Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Keep your files in Sync with Mozy & What's new with Mozy Windows and Linux clients?
Learn more about Sync as well as Windows and Linux clients in the latest community blogs!

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
at54
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Idle Time is not being followed

Hello,

For the past few weeks I have been finding that the "Don't back up unless the computer has been idle this long (minutes)" is not being followed by Mozy.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I have been using Mozy Home for many years, and this is happening on a machine I have had for 18 months, with no major config changes recently.  Currently running Mozy 2.36.3.633.

I used to very reliably follow my setting to not backup unless idle for 20 Minutes or more--this meant most of the time my first backup of the day happened when I went to lunch.  Now, it consistently starts backups while I am in the middle of using the machine and it is not idle.  Any ideas?

Thanks,

Adam

0 Reps
ScottS1
(153)
Solution

Re: Idle Time is not being followed

@at54

It sounds to me that there are settings out of sync which you can force back into synchronization, possibly not saving due to antivirus blocking .dat files from being written to:

1. Go to C:\Program Files\MozyHome\Data

2. Open services.msc by pressing the Windows Key and typing in "services.msc" without the quotation marks

3. Scroll down and locate MozyHome Backup Service

4. Stop the service

5. Go back into C:\Program Files\MozyHome\Data

6. Rename state.dat, scancache.dat, and cache.dat all to state.dat.old, scancache.dat.old, and cache.dat.old

7. Start the MozyHome Backup Service

8. Open MozyHome again and start a backup

At which point I suggest adding exclusions as well in case some of your changes/ settings aren't being saved. You can add these exclusion by following the article below:

- http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Add-Mozy-exclusions-to-your-anti-virus-software

Finally, double-check Settings > Options > Scheduling and ensure your settings are sticking. Consider changing Scheduling from Scheduled to Automatic and click OK. Then change it back to your Scheduled option again and observe any changes.

Let us know what you find.

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

JaredG
(530)

@at54

Were you able to follow Scott's instructions? 

Please let us know if these instructions worked for you and please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
at54
Student
(0)

Thanks very much for the suggestions.  I was able to complete the steps (though I had to force MozyHome Status application to end before I was allowed to rename state.dat).

Since two backups have already run today, I'm going to wait until tomorrow to see if the changes worked.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Reps
ScottS1
(153)

@at54

No problem. We appreciate your cooperation and willingness to follow those details! Can you tell me if you've had any success?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
at54
Student
(0)

Hi,

No luck!  A backup just started right when I was in the middle of typing.  I checked my settings, and they appear to be right.

Is there any way to tell if my AntiVirus impacted the files?  I can't add exceptions because my AV is managed by my company and I can't access any config.  I will note that I have had this AV for 2 years, and the problems with the Mozy schedule just started a few weeks ago.

Thanks,

Adam

0 Reps
JaredG
(530)

@at54

Thank you for the update.

Even if your AV has been running for years along side of Mozy without incident, they can interfere unexpectedly and exclusions for Mozy need to be added.

Since you are unable to add the exclusions to your AV then who ever manages your AV needs to add Mozy as a exclusion.

Here is a link to a list of exclusions that must be added to your AV for Mozy.

Please reboot your computer after these exclusions are added to your AV.

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(530)

@at54

Let us know if the instructions I posted worked for you.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(153)

@at54

We haven't heard from you recently. Do you have any other questions? We will be marking this thread as resolved very shortly.

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps