Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
rprescot
Assassin
(9)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy "Settings" very slow to open - "Populate Back Up Sets" appears to be responsible

When I right click on the Mozy icon in the Tray and choose "Status" and then from that screen choose "Settings", I conncect to the Mozy servers and get a "Populate Back Up Sets" message.  It then takes 4 or more minutes before the MozyHome Settings tabs array appears.  During this time my hard drive is making a lot of noise so I suppose a lot of I/O is occuring. 

Is this length of time normal or is it a symptom that something is not correct?  The wait appears to be because my back-up sets are getting "populated.'" I have no idea what this means.

Note that once this is done, I can close Settings and reopen it a few minutes later without the delay.  But if a longer amount of time passes, when I open Settings I again get the slow response in having the Settings tabs array open.

Any insight into this would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

0 Reps
Marcr
(82)
Solution

Re: Mozy "Settings" very slow to open - "Populate Back Up Sets" appears to be re

@rprescot Thanks for the post. We you click on "Settings" Mozy will scan your whole file selection this you will the "populating backup sets" This is why you will get "noise" from your hard drive from I/O because it is scanning the whole drive. This is normal based of how many files you have selected, and what kind of system you have. To explain why after you have closed it then reopened and has taken less time is because we will cache the scan that was prior done... I can't get you the exact time of how long we cache that for. 

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Marc

rprescot
Assassin
(9)

Re: Mozy "Settings" very slow to open - "Populate Back Up Sets" appears to be re

Thanks, Marc.  Makes sense now.

BretA
(162)

@rprescot 

Something related to this topic that many people seem to be unaware of, is that when the Settings window first opens and is still scanning files, your cursor will be the spinning 'loading' wheel, but you can still make changes to other settings. Generally, that wheel means a program is not responding or too busy to handle your requests, so it's not surprising that some people wait for the scan to finish before trying to change a simple setting.  But in Mozy's case, the wheel appears when part of the program is busy, but everything except file selections can still be modified.

-BretA

0 Reps
Lite
Spy
(3)

In my case "populating backup sets" can last up to an hour. It would be useful, if the information gathered by scanning the disks would be stored permanently in a local file, and updated whenever a backup runs in the night. This could speed up things.

But that is not the only problem. To select files for restore I have to expand the directory tree of that particular disk. Every expand (i.e. clicking on a +) needs a considerable time.  

So the preparation for a restore of say about 2 minutes can use up  to an hour.

Unfortunately the search function does not work properly. Although I know exactly the name of a subdirectory I want to restore, it is not found. But it is there when I select it from the directory tree.

Lidia

0 Reps