Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
CONTEST ANNOUNCEMENT! Enter to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
Tell us a personal story of a time when Mozy really helped you out. Did you think all was lost but found Mozy had what you needed? Did it "save your bacon" so-to-speak? Check out the latest blog for details on how to enter for a chance to win!

Latest Blog: How to Set Up Multiple Log-Ins for Your Account
Want to set up multiple sets of credentials so different people in your office/home can log in to your account? Check out today's blog for more information on what you need and how to do it...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
striker_...

Sensei Level 1
(38)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy Not Backing Up Incremental Data

I have TrueCrypt containers where my data is stored and whenever I make any changes in it, Mozy would catch that incremental change via block-level backup.

But for the past few days, I have noticed, using the history in Mozy and found out that no data has been updated even though I have made changes in my TrueCrypt containers several times.

This has led me to believe that Mozy has not been backing up my data.

I would ask for anyone who can help me on this issue, especially Mozy team to get this resolved.

ScottS1
(57)

Re: Mozy Not Backing Up Incremental Data

@striker_rage

Thanks for reaching out. Our software automatically encrypts your data to and from our servers. So there really is no need to double-encrypt the data per-say. Have you tried backing up without encrypting your data? I have included an article that explains our encryption process and policies to better assist you:

- http://mozy.com/product/features/military-grade-security

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Support

striker_...

Sensei Level 1
(38)

Hey Scott, thank you for the reply Smiley Happy The issue is that it was working seamlessly without any issues earlier.

The problem has started recently. I can confirm the same to be working beyond any doubt a few days back.

Whatever has happened, it did in the past 1-2 week, I guess.

If you can help me get this working again then I would be extremely grateful.

I have guests and others come to my place all the time and thus I have encrypted the data so that if anyone else than me, operates my pc, that person would not be able to access the data on my pc without the decryption password.

So although Mozy does provide encryption, it would not be of use to me as my purpose is different.

angelag
Community Manager
(1029)

@striker_rage,

Unfortunately Mozy does not support third-party encryption on files at all (other than EFS encryption, and it's only supported at a very basic hands-off level due to it being a Windows-provided service). That's not to say it won't work, but unfortunately since we don't support it and highly do not recommend it, we cannot troubleshoot it or fix it if it fails to work.

Sadly, when a file is encrypted on the machine it is also encrypted from Mozy, which needs access to the file data on a read/write/full level in order to scan for and detect changes. It is for that reason that we do not support the third-party encryption. It is actually surprising that it worked before.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
striker_...

Sensei Level 1
(38)

Firstly, thank you, Angel, for your reply to my issue.

I understand what you say and I also understand its very difficult to solve this issue since third party encryption is involved.

Mozy is on the list of very few cloud service providers that support Delta backup or incremental block level backup. That's what makes Mozy one of the most differentiated cloud service in the entire cloud universe and one of the strong points out of the many.

I'll be trying to troubleshoot the problem myself and see if there is any possible way to get it sorted.

I won't promise but I'll try to keep you informed whether I was able to solve the issue or not and also post a solution if any so that others facing this problem can also solve the same and keep using the awesome backup service known as Mozy!!!

Always grateful to Mozy and Mozy team for support and fab service. 

striker_...

Sensei Level 1
(38)
Solution

I have an update.

It seems to me that the problem has been solved and Mozy is once again backing up block level incremental data to my encrypted TrueCrypt containers.

Solution: 

I uninstalled Mozy from my pc. I also downloaded the latest version of Mozy from Mozy.com website.

After uninstalling, I restarted my pc. I did not remove the user configuration file while uninstalling so that it can be used after reinstallation.

Then I installed the downloaded latest version of Mozy.

Mozy automatically selected the files to back up as I had the user configuration from my previous Mozy installation but I had to redo the settings even though I had the user configuration.

So after settings were done, Mozy started uploading the files entirely since I had removed Mozy and uploading took a while.

After it backed up the files completely, I made an incremental change in the container to see if Mozy is catching and backing incremental data and it did.

So I am marking this as problem solved for now. I'll try to update here in this post if there are any further issues but for now, its solved.

angelag
Community Manager
(1029)

@striker_rage,

I'm very glad to hear that you were able to find a work-able solution for your situation. Please feel free to hit "Accept as Solution" next to the appropriate comment in this thread to close it out as solved.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
ShawnL
Community Manager
(565)

@striker_rage - Thank you for posting such a detailed solution! We're happy its all worked out now. 

Please let us know if there are any additional questions we can help answer you and thank you for using the Mozy forum!

Shawn L.
Community Manager