We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

/t5/Mozy-for-Windows/Database-mdf-amp-ldf-restore-cannot-be-attached-to-MS-SQL-Server/td-p/93943

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
Oli
Warrior
(3)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Database (mdf&ldf) restore cannot be attached to MS SQL Server 2008 R2

Hello,

my company has many clients where we use MozyPro with VSS backup sets. Sometimes we need to restore a database in-house and it already happend several times that the latest MozyPro-backup could not be attached to a MS SQL Server 2008 R2.

When I use TeamViewer to create and copy a SQL-Backup (.bak file) from the client, I can attach it to a a MS SQL Server 2008 R2. Therefore something went wrong in the backup process.

Does someone have similiar problems? We always use the latest version of MozyPro. Could it be a wrong configuration of the needed services? Our clients have different operating systems (Win 10, Win Embedded, ...) but like 95% of them uses MS SQL Server 2008 R2.

The problem is that MozyPro says the backup of the VSS backup sets was a "success", meaning the backup process itself, like uploading the backup etc. BUT the backup files cannot be used. Sometimes we can repair the restored database but sometimes we have to restore an older backup with MozyPro to be able to attach the database to the SQL Server. All in all ths is a serious problem for us!

Whenever I see the MozyPro restore is not working, I connect to the client, deselect the vss backup sets, start a backup, select the needed backup sets again and start once again a backup. This forces a new "full" backup, which can be restored & attached to the SQL Server and works perfectly fine but we cannot work like this. We simply cannot do such a manual control process on a weekly or montly basis. If we would do it like that, we would not need MozyPro.

(Sorry for the complaining. The client overview, the installing process etc. of MozyPro is very good but we really need to get the restore/backup process working because most of the data we backup is very important and needs to be restored if the storage of the client device is broken.)

Regards,

Oliver

0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

Re: Database (mdf&ldf) restore cannot be attached to MS SQL Server 2008 R2

@Oli

Thank you for posting your questions here in the Mozy Community Forums.

I've worked with many customers that use SQL data bases with .ldf and .mdf files and .bak backup files as you mentioned.

When I run into similar problems with other customers where they restore the .bak files or the ldf/mdf files and these files don't import in to SQL or they do import but have missing tables or missing data then we find that in the end we never obtained the correct data to begin.  This can be either because VSS backup sets were not used to backup the data or VSS is failing or something is broken with VSS related services.

Mozy returns data in a restore exactly the way the data was given to us by VSS, so if you are restoring SQL files and it's missing data or is corrupt, then we need to find out what's happening to the data before we upload it to the cloud.

I would check Windows Event Viewer in System and Application logs for any VSS or Volsnap errors.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)

@Oli

Just checking in. Did you have any other questions or did Jared's reply help you?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
Oli
Warrior
(3)

Hey,

Jared's reply was helpful but I need to check the VSS-Settings/Services and Windows Event Viewer / Application logs on serveral clients before I can present a result.

I'm gonna try to find a differnce between clients where the recovery works perfecly fine and where it does not.

Maybe you can give me some time and we leave this topic open at least till Friday next week so I can do my work and post my result here afterwards. (?)

Greetings

Oli

0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)

@Oli

Certainly. We'll keep checking in!

* Note: Please keep this thread open and wait for a reply until Friday (For moderators) *

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

@Oli

We were just wondering if you had an update for us and if you were able to find the problem with your SQL backup?

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
ScottS1
(182)

@Oli

We haven't heard from you recently and will be marking the thread as resolved soon. Let us know if you need anything else!

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

0 Reps
Oli
Warrior
(3)

Hello,

I have two questions:

• There are three recovery models in SQL: simple, full, and bulk-logged. Does it matter for MozyPro which one is used?
  • Yesterday my coworker restored a database by simply downloading .ldf & .mdf as a .zip archive. The recovery worked perfectly fine but I guess it would be better to always use the restore manager and also try to restore using the VSS-metadata if possible?

Regards,

Oli

0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

@Oli

The recovery models you mentioned should be determined by your companies needs and will not matter which one you choose as far as our software is concerned as long as there is a "[VSS]" backup set for the data, that you can select in the Mozy settings under "Backup Sets".

A VSS restore will take the ldf and mdf databases and mount the data for you. 

The restore manager should be used for larger restores as it is designed to handle glitches in your internet connection so that your restore doesn't end prematurely which is what would happen if you were restoring your data using the browser instead.  If you were using your browser to download the data as a zip archive and there was a glitch in the internet connection,  you would have to start your restore over again.

I hope this answers your questions.

Please post any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps
JaredG
(825)

@Oli

Just checking in.  I hope my last posts were helpful.

Just let us know if you have any other questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
0 Reps