I run into a very strange problem, which seems to poitn to a serious design/conceptional flow of MozyHome, but I am not sure, so I better to be ask first if any of you could help :
- I had 1 pc backuped with MozyHome.Pc name is : BEAST
- The partition structure of BEAST is :
C : ONLY windows and installed application so basically the system partition.
D: ONLY data.
O: ONLY data.
- I removed all default backup sets and backed up D, and O completel (ticked root in filesystem under settings).
- Toal archive size was 214 Gb.
- I am regurarly backup my C system partition with Paragon Drive Backup and I often restore it as well, if any change happen I dont like (virus like activity or bad program update, etc.)
- Before I do a C system partition restore, I make sure, that MozyHome is 100% backued up all files !
- I also made a copy of the complete mozy program directory on the C: systemdrive.
- Today, I had to restore an earlier backup of C system partiton, which did not conatined MozyHome installed.
- I thought it is no problem, so I had installed the same 18.104.22.168 version like before the restore.
- Immediately after installation I set in the settrings EXACTLY teh same settings and teh comple D and O drive to backup.
- MozyHome started to backup the hole D and O again, from the beginning, so the total 214 GB while NO files change since the last backup.
- I also tried to copy back the config.dat files, ini fiels, etc. but still no luck.
- So Mozy had recognized the computer as same computer, but still restarted to upload all fiels again.
Is it really like this, that in case I need to restore/re-install my C system partiton, leaving the D and O partitions untouched, MozyHome imcapable to create a comparison and not backup what is already been there, so it needed to upload again ?
Isnt there any solution even manually, like exporting some settings before than importing back after so everythign can go without uploading all files again ?
Any non-changed files on your Data partitions will only encode and not reupload.
The information for if a file has been backed up is kept in the state.dat and manifest.dat, and changes are in changes.dat and filter-raw.log. So theoretically if you save those two files along with conf.dat and registry it would do exactly as you want.
However, during the time Mozy isn't installed, the filter driver (the kernal level driver watching for file changes) isn't running. Thus, when you do a system restore, Mozy has to re-backup everything because it doesn't know what has changed, and it knows that it was removed or something weird happened. So instead of taking a chance of not getting stuff backed up, it does a rebase on everything.
Your best bet, for file integrity, is to do a restore to when you DON'T have Mozy, or un-install and re-install Mozy, every time you do a system state restore. Otherwise you might have the convience of not having to rebase, but then you might have the problem later of the restore being bad.
- Please remember to mark the solution post and give thumbs up to helpful posts.