Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Joanie
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Had a successful restore, but can't find the files

After a couple of hours of files being stored,  they're not showing up and I don't know where to look.  Documents in general are there, but I have a program called "Strategy Desk" the document files from that are missing (and I checked them specifically for backup). These were stock lists, screeners, chart layouts.. Tons of work.  I also can't find favorites or bookmarks.

Otherwise, everything came back smooth as silk.

mont
Employee
(70)

Re: Had a successful restore, but can't find the files

Hi, 

I have created a case for you.  Number 524069 .

A support rep should be contacting you soon.

Multiple restores

Because of my lack of understanding and/or experience I have five restores running.  How can I cancel four and finish one?

Techalder
Employee
(206)

I understand that there is a case being opened for you.  I'm sure you will be contacted soon.  Food for thought though, I just helped a user who did backups from an XP machine and when it died, the user purchased another machine that happened to be Windows 7 and performed a restore and the files weren't being seen either. 

The file structure is different enough that the files ended up in a hidden version of "Documents and Settings" as one would find in an XP machine.  There were some rights issues as well.  I'm not quite sure why Microsoft had to change things but there ya go.

This might be the case for you.  Can you let us know in the forum?

Tech  :-)

mont
Employee
(70)

Re: Multiple restores

Hello davidseveland, 

I see that all of your restores show as canceled. Looks like you're good.  

If you're still having issues, please let us know.

For future reference, when you are doing a web restore (Direct download), you'll see the list of restores near the bottom.

If you hover the mouse over a restore, you should see and red "X". Click the red "X" and it will cancel the restore.

Jfos
Cook
(0)

I have the EXACT same problem.  According to download manager I have successfully restored all of the files, but there are no where to be found.  Further, the program never asked me what location to restore them to. 

Any advice would be extremely appreciated, as I have been without all of my documents for over three weeks, and cannot find anyone to contact about this problem.  My article is supposed to be published in two months, and I cannot access any of the source materials that I backed up with Mozy.  I have even tried to restore just a few documents to get the crucial ones, and I am at a complete loss.

Techalder
Employee
(206)

You have two basic ways to restore files:

1) In-client restore:  This is by going into the Settings tab in the Mozy backup program and going to "Restore" to retrieve your files.  There should be a box at the bottom of the screen for the location of where you would like the files copied to.  If the box is left empty, then it will restore the files at the root level of the drive and restore the file structure as before.  Keep in mind, however, if you have gone from a Windows XP machine to a Windows 7 machine, your files could very well have ended up in a hidden folder that will take a bit of work to locate.  If you put a folder location in the box, then your restore will begin there and create sub-directories from that location for all of your files.  If you did go from XP to 7, please go into chat and we'll set up a case for you to assist you in reuniting you with your files.

2) Web restore:  You will log onto the portal using your credentials and access your account that way.  You will find a representation of your file structure there and can restore your files.  In doing this, your files will take a little time to build and then they would be made available for download in zip format. You would be receiving an email once they are ready for download.  Once they are on your machine, you would unzip them into whichever directories you desire. 

Hope this helps,

Tech  :-)

janh
Community Manager
(171)

Jfos wrote:

I have the EXACT same problem.  According to download manager I have successfully restored all of the files, but there are no where to be found.  Further, the program never asked me what location to restore them to. 

Did you restore the files on another Windows XP Machine or a Vista / Windows 7 machine by any chance? If it was on a Vista/Windows 7 machine, there's a good chance that Mozy restored the files using the original Windows XP file path. Try clicking on the Windows Menu, select Computer, select Local Disk(C) , there might be a folder called Documents and Settings so try looking at the contents inside that folder to see if you can find your restored files.

-------------------------------------

Mozy Stash contest, win an iPad! : http://community.mozy.com/t5/Community-Blog/What-s-in-Your-Stash-Contest/ba-p/40007
ryanw
Employee
(248)
Solution

When performing a direct download restore, the option to choose the destination is the first screen immediately following logging into the Mozy Restore Manager if you only have one restore pending, or after you choose a restore to download from the list you may have queued.

restoremanager.png

If you're not paying really close attention, it's definitely possible to miss. The default option is to try to preserve the original location. Which isn't always what people think it is. Preserving the original location means putting the files back with the exact same path they had before. If you've had any major work done on your computer such as reinstalling Windows, reformatting, etc., or if you have a new machine, the path very frequently isn't the same because the computer doesn't get set up the same. As janh suggested, Windows XP and Windows Vista/7 have different paths to user data as C:\Documents and Settings\ and C:\Users\ respectively. Also, if you first set up your machine with your user name as a common default "Administrator" and then personalized your new machine with the user name "Ryan," the path wouldn't be the same either.

In any case, if the path isn't already there, Mozy Restore Manager will create it and then put the files there. So if you're restoring data from "Administrator" in your user "Ryan" and chose the original location, Mozy would create a new folder in C:\Users\ called Administrator and put the files there. It would not assume you meant that you wanted the files to be merged with your current user folder (unfortunately Mozy can't yet read minds).

This is all what janh meant by going into your C drive and checking for either a different Users or Documents and Settings folder. You also would want to go inside whichever folder you have and look to see if there's another user folder. The files are very often in there. You can then move them wherever you want them to go (like your new user folder).

Hope this helps.