Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Mozy Reseller Bites Ransomware with Mozy Backup and Restore
Check out how a pet store used Mozy to recover from a ransomware attack.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Solved (Go to Solution)

Shuriken malware in Mozy file detected by Bitdefender

For the last few days, Bitdefender said it found Shuriken malware in a file named MOZY-2_26_3_393-58496.EXE.  Each time, I've quarantined and deleted this file (although I'm not sure if the file name is exactly the same each time), but it keeps coming back.

I'm going through Bitdefender forum to see if they have a solution.

Has anyone else seen this?

0 Reps
JaredG
(503)

Re: Shuriken malware in Mozy file detected by Bitdefender

@RichardN

I've never hear of one of our .EXE setup files being flagged by an antivirus or anti-malware program but that doesn't mean that the file hasn't been changed or modified by a virus or malware program.  

You say that you have deleted the file, but was that delete procedure done through the Bitdefender or directly on the file in Windows Explorer?  I would attempt to delete the file directly in Windows File Explorer if you haven't already using the "Shift" key + Delete to delete the file without sending it to the recycle bin.

If the file keeps coming back as you say it has then I would run a "full scan" using Bitdefender to make sure it searches the entire computer for a possible virus or malware.

Also if the file keeps returning even after running a full scan using Bitdefender then you may want to try using a different antivirus / malware program to search.

I once had McAfee running on my home computer and got a virus that it could not "clean" that Norton antivirus was able find and get rid of.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(503)

@RichardN

Are you still having the same problem?  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
Solution

Thanks for your response.

First of all, I mistakenly said that Bitdefender found the malware, when it was actually Malwarebytes.  (I confused the two because of
an unrelated issue with Bitdefender.)

After my original post, I looked at Malwarebytes' reports, because the malware was getting flagged 3-4 days
in a row -- even though Malwarebytes said it was deleted each time.  The reports said "removal failed."

Anyway, I was able to find the malware file and deleted (using shift-delete).

ShawnL
Community Manager
(146)

@RichardN - Thanks so much for posting an update on this thread! We're happy to hear that you were able to remove the Malware on your machine. 

Have a wonderful day and thank you for using the Mozy forum!

Shawn L.
Community Manager
0 Reps