Access is denied. I am logged in as the system Admin and run the command window as an Admin but it's not working.

now what?

mike
Community Manager
(128)

Do you have a firewall or something that could be blocking you from running a winsock reset?

Mike Jones
Community Administrator
Bruce
Cook
(0)

No, but the problem is solved, I change to a competitor, the software worked first time, no messing around setting computer, keys etc.

Thanks

Bruce

xan
Spy
(0)

I am not able to back up using Mozy Home. The last time I successfully backed up was 6/10/10. Then I upgraded to 2.0. Since that time, when Mozy tries to backup, it hangs up on "Communicating with MozyHome servers."

I have zonealarm firewall--I followed your instructions to make sure it allows Mozy to access the internet.

Next I followed these instructions--1) Open up the command prompt. This may be done by typing "cmd" on the "Run..." line or finding it in "All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt."

2) Run the command "netsh winsock reset"
3) Reboot the machine

This did not resolve my problem.

Next I followed the instructions on this webpage: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259

This dis not resolve my problem.

I did not follow the instructions on this webpage because I have Windows XP and it refers to Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357

My Mozy History says that the results are Connection Error 3, but when I viewed solutions to this problem none of them applied.

I have a constant internet connection; plenty of RAM, and often Mozy is the only internet activity. As I previously said, this issue did not occur until I updated to version 2.0.

Since that time, I have attempted to back up numerous times and have been unsuccessful.

Thanks,

Xan

faisalsa...

Student
(0)

Similar situation here. However, before and after Mozy 2.0 upgrade, the issue is the same:

1 - Mozy is initiated. I click on configuration to change settings.

2 - Mozy configuration window (mozy config exe) literally takes an average of 10-15 minutes (before peaking memory utilization around 1GB), then it it comes back to life, allowing me to make any changes.

3- Once changes are saved, it again goes into a black hole, trying to communicate with the server, while I notice that RAM utilization slowly creeps up to about 1GB again. This process takes another 10-15 minutes

4 - Then the backup starts, and the speed is up to 2Mbps, which is reasonably fast.

5 - When I want to pause the backup, again, RAM utilization creeps up to 1GB, only then is the backup paused. Mind you, I have a reasonably powerful laptop, with Windows 7 Ultimate, and 4GB of RAM, and at least 250 GB of free disk space.

My data backup size is 150GB. I have applied all techniques listed here, and on the two Microsoft KB articles. The issue remains. Any fix coming out soon?

I am not very happy with how this application works, and I expected better products and quality of service from Mozy.

I will say that I am actively looking for alternatives to this service, as I don't have the time and energy to battle issues related to this software/service. Data backup should not be this difficult.

Faisal

adambrock
Elite Level 2
(4)

Faisalsadaf, I'm having the same issue as you.  I've been working with support for over a month (even when 2.0 was in beta) to get the issue resolved, but they haven't made much progress.  Gordon's been very friendly and helpful, it's just annoying this has been going on for over a month.  At the same time I realize the support team can only do so much, and it's up to the development team to get the issue resolved.

Gordon said he's hoping they'll have this fixed in version 2.2, but isn't positive.  The issue seems to happen anytime a backup happens on a machine that is backing up more than 10,000  250,000 files.  The workaround is supposed to be to select your files using the "backup sets" tab, instead of the "file system" tab (I think those are the correct terms, but I don't feel like hosing my machine for 30 minutes just so I can double check, lol).

When mozybackup.exe pegs my machine (CPU and RAM), it looks to be reading the conf.dat file over and over.  For me, this happens for about 8 hours every backup.  Here's what my mozy.log looks like:

10Jun2010 15:53:47 mozybackup.exe: Retrieving manifest from servers...
10Jun2010 16:02:22 mozybackup.exe: DEBUG 2608 06A205F8 mordor:http:client .\http\client.cpp:1280 62-1
10Jun2010 16:02:30 mozybackup.exe: INFO 2608 06A205F8 mordor:socket .\socket.cpp:189 04D51B00 close(16408): (0)
10Jun2010 23:32:46 mozybackup.exe: INFO 2748 003DE3F0 mordor:socket .\socket.cpp:307 04D531F8 connect(1736, **Removed**:443): (0)
10Jun2010 23:32:47 mozybackup.exe: DEBUG 2748 003DE3F0 mordor:http:client .\http\client.cpp:906 63-1 PUT /namedObjects/(SNIPPED)

If anyone from Mozy wants more information about this issue, please contact me.  I'm more than willing to do anything I can to help get this issue resolved.

ETA:  Correct amount of files in the problem description (250,000)

kcox
Elite Level 1
(8)

Totally doesn't work.

I have disabled Mozy with intention to discontinue service if a fix isn't delivered in a week.

I've been without backup for three weeks now. 2.0 is so bad I have to launch taskmanager when I boot and manually kill every process associated with Mozy so that it doesn't stall my machine. This is more like malware than a useful service!

Cedarman
Assassin
(10)

This does not work on Windows 7.  This does:

1. Click on Windows 7 Start Button

2. Go to All Programs-> Accessories and right on Command Prompt and select “Run as Administrator” from context menu.

3. Copy the following and paste it into the command prompt window: netsh winsock reset catalog

This will reset winsock entries.

4. Now copy this command into the same window to reset the TCP/IP stack: netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

5. Reboot

Steve H