Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Keep your files in Sync with Mozy & What's new with Mozy Windows and Linux clients?
Learn more about Sync as well as Windows and Linux clients in the latest community blogs!

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
diitto
Samurai Level 2
(56)
Solved (Go to Solution)

When will files ACTUALLY be deleted??

I've had a long running disagreement with Mozy over their policy of NOT allowing users the ability to delete from the Mozy servers our own backed up files if we, for whatever reason, change our minds and don't want to have this or that file backed up any longer...  And it's even worse because even if you delete a file from your source computer, you soon find out that the Mozy policy of removing those files from the Mozy servers after 30 days is a policy in name only.  Granted, they did recently make a server software change where a file deleted from your source computer will APPEAR to have been deleted because when you delete the file from source it will show up with "deleted" listed next to the file name for the next 30 days and then after 30 days the file truly will disappear from the list but ONLY SO LONG as you use what would be called the NEW file restore page. But you also have the option of using the "Old File Restore" technique (it shows as an option on the New Restore page.  If you delete a file, wait 30 days and then go to the Old File Restore page and choose "Show Files From All Dates", the file will still be there...   So it's still on the servers and not really deleted at all... 

I once had files that had been deleted (the entire computer in fact had been deleted) for over 1 1/2 YEARS and yet the files still lived on the Mozy servers...   I only got them removed then by making special requests to have them be deleted.... 

Mozy did tell me some time ago that the situation was going to get better one day as they were beginning to implement what they call their "garbage collector" software that was supposed to begin to actually enforce the "keep source deleted files for only 30 days and then delete from servers".   Because I'm interested in whether or not they are ever truly going to adhere to this policy, I do tests...  I create simple files.  Back them up...  Then delete them from source.  I note the date...  I then come back 30 days later and see if they still live in backup on the Old File Restore pages.  If they live there, they still they live on the server, PERIOD...  That they no longer live on the New Restore page while they clearly still live on the Old Restore page would appear to be just that, an appearance, not that they are really deleted...

I did recently see my first file deleted as a test file finally disappear from both the New and the Old Restore pages...  But it took six months...  On the day that occurred, I started yet a new test...  And again, Mozy folks have been saying it's going to "get better over time" ...  I'd like to know if that's really true...  This new test has now been "deleted for 1 month plus a few days...  At the one month mark, as expected, it dropped off of the New Restore page but it still lives on the Old Restore page under the "Show Files From All Dates' choice, meaning it is NOT deleted from the Mozy servers...  

Can someone tell me when I might see this file truly be deleted???  Another few days??? Another month??? Another six???

Know that my interest in file deletion has NOTHING to do with quotas...  I backup about 9GBytes against a quota of 50 GBytes so I care not at all about quotas...  What I instead care about is owners of files (we Mozy subscribers) being in control of what gets backed up and what gets removed from backup if we change our minds.  I think we subscribers should have both options, not just the one that Mozy offers...  

So again, can someone offer some real and useful information about when I might see this file truly be deleted from the Mozy servers???  thanks...

0 Reps
HashemH
(262)

Re: When will files ACTUALLY be deleted??

Currently the feature you have described is not available in Mozy Settings in order to signal Mozy servers to delete the backed up data. This feature has been mentioned and the request has been submitted to the developers. I have not heard any further information about the implementation.

The way to delete the data theoretically from a user perspective, is to deselect the data on the Client machine. At that point the deselected data will be marked for deletion and will be available for 30 days and in some cases beyond that. We are working towards streamlining and scheduling our Garbage Collection process to be run consistently as a scheduled task.

If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy community.

Term and conditions
http://mozy.com/terms

Latest Download
https://mozy.com/download/
0 Reps
diitto
Samurai Level 2
(56)

First of all, yes I am keenly interested in Mozy choosing to offer us the ability to delete our own files...  I too have been told that is being considered...  I truly hope it gets added as an option one day soon..  I could write a book on many reasons why folks might decide to no long want files backed up that they once did want backed up...  But circumstances change...  Mistakes happen (backing up files you didn't intend to back up)..  Even legal situations (hippa laws I heard one guy mention in a suggestion box item I once wrote on this topic) dictate that files need to sometimes be removed from backup, meaning deleted from servers as well...  So yeah, if you hear more about a "user delete button" becoming a reality, please let me know...

My question here was more about the garbage collector...  I recently saw it remove a file (test file) from my backup...  But that's the first time I've ever seen it actually work.... And that took months from the time I first heard about an "improved garbage collector" for that file to finally be deleted from the servers...  Now I have many more files I've chosen to no longer backup...  I've removed them from actively backed up folders and when I did so I watched Mozy mark them all for deletion...  

I know they now will show up that way for 30 days on the NEW restore page...  Then after 30 days they will disappear from that NEW restore page...  But that doesn't count because I will still see them for some period of time and they will still be restorable from the OLD restore page which means they obviously haven't really been deleted from the servers...  Then, eventually the garbage collector will come by and delete them all...

So my question is how long beyond the 30 days after deletion does one need to reasonably wait before this new garbage collector will swing by again and delete all these files such that they will no longer show up ANYWHERE, in the NEW or the OLD restore areas????   I know you don't know an exact amount of time but will it be a few days beyond the original 30???  Or a month???  Or SIX????  That's my real question...  How often will the garbage collector swing by and delete files that have been removed from source for more than 30 days????  

thanks...  bob.. 

0 Reps
HashemH
(262)
Solution

diitto - I understand you are looking for a definite date here but unfortunately I do not have an answer. However, I know for a fact that we are working on improving the GC process to run as a consistent scheduled task. Streamlining the GC process is a high priority for Mozy as it has considerable short and long term benefits. Freeing up storage space in a timely manner is just one example.

The transition is going to take some time because there are number of factors that directly play into this. For example,  we have to take into account the unlimited plans that are still pending. The GC process needs to be implemented in stages until these plans are moved to one of the new ones. I hope this helps clarify a bit.

If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy community.

Term and conditions
http://mozy.com/terms

Latest Download

i am looking for a related but opposite solution. I would like to free up space on my hard drive (source) and use mozy storage as additional storage. so i DO NOT want files deleted on mozy when deleted from the source. how do i ensure this?

0 Reps
Jamesde
(110)

luciowheel wrote:

i am looking for a related but opposite solution. I would like to free up space on my hard drive (source) and use mozy storage as additional storage. so i DO NOT want files deleted on mozy when deleted from the source. how do i ensure this?

Unfortunately, this is not possible currently, as Mozy is not an "archival" service.  We are more of a "mirroring" service since we only continue to backup the data that you currently have selected through the Mozy cllent software on your machine. 

James

Mozy
L2 Premium Support Engineer

Don't forget to mark posts you feel are legitimate resolutions and give reps to posts you like as well!

Latest Download
0 Reps
SHinSF
Elite Level 1
(16)

I came to the community to ask essentially the same question. There are hundreds of files still on the Mozy servers and restorable even though those files were deleted from the computer *months* ago - some cases files still exist on the Mozy servers that were deleted from the source computer over eight months ago. So my question for Mozy is twofold: (1) when are files actually deleted from the backup servers and (2) why is it so much longer than the 30 day retention period? And I suppose the third question is: what are you doing about fixing the problem?
0 Reps