Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
suerat
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Files missing following restore

I had to do a major reboot of my Windows 7 laptop, thus deleting all my files.  However, I was confident that all my files and folders were backed up to Mozy.  I went ahead and did a restore and was horrified to find that a lot of very valuable files and some folders were missing.  For example, a folder that should have had several documents, now only had one.  I assumed that if I had ticked to Back Up the whole of "My Documents" folder, they would all be there in the Cloud.  What has gone wrong?

0 Reps
Techalder
(247)

Re: Files missing following restore

It may help for me to explain how Mozy works and the difference between an "archive" backup and a "sync" backup. If you have other storage areas in tape or external drives, you can archive the data.  This is to say that once the data is stored on these media, the data will remain there until you want it back. Mozy will backup whatever is on your machine based on your latest backup.  We are more of a sync type backup service.  So, you mentioned that you did a "major reboot" of Windows.... Is this to say that you reloaded Windows? If so, the your machine would no longer have the files on that machine. If we have them backed up, you would need to restore those files to your machine and then add them to your backup set.  

If you load Mozy onto a machine and run a backup with no files being backed up, then this triggers our retention policy to remove those files on this end after a period of time (usually 30 days).  

I created a case for you to assist you in getting any files that we have on this end. Be looking for an email.

Tech  :-)

0 Reps
suerat
Student
(0)

Thank you for your help.  My computer had big problems and the only solution was to reinstall windows, which I did.  I knew I would lose everything but wasn't worried as I had backed up to Mozy.  After the reinstallation, I did a restore from Mozy but found that a huge amount of files were missing.  When setting up the backup system with Mozy, I had requested a back up of ALL folders in my Documents folder (i.e. I placed a tick next to Documents) so cannot understand why only some of the files had been backed up.  I have lost an enormous amount of very valuable documents.

0 Reps
Marcr
(82)

@suerat was post above able to resolve the issue that you were having. If so, Please remember to mark the solution post and give thumbs up to helpful posts.

Marc
Mozy Premium Support

0 Reps
suerat
Student
(0)

No, my problem has not been solved, although your Tech guy did give me a restore link.  I still want to know why a lot of my files were missing when I attempted a restore of all documents.   I was under the impression I had backed up everything in my "Documents" folder i.e. placed a tick next to "My Documents" in the File System, which consisted of many sub folders and documents.  However, when I restored them following a computer crash, a lot of the files and folders were missing, which is causing me a real headache!

0 Reps
Marcr
(82)

@suerat Thanks for your post. Mozy will backup based off what you have selected. What comes into question was the "Documents folder" have tick mark with a shaded box ( meaning that you specified only certain files to backed up from the "Documents" folder or did it have a tick mark with with a white box ( meaning the whole folder was selected).

The best way to find this out is to login into your account and browse your files (as you were to restore through the web), you can change the calendar date back prior to your crash and see exactly what has been backed up. I have provided a KB article that will walk you through this process.

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Requesting-Web-Restore-for-All-Files

0 Reps
suerat
Student
(0)

The box was white with a tick.  I have already done a restore as per your instructions and this was when I was horrified to find that a lot of files/documents were missing from the backup

0 Reps
Marcr
(82)

@suerat Thanks for your post, If you had a white tick the , then you will see all the files prior to the crash (If your with the 30 days) You can view this when you are logged into your account. From the post above Tech guy was able to give you all the files as per links he sent to you. The case he created has been re-opened, with any further questions that you may have.  Also I have provided how you can review your cases so that you can reach out to him

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-view-my-support-cases

Marc
Mozy Premium Support

0 Reps
suerat
Student
(0)

I downloaded all the links the Tech guy sent me but they were just the same as the ones I had downloaded earlier with the same folders and documents missing.

0 Reps
Techalder
(247)

I recreated a restore with every file that we have on this end, including files that might have been deleted on that machine, but still available on this end.  Those links are available for download as per the case email.  Did you get that email?  If they don't include the files that you are looking for, then my thinking is that they were not part of the backup set originally.  

Let me know through the case notes what you find....

Thanks, 

Tech  

0 Reps