Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
MaTTGRaNT
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy Pro backup uploading at only 691kbps max on 20mb fiber connection???

I have a server that I have been backing up for a 5 years on Mozy Pro on a 20mb fiber connection. In the last 10 days, it never finishes a backup after running for 10-12 hours (used to take an hour or 3). This server has two 4GB files that get uploaded nightly (normally), now they never complete. I have the bandwidth limiter turned off and backup speed set to fast. Nothing else has changed.

What is going on? Is there something wrong with your service?

0 Reps
MaTTGRaNT
Student
(0)

Re: Mozy Pro backup uploading at only 691kbps max on 20mb fiber connection???

Anyone?

0 Reps
Benjamin_C
(195)

As far as we can tell the Mozy Servers are not having any specific problems that would cause such a thing. I would advise running a speed-test and making sure your Upload speed has not suddenly dropped off, and contact your ISP if it has. Past that I will make a case for you and send you an email from the case to gather log files in case that speed-test shows nothing useful! 

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
0 Reps
MaTTGRaNT
Student
(0)

This is a test from right now (the VOIP system causes some overhead during business hours). More than enough speed to be uploading files quickly. The backups are set to run at 9pm when there is no network overhead and it has not completed in 9 days now. Before then, it worked as it should. Something is not right. I can upload files to DropBox or anything else at the full speed of the connection.

0 Reps
Telemachus
(58)

Hi @MaTTGRaNT

Looking over your logs, I think this might be a VSS issue. Do you see any errors in your Windows System and/or Application logs during your backup?

Regards,

Telemachus

Mozy Support

0 Reps
MaTTGRaNT
Student
(0)

No errors and it was the first thing I checked.

0 Reps
JaredG
(479)
Solution

@MaTTGRaNT

After looking at your backup history I can see what is happening and will give you the answer to why this has happened.

First off you have a file that is about 4.7 GBs in size and every time Mozy backups up this file we can see the changed information to the file and our software will read the changed information and upload it as a patch.

Once we have a large number of patches to a file our servers will attempt a "re-base" of the file and attempt to upload the entire file so we can have a "fresh" single file to start patching changes to again.  Our system periodically does this to files that have "too many" patches for several different reasons that I will not get into on this post.

On November 7th we attempted to upload this file of about 4.7 GBs in size but the Mozy backup was manually paused during the backup about several times between the 7th ad the 9th of this month, but on the 9th even though the backup was manually paused we were able upload the entire 4.7 GB file before the backup was paused.

Now Mozy will continue to upload the changed information on this large file, and all the backups since the 10th have been successful, only running for about 2 hours max with one of these backups.

At this point it appears that the backups are working as normal now.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(127)

@MaTTGRaNT

Were the steps and suggestions offered by Jared able to help you? We have not heard from you recently. Please respond and let us know if this resolves your concern.

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
JaredG
(479)

@MaTTGRaNT

I'm seeing consistent backups since the 10th. 

Please post any other questions or comments, otherwise please mark the solution on this thread.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(479)

@MaTTGRaNT

If we don't hear back from you by Monday the 20th then we'll go a head and mark this thread as solved.

However you may create a new thread in the community anytime.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps