Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
Regina1
Assassin
(8)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy attempting to back up deleted file

During the initial backup on my new computer I had to duplicate my 20G Outlook.pst file. This had nothing to do with the backup, but with problems I was having with Outlook. Unfortunately, after even after I deleted the duplicate file, Mozy is still attempting to back it up. I'm getting a FilesystemError4. According to Mozy, the only 2 files left to back up are both pst files. One is appended with a 1, so I can see it's still trying. How can I stop Mozy from trying to backup this deleted Outlook1.pst file and continue backing up the Outlock.pst file? 

0 Reps
JaredG
(479)

Re: Mozy attempting to back up deleted file

@Regina1

It sounds like these PST files may still reside on your computer somewhere.  You should check the Backups Sets tab in the Mozy settings for any PST files in the "Email and Contacts (Outlook)" backup set.  Also when Mozy is in the middle of a backup you can see which files are attempting to backup and the location path Mozy is attempting to back them up from when open the "View Backed Up Files" list.

To open this list, right click on the Mozy icon in the system tray next to the clock / time and date and choose "View Backed Up Files" in the right click menu and you will see the files awaiting backup on the right column and files already backed up in the left column.

Use this link to our documentation that shows a screen shot with further instructions showing how to...

As you mentioned Mozy is reporting a FilesystemError4.  This error means that we are unable to read or write one or more files for backup either because we don't have permission to access the file(s), Windows has locked the file(s), or an antivirus or anitmalware program is now blocking Mozy from reading or writing these file(s), or your hard drive is beginning to fail and we can't read or write data to the hard drive because it's physically damaged.

You should reboot your computer and attempt another backup after you verify that there are no PST files selected for backup in the File System tab and the Backup Set tab in the Mozy settings and in the "View Backed Up Files" list.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
Regina1
Assassin
(8)

thanx for the help, Jared. yes, both pst files resided on my computer until I deleted the one. it seems Mozy has caught up to that fact, and is now only trying to upload the original file.

i did check the backed up files, but not thru that tab. i use the file system tab to indicate the Outlook folder with the pst file that should be backed up.

it seems to be working properly now, except for the time it takes to back up a 20 gig file. i leave my Outlook closed as long as possible during the day so that there's no additions to the file while it's backing up, but i have to open my mail at some point, so it probably has to start from the beginning again. i guess i'll leave the computer running overnite.

i thought that changing to the new computer and suspending backups on the old would cause it to take less time, and maybe it is. i have had instances that Mozy took weeks to back up the full HD. if this pst file would finish it'll only have taken about 4 days.

but i do have one other question for you: i deleted my old machine from Mozy yesterday, but i found it was back today. i deleted it again, and hope it stays deleted because it's adding another 35 gigs unnecessarily to my quota. is there any reason why the old computer won't stay deleted?

0 Reps
ScottS1
(127)

@Regina1

Regina, can you walk us through precisely how you are deleting the machine?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
Regina1
Assassin
(8)

Yes, I'm going to the My Computers page of my account and deleting it there. But it's back again the next day. I also haven't deleted Mozy from my old computer yet. I have it in Suspend mode. According to the Results section of the Documentation page for uninstalling I can delete a computer without uninstalling the software. I plan to do that when I take all my files off the old computer.

I would like to rectify this as soon as possible because it may put me over my quota, and I won't have the room to complete backing up this pst file which hasn't completed yet. I just deleted it again, for the 3rd time, so let's see if it shows up again.

0 Reps
JaredG
(479)
Solution

@Regina1

So are you saying that after deleting the pst file it comes back on your computer and we back it up again?  It sounds like the pst file is put back on your computer, however that is happening either through outlook or some other program creating the pst that end up in a folder selected for backup.  Then the next time we backup we see the pst again and it's upload to Mozy again.

Mozy will never save files to your computer unless you specifically tell Mozy to restore files in the "Restore" tab in the Mozy settings or from a web restore.

I hope this is helpful.  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
Regina1
Assassin
(8)

i'm afraid you misunderstood me, Jared. it was the 3rd computer on my account that kept coming back after deleting. i seem to have solved all problems, though. i deleted the 3rd computer again last nite and it's staying deleted. the pst file has also backed up totally, finally, so i'm all good. thanx for your help.

JaredG
(479)

@Regina1

I'm sorry I misunderstood your question.   When a computer is automatically added to your account it means that one of your other computers has Mozy installed and is attempting to backup.  Each computer that backups up has an operating system identification and will never be able to duplicate it's self.

So say that you have 3 computers backing up on your account.   Then you have 3 separate computers backing up somewhere that's connected to the internet.  Then to reduce this number to the amount of computers you want backed up then you will need to uninstall Mozy on the computer you don't want backed up.

Say you only have two computers you are aware of that should be backing up but a third one keeps adding to your account then a third computer is connected to the internet with the same user email and password.

If you are unsure where the extra computer is coming from then change your password on your account and then run a manual backup on the computers that should be backing up and you will be prompted to enter the new password on each computer.

This way only the computers you want backing up will have the password required to backup.

Here is a link with instructions on how to change your Mozyhome password.

Let us know if you have another questions.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(479)

@Regina1

Did my last post answer your question?  If all of your questions have been answered then please mark the post that solved your question as the solution, otherwise please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
Regina1
Assassin
(8)

yes, thank you.