Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
New from the Blog: Tour of your MozyHome Account
Join us for Part 1 and 2 in our series where we provide a detailed tour of the MozyHome account settings.

May's Webinar: How long does my data stay on Mozy servers?
This months webinar on 05/31 will look at the recent changes to the Mozy retention policies which gives users access to older versions of files for longer. Register today!

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
CristanF
Warrior
(8)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Unknown publisher pop-up

Hello - When I update Mozy, a pop-up tells me that an "unknown publisher" is asking to access my computer. To avoid malware (i.e. with access from fake Adobe prompt) Is there a way to verify that the prompt/updates are actually from Mozy? Or at least to download the updates directly from Mozy site? Thank you.

faris
Cook
(1)

Re: Unknown publisher pop-up

It gets worse. If you do ignore the error, and you happen to have Norton Security installed, on reboot it will warn you that the MozyHome Service bootstrapper does not have a valid digital signature and, by default, will block it from accessing the internet.

Essentially the latest binaries released do not have a valid digital signature, causing both issues.

Normally, you *should not* allow any software to be installed from an unknown publisher unless you really, really, really know what you are doing and know that the source is safe. Similarly, you should follow Norton's recommendation and not allow a service with an invalid digital signature to access the internet.

This applies even for Mozy. Theoretically (but not in this case), these errors could mean the binary has been tampered with by a third party. That's one of the reasons digital signatures exist.

So, to be completely safe, you should not allow the install. The best thing to do would be to wait until the devs fix the signature issue.

But anyone (like myself) who has already allowed it should not panic. It is no big deal. As far as I can see it is a simple error/omission and not the result of anything bad happening to the code.

Someone from Mozy will, I sincerely hope, post here and confirm all is well.

CristanF
Warrior
(8)

Many thanks!!!

remymozy
(94)

@faris @CristanF

The automatic update is unfortunately not signed/verified because of how we roll out the Mozy update builds. Some anti-viruses might flag this but I can assure you the automatic update is safe. It simply contains only the files that need updating. If you want a signed/verified update you will need to do a manual update. Simply download the Mozy program and install it over the top of your current Mozy install. You can download the latest version of Mozy here: https://mozy.com/product/download/backup/mozyhome

JaredG
(451)
Solution

@faris@CristanF

Our software is digitally signed by Windows, however there are some builds of Windows 10 that are not recognizing that Mozy has signed drivers and there for we are working with Microsoft to get a new digitally signed certificate that all Windows operating systems will recognize.

There will be a Mozy update with a new signed driver certificate with in the next two weeks.

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
ScottS1
(36)

@CristanF

You're welcome. All the best to you! Don't hesitate to reach out to us if you need anything else!

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Support

ShawnL
Community Manager
(455)

@CristanF @faris - Please let us know if you need any additional help and thank you for using the Mozy forums!

Shawn L.
Community Manager