Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Leadership in Small Business 101, Part 3: How to Plan and Execute for Growth
If you are a small business owner, you know that not only is growth is important, but being prepared to keep up with that growth is really important as well. Learn more about planning for growth, and executing strategies...

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
mgreen
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Backup shows space taken up by old computer?

Hi

I mostly use Mozy Sync to share files between my three computers.  A few months ago I started playing around with MozyPro backup but didn't spend much time on it an abandoned it.  

I went back to it this week to start figuring out how to be sure my files are backed up regularly and I'm stuck:

When I played around with Mozy Pro a few months ago I was working on a laptop that I no longer use with Mozy (let's call it Toshiba Laptop).  It seems to have created a backup (of what, I'm not sure) because when I look at the MozyPro Settings Screen it shows a long green bar at the bottom on the page that indicates that 8GB are in use from "another device".  Could that device be my old Toshiba Laptop?

So - I don't care about the backup from the Toshiba Laptop, because like I said I"m not even sure of what it backed up.

What I do want to do is create a backup from my new laptop (let's call it HP Laptop).  All of the files I use for MozySync are on this laptop and as of today I have 10GB of data that I'm syncing.  I had to upgrade to the 50GB package this afternoon.

So - long story short:  the data I have on HP Laptop is the data I want to backup using MozyPro to be sure it is safe.  Although I now have a 50GB plan, the bar on the MozyPro Settings screen still shows a 10GB limit AND it shows that there is 8.1 GB used by another computer AND 8.1GB used by THIS computer.  

I am so confused.  

Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:  I still want to use MozySync to sync files between my three laptops (toshiba laptop is NOT one of them anymore).  I had a terrible experience of a crypto-attack back in the fall which started locking the files on my computer AND becuase they were synced to two other computers, those encrypted files moved to the other two laptops, too.  If I didn't have an external back of those files I'd have been sunk.  So now I want to use MozyPro to backup those files so I don't have to use an external backup.  That makes sense, right?

0 Reps
JaredG
(482)

Re: Backup shows space taken up by old computer?

@mgreen

Yes, it makes sense what you are saying and this is what I found.  I see a MozySync folder/container on your account using 8.1 GBs that has synced with the Mozy cloud in the last 20 minutes, and I see a computer on your account with the Mozy backup software (separate software from Mozy Sync) reporting a "ClientError16" which means that NO files are selected for backup.

The Sync folder is considered "other devices" in the Mozy settings that's using the space on your account.   

Maybe you already know but Mozy Sync is for folder sharing between computers and data is restorable as well as data backed up with the Mozy backup software.

All you need to do now select files for backup in the Mozy backup software.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
mgreen
Student
(0)

Excellent information - thank you.  I think I'm getting closer to my comfort zone - but let me clarify:

Maybe you already know but Mozy Sync is for folder sharing between computers and data is restorable as well as data backed up with the Mozy backup software.

I am primarily concerned that my Mozy Sync folders are able to get restored if I were to get hit with another crypt-attack.  Are you saying that I could restore without having to actually do a MozyPro backup on those folders? 

I tried to create a backup set of only the Mozy folders, but when I go to File System and start working my way through the tree, I can't find the folders! 

But when I go through the windows explorer file tree, I can see the Mozy Sync files - I even right clicked on it once and selected it to "add to the mozy backup" but then there was still nothing in the mozy backup set in Mozy Pro.  I went to go do that right click thing again and now the option to add it to the mozy backup doesn't show up!

Maggie

0 Reps
mgreen
Student
(0)

HI Jared,

I'm still playing around with MozyPro.  I don't see anywhere that my MozySync folders are being backed up.  I went into the "Restore" tab and the folders are nowhere to be found.  What do I do to be sure these files are safely backed up?  

0 Reps
angelag
Community Manager
(320)

Hi @mgreen,

Mozy Sync is actually not backed up through your actual backup, as it is uploaded via Sync and so the Mozy backup software blacklists it. You can restore from it by following the steps in this article: Restore Deleted Sync Files

Please let me know if that helps you, and if there are any other questions or concerns I can help you with.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps
mgreen
Student
(0)

Thanks for the clarification. 

Is there a way to un-blacklist the mozy sync files?  I am particularly concerned with ensuring that I have a backup of those critical files in case I have another crypto virus attack.  What happened last time was that the virus started adding the .crypted extension to all 8gb of my files and I was unable to open them unless I paid a "ransom".  MozySync must have seen these files "change" and started syncing them all to the cloud. Then, of course, my other two laptops "saw" the cloud changes and started to replace the "good" versions on their hard drives with the infected versions from the cloud.

I was able to disconnect one of the laptops from the internet before it was fully synced and was able to save many files that way.  Also, I was lucky that I happened to have a four-week old manual backup and was able to retrieve the files from an external drive.

I want to use MozyPro to serve as a redundant backup to the Sync folder so I don't have to manually back up those critical files to my external hard drive or buy some OTHER cloud backup software. 

I'm still worried for my data.  As a work-around right now I'm copying all of the MozySync folders to another folder under MyDocuments and flagging it to backup with MozyPro.  Obviously not ideal as this protection scheme requires that I intervene and manually copy the files before they can be backed up!

Please tell me I'm missing something key and that I can actually backup those files and keep them safe from future virus attacks.

0 Reps
angelag
Community Manager
(320)
Solution

@mgreen,

Unfortunately there's not a way to remove the Sync files from the blacklist. This is largely because then you would technically have duplication happening, as your Sync files upload to your Mozy account just like your backup files do, and they both share the same quota.

Typically there's not a need to backup the files twice to Mozy due to the fact that you can restore Sync files from the web similarly to how you would restore from your backup, which also includes 30 days worth of previous versions available for restore.

If you need to restore previous versions of files from Sync, you can do so by following the steps in this article: How do I restore previous versions of files in sync?

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
0 Reps
mgreen
Student
(0)

Thanks - I worked my way through that article and found the restore section of the "sync" machine.  What does it mean where the is no "history" listed under the sync machine?  Does that mean that there have been no backups?  It is hard to understand what is going on in this screen.  

I created a test today and made a new dummy folder called "test restore folder feb 10 2017 delete when done" and added a file to it in my Mozy and viola!  I saw it on the sync machine online.  Does that mean it is backed up now?  So if I delete it I should be able to go back and restore it, right?

Another confusion - I get a little box that pops up on my screen called "Mozy Pro - Status" with a nice, green "Start Backup" button on it.  It tells me that 16.2GB are backed up which is good!  AT the bottom there is a "Restore Files" link and when I click on that it brings me to a file tree that I'm not familiar with.  At the bottom of that screen there is an "Access Files Online" link - and now this worries me - when I click on it it brings me to a blank Mozy page with this URL:  https://www.mozypro.com/restore/no_backups

which is unsettling - why is it saying no backups?  

I'm still trying to run through a test where I can put up a file, have Mozy back it up, then I delete it and restore it and I've had zero success so far.

0 Reps
AllanH
(119)

@mgreen

I have reviewed your MozyPro account. As resolving this will likely require discussing private account information, I have created a Support Case on your behalf and have sent an initial reply email to the listed address, which includes details on my findings. Please respond to it when possible so I may address any concerns you may continue to have. 

Thanks!

0 Reps
remymozy
(47)

@mgreen

Did you get the case email from @AllanH ? Please let us know if you run into any issues whatsoever. 

0 Reps