We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

/t5/Mozy-for-Windows/Two-Factor-Authentication/td-p/62355

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
amp
Spy
(4)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Two Factor Authentication

This is a critical security feature currently offered by Google and others.  I'm seriously considering switching to another service, because Mozy does not offer this extra layer of protection.  Is it in the works?  If so, when can we expect to see it?

mm00659
Student
(0)

Re: Two Factor Authentication

amp,

We are aware of this technology and are considering it.  We do have similar features for Enterprise customers.   No ETA at this time.  Stay tuned.

Thanks,

Jeffwi

0 Reps
Techalder
(254)

Amp,

Just wanted to chime in here.......  Jeff is correct as we are looking at authentication methods.  We have done some interesting things in past with encryption that might be helpful.  While we are looking at the authentication methods as multi-factor authentication...

• Something the user knows (e.g., password, PIN, pattern);
  • Something the user has (e.g., ATM card, smart card); and
  • Something the user is (e.g., biometric characteristic, such as a fingerprint).

With encryption, even if somebody were to get to the data, it would be useless and we have instances where the end client doesn't even have the encryption keys available.....  It would be easier to explain it directly to you as to how it can be implemented and it seems to be successful with out other clients.  Email me at chrisal@mozy.com for further information.

Tech  :-)

0 Reps
Techalder
(254)
Solution

Thanks for emailing me.......

For now, since the multi-factor authentication isn't available, you can simply use an encryption key method.  It would include re-installing Mozy and when you are asked about encryption, use the "custom" option.  It will then ask for a key. This can be text from a text file, or simply a password.  I've had people copy paragraphs from a book or the Bible or something that is standard that nobody else would know about.  Then, once this copied into the field for the custom key, any data that resides on this end would be useless unless the person who has that exact key gets to it.  The user would use the Mozy program to download the files to the machine and it would decrypt the files on the fly.  If the user were at a remote location, the files could be downloaded from the web, however, you would need the decryption utility from our site and apply it to the folder(s) where the data is located and it would require the encryption key. Would something like this work for you.  It wouldn't prevent the access to the files as much as a multi-step authentication, but if somebody got the data, it would be gobbly-gook and nobody would be able to see the contents..........

Configuring Encryption Article ID: 000003109 Date: 07/15/2012                   

Mozy's default is 448-bit Blowfish encryption. You also have the ability to encrypt your data with your own personally generated 256-bit AES key.

CAUTION: If you opt to use a private key, you are responsible for remembering that key. If you lose or forget your personal key, you WILL NOT be able to access your backed up files when they are restored. Mozy does not keep any record of any custom keys used.

The encryption type must be selected during your initial install. After Mozy is finished installing, you will see the Summary window. You can click on the Change Encryption link at the bottom of the window to change it. Select the encryption method you want there. If you choose to use a private key, enter the key by copying or typing it into the Enter Keyfield or importing a key file using the Browse button next to the Import Key field.

NOTE: It is HIGHLY recommended that you either save a copy of that key on a separate external storage device, or print it and store it in a safe location. Click OK when done, or Cancel to return to the summary

How to change your MozyPro encryption key Article ID: 000003445 Date: 07/15/2012                   

To change from a Default to Custom, or change from Custom to Default, please follow these instructions.

Important: After changing your encryption you will be required to reupload all your data resulting in a longer than normal backup. Before changing your encryption, ensure your machine does not have any problems that may put your data at risk during the time until your files are backing up again.

First delete the machine from your account to ensure that your data isn't stored with both a 448-bit Blowfish and 256-bit AES encryption.

To delete the machine in your MozyPro account:

1. Log in to the Admin Console. For additional information, see Logging in to the Admin Console.
  2. In the left menu, click Search/List Machines under Users.
  3. Click the name of the machine you want to delete.
  4. Click Delete Machine, then click OK to confirm the deletion.

After the machine is deleted, you will see a new license key appear under Assign Keys. Enter that key during the setup wizard.
To reinstall Mozy:

1. Hold down the shift key and right-click on the Mozy icon in the system tray.
  2. Select Launch setup wizard...
  3. On the Summary screen select Change Encryption only if you want to use a customer encryption key. If you just want to use the default encryption skip to step 8.
  4. Click Use a Private Key.
  5. Enter your private key or import it from a text document. 
  6. Click on OK.
  7. Click Next.
  8. Click Settings and make sure everything that needs to be backed up is selected, set your schedule etc..
  9. Click OK.

Note: If you are using custom encryption and the custom key is lost your data will not be able to be restored.

What should I do if I lose my private encryption key? Article ID: 000003760 Date: 07/15/2012                   

What should I do if I lose my private encryption key?

Unfortunately, your data is inaccessible without the correct encryption key. Since you chose to use your own private key, we do not have access to your data and cannot help you decipher the information.

Remember to choose a private encryption key that you will not forget, or use Mozy's own encryption key.

If you cannot access your data, you need to do a full backup of all your data since the machine is new to Mozy. Your user account settings, quota, credits, and preferences remain the same.

0 Reps
charlie
Cook
(2)

I agree.   The absence of Two Factor Authentication troubles me.   I raised this on the forum over 3 - probably more than 4 - years ago.     Since then 2FA has gone fairly mainstream (think icloud, paypal, gmail, many banks to name a few). I don't see why Mozy is dragging its feet on this.

Please make this a priority!

cheers

amp
Spy
(4)

Has any progress been made on multifactor authentication?  It's standard on so many sites these days.

username...

Master Level 1
(2984)

amp wrote:

Has any progress been made on multifactor authentication?  It's standard on so many sites these days.

It would best nice if Mozy had this...

...but don't hold your breath.

0 Reps
dbruskin
Elite Level 1
(16)

I agree - this is becoming an issue with the increased data breaches. The lack of Mozy providing multi-factor authentication turning point for me to move to another platform. I don't understand why Mozy hasn't adopted 2FA as an option. Even for login/data restore requiring 2FA would be a huge leap.

I agree. I've been using Mozy since 2006 but it's now the only service I use that doesn't offer two-factor authentication, and I won't be renewing.

username...

Master Level 1
(2984)

CaroleRiley wrote:

I agree. I've been using Mozy since 2006 but it's now the only service I use that doesn't offer two-factor authentication, and I won't be renewing.

I agree too. 2FA should at least be an option.

I won't be renewing either...

...but only because I use the free version :-)

I like Entrust's OTP app

http://www.entrust.com/products/mobile-otp/