Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Mozy Reseller Bites Ransomware with Mozy Backup and Restore
Check out how a pet store used Mozy to recover from a ransomware attack.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Highlighted
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy doesn't backup Onedrive after W10 Fall Creator's update

Just received this astonishing response from support after realising that Mozy had stopped backing up 90% of my data.  Understanding entirely the difference between cloud storage and backup, I'm very keen to have my cloud stored files also backed up in an independent service.  Without Onedrive support the product is useless to me, and I'm seeking advice on how to get a refund - or does Mozy have a plan to solve this problem, please?

At the very least some publicity to the user base would seem reasonable - I only noticed because I suddenly realised my backup had gone from 130 GB to 6 GB overnight.

Hi Matthew,

Thank you for contacting Mozy support. As I understand you can not backup OneDrive after updating to Creators edition of Windows 10.

Unfortunately with this update Microsoft changed the way files within OneDrive are stored and we can not back up these files.

If you have any issues please let me know or if I do not hear back from you by tomorrow I will close the case for you.

Regards,

James L.

0 Reps
Telemachus
(61)

Re: Mozy doesn't backup Onedrive after W10 Fall Creator's update

@matthewrapier

A search for "OneDrive" at http://support.mozy.com returns the following article as its first result:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/Solution/Can-t-Backup-SkyDrive-OneDrive-Files

Microsoft has changed a basic attribute for OneDrive. This change prevents all of it's contents from being backed up by Mozy, even if you're using OneDrive's File on Demand feature. Our Developers have looked for a way around this but, unfortunately, at this time there is none.

I would suggest contacting OneDrive support.

If you still wish to cancel, the Mozy refund policy can be viewed here:

http://mozy.com/payments_and_refunds

Let me know if you have any questions,

Telemachus
-Mozy Support

0 Reps

OK, though the article you reference is specifically in relation to versions of Windows prior to 1709 (Fall Creator's Update) and is for a different error which I didn't have.  A public knowledgebase article on this would be very helpful and would have saved me logging a call.

If there is no plan to look at this issue further I will be leaving the service as, sadly, its of no use to me if it can't backup the majority of my content.

Not entirely sure what will be achieved by logging a support call with Microsoft - are you saying this is a bug in their code?  If so wouldn't it be a great deal simpler for your developers to log that call and explain the problem/limitation directly?

Thanks

Matthew

0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

@matthewrapier

I want to update this post with further information about Onedrive and how it now functions on Windows.

Onedrive data is no longer "local" data as Microsoft has changed the way Onedrive saves its data and has now has become a sparse point or symbolic link.  Basically a Onedrive is a "short cut" to your actual data.  Some new and changed data is local temporarily and is then eventually uploaded to the Onedrive cloud as a cloud only storage space.

Now any third party backup software other than Microsoft will not be able to backup Onedrive because of the nature of how Onedrive's data is now managed after the W10 Fall Creator's update.

The only way to back up Onedrive data now is to move the data out of Onedrive to a separate folder and verify that it's selected for backup in the Mozy settings.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps

OK, so  your telling me that a software application on my PC can't read the files in Onedrive.  That makes no sense, I get that the very low level filesystem access you use to run the backups maybe doesn't read the structure any more, but the files are still readable by software or nothing would work (e.g. Word).  If they are readable you can find a way to copy them and send them off to the backup.

Sure, its probably difficult, onedrive specific and quite expensive to change the way your backup agents works, and if that's the reason you aren't interested in solving this that's fine.

So, just once more - are you absolutely sure you don't want to find a solution before I log a call to close my account and seek a refund?

Thanks!

0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

@matthewrapier

I see what you mean that if you can open a file and it's readable there is a way to copy it and back it up which I don't doubt is possible. However making programming changes to any software like this are usually complicated especially when dealing with cloud data protocols.

Actually our engineers have already starting looking into this issue when it was discovered shortly after the Windows 10 Fall Creator's update was released and are evaluating the situation and its total impact on Mozy.

Please post another questions or comments.

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(133)

@matthewrapier

Just checking in. Did you have additional questions we can help address?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps

Great news that the engineers are looking at a solution.  As there is a possibility this will come along, I'll do the necessary mucking about to copy my onedrive content to another drive and back that up with mozy instead.

I would greatly appreciate any updates on timeline for a solution as and when available, and if you do abandon the idea please let me know so I can seek a different long term solution.

Thanks!

0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

@matthewrapier

We don't have a timeline at this point but we can keep this thread updated as our engineers give us updates.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(500)

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps