We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

/t5/Mozy-for-Windows/Replacing-computer/td-p/94066

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
Badger51
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Replacing computer

I've transferred my data files to a new HDD.

I wish to synchronize my data with my existing backup files on Mozy.

When I install Mozy on the "new" computer, I am not given the option to replace a computer in my account.

Instead, Mozy begins to back up my data as if it were a new user and new files.

How do I initiate the replace computer dialogue?

thanks

0 Reps
Benjamin_C
(240)
Solution

Re: Replacing computer

So if Mozy Skips the Add/Replace screen it means that Mozy has detected it as the same computer and not a new one. In this case it will then do something called a re-association. Basically Mozy will say it needs to backup every file, but then it will scan each file and compare it to what we have on our servers. If it's the same it won't need to send it again, thus making this backup much faster then a fresh backup. It will take longer then an incremental backup though as it has to scan every file. 

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
0 Reps