Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
dbpropp
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

How do I delete files from the Mozy server, after Mozy has backed them up?

I had a few sensitive files on my computer that Mozy backed up.  They appear in my Mozy Remote Backup folder (and I presume they're also on the Mozy server).  I want to remove them from the backup, but I cannot delete them in any normal way I know of.

I know that if I delete them from my hard drive (move them to USB or whatever), they should disappear from the Mozy backup in 30 days - or so I think.  But I want to delete them immediately.

Is there any way to do that?

Thanks!

Mozylati...

Employee
(41)

Re: How do I delete files from the Mozy server, after Mozy has backed them up?

Hi All,

Unfortunately you don't have direct write permissions on the Mozy data center.

Please have a look a the following public Mozy knowledge base article:"http://docs.mozy.com/docs/en-user-home-win/faq/concepts/deletefile_markedforbackup_faq.html".

Currently you can:

1. Physically delete the files/folders that are currently backed up from your internal/external volume. Next time Mozy performs a backup, they will be marked for deletion. After 30 days, they will be automatically deleted from the server.
  2. Deselect the files/folders that are currently backup up from the "File System" tab (Ms-Windows) or from the "Files and Folders" tab (Mac OS X). Next time Mozy performs a backup, they will be marked for deletion. After 30 days, they will be automatically deleted from the server.
  3. Deselect the rules/criteria from the "Backup Sets" tab (Ms-Windows or Mac OS X). Next time Mozy performs a backup, the files/folders associated to those rules/criteria will be marked for deletion. After 30 days, they will be automatically deleted from the server.
Alternatively, if you really don't want to keep in the Mozy data center your critical/confidential documents, you can even log into your Mozy profile (MozyHome users) and delete the related machine. MozyPro users should contact their MozyPro administrator. For more information, please read the following public Mozy knowledge base article:"http://docs.mozy.com/docs/en-user-home-win/faq/tasks/deleting_machine_c.html".
Important: If you choose to delete your machine from your Mozy web profile, you won't be able to restore its related data anymore!
I hope that helped.
-Mozy Latin Dancer

Equus
Spy
(2)

Latin Dancer: Your answer is pretty much untrue, with regards to deletion after 30 days. Every file I've ever backed up is still available on the Mozy server, even though many have been deleted from my computer for over a year. Mozy customer service stated "the site does say 30 days but we don't always do garbage cleanup". This means that files, which are the property of the user, are being kept far longer than the TOS specifies, AND the user does not have any ability to purge their property from the Mozy server.  More than simply being inconvenient, that actually seems borderline illegal.

Please emphasize to Mozy developers that users need to have the ability to purge sensitive or outdated files from Mozy servers when they choose to. It's the user's property, after all, and Mozy should not be keeping these files against a user's wishes.

--Equus

Mozylati...

Employee
(41)
Solution

Dear Equus,

What I said is clearly stated in all the Mozy public articles and in the terms and conditions of the software.

After 30 days it's up to the garbage collection monitoring tool removing your data. Once again, Mozy is not a file sharing or archiving service. If you have been able to restore files which have been marked for deletion more than 30 days ago, then you are lucky because that means that the garbage collection monitoring tool didn't have time to delete them.

However we do care of our customers' observation, requests and feedback. So regarding what you said about the fact that's it's illegal keeping the customer's data longer than 30 days after they have been marked for deletion, this is to inform you that I promptly forwarded your feedback to our developers as I don't deal directly with this kind of requests.

I hope that helped.

-MLT

Equus
Spy
(2)

MLT:

I didn't say that keeping the files longer than 30 days is illegal, what I said MAY be illegal is keeping someone's property indefinitely and the owner (user) having no ability to remove them.

You can look at the statement "files deleted from your drive will be removed from the Mozy server in 30 days" from two different points of view: one, it's a WARNING to users that they only have 30 days to access such a file before it will be gone forever. Two, it's an ASSURANCE to users that if they delete a sensitive file they no longer need or want, that ALL COPIES of it will be gone. The TOS goes both ways, and the way it is currently worded, people may rely on that wording and expect the files to be deleted. If Mozy is going to let the garbage monitoring tool take years (literally!) to remove files that have been deleted, they need to either provide users a way to remove their files directly from the server, or they need to reword the TOS so people don't expect something that Mozy doesn't intend to provide. Many users are paying customers, and from the posts I've seen on this subject, there are many who have expected documents to be removed as promised in the TOS and it's not being done. Just my two cents.

Hello.  I have files I have deleted on my PC 6 month ago still appearing on my Mozy virtual drive.  It seems that these atre not deleted acfter 30 days.

Is there a problem?

username...

Master Level 1
(2602)

Nick_Russell wrote:

Hello.  I have files I have deleted on my PC 6 month ago still appearing on my Mozy virtual drive.  It seems that these are not deleted after 30 days.

Is there a problem?

There is not problem. The 30 days is just a promise that Mozy makes. They should be there at least that long. Some people have reported files hanging around for years. It takes time to delete files from the servers and update the databases that track them. They don't do it very often.

Also note that some of the files that you have deleted might be files that other Mozy users have not deleted from their backup selection --- so while Mozy is keeping those files around for them, Mozy may continue to offer it to you. Of course this would not hold true for files that are unique to your computer.

===========================================
I am not a Mozy employee. I am just a long time user.
http://mozy.com/downloads/mozysetup.exe
http://mozy.com/downloads/mozyprosetup.exe
Equus
Spy
(2)

username_issues wrote:

The 30 days is just a promise that Mozy makes. 

That's exactly right. And it's a promise that Mozy is not keeping. I am a paying customer with a contract that states that 30 days after I remove a file from the backup queue it will be deleted from Mozy's servers. As I mentioned above, some people may think it's a benefit that it stays around for years, but there are many valid reasons why people would not want their personal, legal, confidential, and/or corporate files staying in an online server for an infinite amount of time. When they are flagged for deletion, Mozy should honor their contract and delete them, or else change their Terms of Service to so that customers know their data might be around for years.

Why is this important? Mozy's TOS specifically states that they cannot guarantee security against outside hackers. For this very reason, having files remain on the servers for years after their owner wishes them gone  constitutes a security risk, and in my opinion, is a breach of contract.

username...

Master Level 1
(2602)

Equus,

Could you please post the relevant portion of the contract. I do not see such verbiage in these docs:

MozyHome TOS

MozyPro TOS

Privacy Policy

Privacy Commitment

===========================================
I am not a Mozy employee. I am just a long time user.
http://mozy.com/downloads/mozysetup.exe
http://mozy.com/downloads/mozyprosetup.exe
Equus
Spy
(2)

From TOS:

Further, while we take reasonable steps to ensure the integrity and security of our network and systems, we cannot guarantee that our security measures will prevent third-party "crackers" from obtaining this information.

From the MozyHome Client User Guide:

If you delete a document and then run a backup, MozyHome assumes that you no longer need a backup copy of that document and marks the file to be removed. (We keep it for 30 days, just in case you change your mind.) After 30 days, the file is deleted from our servers and you are no longer able to get it back. You cannot delete files from the MozyHome servers; however, once a file is marked for deletion it is removed in 30 days and no longer counts against your storage space.

In the first quote, Mozy admits that it cannot guarantee security from hackers. In the second quote, Mozy advertises a security feature (removing stored files after 30 days) that it does not honor.