Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Trending KB Articles This Week
Check out the articles that are popular this week, and some other information and articles that can help you find further resolution if you're experiencing these issues.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(54)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Restoring after factory reset

So my computer crashed (again, blue screen) & I was forced to do a factory reset which wiped all my files & all my installed software from my laptop, other then the factory pre installed software. Is there a way to restore my mozy backup files back on to the laptop so the files go to there original places or do I have to restore all the files to one folder & then put them where I want them? thanks 

0 Reps
JaredG
Moderator
(454)

Re: Restoring after factory reset

@dommm

 

You may use the option to "preserve the original location" in the restore wizard only if the Windows user profile name has the same name as the computer that backed up.

 

Say that your first computers Windows profile name was Bob but your new computers profile name is Bob Smith and you restore using the option to preserve original location.  

Since the folder Bob under C:\users\ doesn't exist then Mozy will create the original location C:\users\Bob\ next to the existing user Bob Smith under C:\users\Bob Smith\.

Then you will have to open Windows explorer and go to C:\users\Bob\ to locate the restored data.

I hope this makes sense.  

 

So if the old backup was under C:\users\Bob\ and your new Windows profile name is Bob under C:\users\Bob\, then Mozy can restore to the original location since it exists and will place all the data back to the Bob user profile in Documents, Desktop, Pictures and so forth.

 

Please post any questions or comments.

 

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(54)

Re: Restoring after factory reset


JaredG wrote:

@dommm

 

You may use the option to "preserve the original location" in the restore wizard only if the Windows user profile name has the same name as the computer that backed up.

 

Say that your first computers Windows profile name was Bob but your new computers profile name is Bob Smith and you restore using the option to preserve original location.  

Since the folder Bob under C:\users\ doesn't exist then Mozy will create the original location C:\users\Bob\ next to the existing user Bob Smith under C:\users\Bob Smith\.

Then you will have to open Windows explorer and go to C:\users\Bob\ to locate the restored data.

I hope this makes sense.  

 

Please post any questions or comments.

 

Thank you,


Thanks for your reply JaredG

 

While doing the factory restore I made sure I entered the same name as the original. I even logged onto my mozy account (using a different laptop) to check the name to make sure I was entering the exact same name as before the crash & factory reset. So if I understand you correctly, as long as the name is the same, I just need to select the option "preserve original location"? Second question, do I need to use the mozy manager software to do this? thanks

0 Reps
Benjamin_C
Moderator
(189)
Solution

Re: Restoring after factory reset

Often people do a web restore for this kind of thing:

 

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Requesting-Web-Restore-for-All-Files

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
0 Reps
ScottS1
Moderator
(105)

Re: Restoring after factory reset

@dommm

 

Were you able to restore your files to where you wanted them successfully?

 

Regards,

 

Scott

Mozy Support

0 Reps
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(54)

Re: Restoring after factory reset


Benjamin_C wrote:

Often people do a web restore for this kind of thing:

 

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Requesting-Web-Restore-for-All-Files


Thank you for the link. Followed the instructions & all is back to normal.

dommm
Samurai Level 1
(54)

Re: Restoring after factory reset


ScottS1 wrote:

@dommm

 

Were you able to restore your files to where you wanted them successfully?

 

Regards,

 

Scott

Mozy Support


Yes I restored the files successfully thanks.

angelag
Community Manager
(320)

Re: Restoring after factory reset

@dommm,

 

So glad to hear it! We're going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved for you.

 

Thanks for participating in the Mozy community!

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps
dommm
Samurai Level 1
(54)

Re: Restoring after factory reset


angelag wrote:

@dommm,

 

So glad to hear it! We're going to go ahead and mark this thread as solved for you.

 

Thanks for participating in the Mozy community!


Mozy has sure saved me a lot of grief. thanks