Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
carlco
Employee
(136)

Re: Notepad opening on startup

Hi there,

No do not delete that. Please try Janh's suggestion and let us know.

Thank you,

Carl Cochran
Mozy L2 Support Engineer
slimboyw...

Warrior
(2)

Am trying Janh's suggestion right now, will report back ASAP.

slimboyw...

Warrior
(2)

Janh,

Your suggestion worked, many thanks.

However, I'm curious, as in how if you can explain?

Thank you again :smileyhappy:

Jamesde
Employee
(85)

It doesn't have to contain any information about Mozy in it necessarily, but you will still want to delete it.  That should resolve the issue.  Let us know if you have any more trouble with that!

James

Mozy
L2 Premium Support Engineer

Don't forget to mark posts you feel are legitimate resolutions and give reps to posts you like as well!

Latest Download
https://mozy.com/download/
janh
Community Manager
(171)

slimboywynn wrote:

Janh,

Your suggestion worked, many thanks.

However, I'm curious, as in how if you can explain?

Thank you again :smileyhappy:

Glad to hear that :smileyhappy: Either the file wasn't hidden or the System attribute on the file was somehow turned off to allow it to become listed in the directory and automatically opened by notepad. The attrib command you just ran there just made sure that the file was hidden and that the System attribute for the file was turned on .

-------------------------------------

Mozy Stash contest, win an iPad! : http://community.mozy.com/t5/Community-Blog/What-s-in-Your-Stash-Contest/ba-p/40007
slimboyw...

Warrior
(2)

Well many thanks again Janh :smileyhappy:

rickorr
Cook
(0)

kalex2
Cook
(0)

i followed your solution, but i received an "access denied" message after inputting the command prompts. i assume that this is the same issue as the above listed issue: have windows 7 and i'm trying to disable a notepad named "mozyrestoremanager," which pops up everytime i start my PC

janh
Community Manager
(171)

kalex2 wrote:

i followed your solution, but i received an "access denied" message after inputting the command prompts. i assume that this is the same issue as the above listed issue: have windows 7 and i'm trying to disable a notepad named "mozyrestoremanager," which pops up everytime i start my PC

Before you open Command Prompt, you'll have to right click on application and select 'run as admin'. Also, have you uninstalled the Restore Manager as per instructions provided by this Mozy KB article beforehand?

-------------------------------------

Mozy Stash contest, win an iPad! : http://community.mozy.com/t5/Community-Blog/What-s-in-Your-Stash-Contest/ba-p/40007
anne0
Student
(2)

janh,  I've had the exact same problem for months as well.  Why is MozyHome doing this recently and never before?  And in several versions of Windows - is there a fix coming in the application?  I see the logic in your solution, as well as some of the other replies from support engineers which were really bad. 

So I'm trying to reset the file attributes with the cmd prompt as you suggest.  I'm running in Vista, with an Administrator account.  The UAC are turned Off.  But I still get "Access Denied" for every desktop.ini file. 

I tried unchecking Mozy in the Startup tab for msconfig, so the application does not start at bootup BUT THE NOTEPAD DESKTOP.INI FILE STILL OPENS at bootup.  How can I fix this error?  I just need to find this one file and make it Hidden, right?