Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
TOPGUN
Sensei Level 1
(28)
Solved (Go to Solution)

SECOND COMPUTER SAVING SAME FILES AS THE FIRST AS A SAFEGUARD

It should be possible as a safeguard to arrange that the same data can be saved twice on two separate compuers so that if one goes down -the second is always there -can this be done?

TERRY

Benjamin_C
(198)

Re: SECOND COMPUTER SAVING SAME FILES AS THE FIRST AS A SAFEGUARD

There may be ways of backing up the files to two computers, but we at Mozy don't offer such a service. We do have something called 2x protect where you would purchase an external hard drive and backup the files to that drive also:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-enable-Mozy-2xProtect-Local-Backup1

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
TOPGUN
Sensei Level 1
(28)

Benjamin,

Thanks for the information

-I note Mozy doesn't offer the service I have asked about-

may I suggest that the proposal be now submitted as an idea for future consideration-

when I tried to do this I got a message saying that I had 'insufficient ranking' to leave a suggestion/idea-

I would mention that I do already backup certain files separately to a an external hard drive outwith Mozy .

Terry Man Frustrated

0 Reps
JaredG
(482)

@TOPGUN

Mozy will create a "local mirror" of the cloud backup if you use the "2xProtect" option in the Mozy settings.  I don't know of anyone who offers the service you requested, however using Mozy's 2xprotect option works great for most of our customers so if anything happens to the computer you will have an immediate local copy to restore from if needed as well as the Mozy cloud backup you can restore from anywhere you have an internet connection.

Please post any other questions or comments, otherwise please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(482)

@TOPGUN

Mozy will create a "local mirror" of the cloud backup if you use the "2xProtect" option in the Mozy settings.  I don't know of anyone who offers the service you requested, however using Mozy's 2xprotect option works great for most of our customers so if anything happens to the computer you will have an immediate local copy to restore from if needed as well as the Mozy cloud backup you can restore from anywhere you have an internet connection.

Please post any other questions or comments, otherwise please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
TOPGUN
Sensei Level 1
(28)

Sir,

What do I have to do -eg: change to 2 computers in my contract right away?-is this expensive ? -also how do I do it-can you give some advice please? 

Terry

0 Reps
JaredG
(482)

@TOPGUN

You don't need 2 computers to backup a local copy, you just need an external hard drive at least double the size of your backup.

Follow the instructions from the link below on how to setup 2xprotect.

Here is the link to our knowledge base with instructions on how to enable the 2xProtect option.

Your only cost here is the price of your external drive.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(127)

@TOPGUN

Were the steps suggested by Jared and Ben able to help you? Did you have additional questions, or does this resolve your concern? Please let us know at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
TOPGUN
Sensei Level 1
(28)

I have run of the instructions but don't understand page 2 -can you give any further clarification-eg:surely the drive on the external disc will not be described a c:/?;and the bit about max and min folder and file sizes?

I will buy another external drive in the future-can you confirm that it will be ok for me ,to continue backing up as at present to my present external drive with windows backup?-as well as Mozy2xProtect?

-Also re data transfer do I disable the computer hibernation every 15mins?to speed up things-I know how to do this however

Terry

0 Reps
angelag
Community Manager
(320)
Solution

@TOPGUN,

It's correct that you cannot set the drive for your local backup to be C. The point of Local Backup is to save a copy of the files off of the main drive you're backing up to a different drive for double protection and easier access should your drive crash. So the program wont let you save it to the same drive you're backing up from.

The Max/Min folder sizes are in regards to how large the local backup can grow. If you have limited space on that local backup drive it is recommended you set these so that Mozy will automatically clear out older data as it saves newer data, in order to not take up too much of your external drive.

Mozy2xProtect and Windows Backup may conflict with each other if they're competing for resources and space on the drive, but typically if there's enough room and you're not saving the files to the exact same folder on the external drive, you shouldn't have an issue using the same drive.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps