We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

/t5/Mozy-for-Windows/Merge-backups-from-two-computers/td-p/93994

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
spideog
Spy
(3)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Merge backups from two computers

Have a desktop (A) with about 20G of files backed up that I need to move onto another machine (B) to retire the old desktop.
The other machine already has it's own backup set running, about 10G's worth.

Do I manually copy all the files across to machine B using Windows and then add this to the machine B backup set, and then wait for it to re-upload the 20G worth of data. Meanwhile just delete/ loose the revision history from machine A.

Or do a restore of the backup from machine A onto machine B and wait for it to slowly download 20G of data, but get to keep the file revision history. What would this do to the existing other backup set already on machine B? Can you run two backup sets on the same machine?

Or is there a way I can copy the files locally between machine A and B, so it's done quickly without wasting time pointlessly downloading/ uploading files that are already backed up, and then merge the backup sets and keep the revision history?

0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)
Solution

Re: Merge backups from two computers

@spideog

You sound like you have the right idea. Here is one thing to keep in mind:

- Data already backed up has been marked with a Hash ID/header

- This allows our software to recognize these same files for backup if moved elsewhere

Therefore, when recognized, our software won't back it up twice and will see it's the exact same file (Assuming it hasn't been updated or modified). Therefore, once you have the data by:

- Moving the data through file transfer

- Or moving the data via restore

Then it won't back up twice. It will scan; that is something that can't be avoided. So it's up to you how you want to transfer the data. Since waiting isn't really an option, perhaps consider getting with an computer technician to help you transfer files over your network via Network and Sharing Center in Windows.

So your final paragraph would be the recommended option in other words.

Does this help?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

spideog
Spy
(3)

Perfect. Exactly what I wanted to hear regarding that the files will be recognised as already having been backed up.

Does it matter at what point in the process I delete the old backup set from the Mozy system as I think I'l need to create some space within our overall available quota?

ScottS1
(182)

@spideog

I would only suggest deleting the backup set you no longer need after the first successful backup. That way the data is recognized. If it has been de-selected, you have 30 days to restore that data as it has thus been marked for deletion. If however the files are still selected in File System, the 30 day retention period won't apply and they will still be backed up.

Let us know if this helps.

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

JaredG
(825)

@spideog

I agree with Scott.  Once you complete a backup then you may delete the old backup.  If you don't have enough space then you could backup everything using the available space on your account then delete the old backup to reduce the gap in your backup.

Please update this thread and let us know what that worked for you or if you have any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

@spideog

We haven't heard from you since your initial post last Wednesday on the 24th. 

Please post any other questions or comments if you would like further assistance, otherwise please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
spideog
Spy
(3)

Thanks for your message, I'm just waiting for a "quiet" moment to be able to carry out the transfer. Hope to complete it in a day or so.

0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

@spideog

Thank you for the update.  Just post anytime when you're ready.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)

@spideog

No worries. Any status?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
spideog
Spy
(3)

So I've copied all the files across to the new machine and now added that directory as part of the new machines backup set. Unfortunately it is now doing a full backup of each file and re-uploading them. 

I had to remove the old machines backup set in order to free up space so that the new machine could continue with it's backup, but it was doing the full backup of each file from before that point. Looks like it will be a good few days before this completes now. 

0 Reps