Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
CBR1
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Testing backup

I am using Mozy to backup daily...but how do I know it is really backing up?  How can I test to see if everything is there?

username...

Master Level 1
(2981)
Solution

Re: Testing backup

Surf to here...

https://secure.mozy.com/account

...and look around.

EDIT:

Here is one way to fully test if every file is being backed up:

1) do not change any of the files that you back up during the testing period

(this might be hard to do)

2) manually do one backup of the files that are not going to change during the testing period

3) stop doing your daily backups

(to hold things still during the test)

(you can temporarily suspend backups via the Mozy's settings window)

4) download all of your files from Mozy's server

(As painful as it might be...

...use archive files via the web based restore interface.)

(unzip them all to a temp folder)

(leave the folder structure intact)

(let me know if you need more details on this part)

5) compare each file at the binary level to see if anything changed

(a free tool named WinMerge can help with this. With that tool, you can compare entire folders.)

I've done a test sort of like this several times. Sadly, some of the files were missing from the restore process. In other words, the Mozy app told me that I had X number of files backed up. I was able to confirm that I had X number of files on the hard drive that I wanted backed up. (The Mozy app's count of the files backed up and my count of those files agreed.)

I used the web based interface to request 100% of all of the files that had been backed up. I counted the number of files that came from that restore and I was missing 3 or 4 files. I figured that I had done something wrong during the test... so I repeated the test on a different computer where the Mozy app only backed up one folder filled with lots of files. I only ran the back up one time. That should have simplified the test considerably. Unfortunately, the restore process failed to return every file. Worse than that: the restore process failed to tell me that it had problems finding some of my files. The e-mails said every file was ready for download... but errors happened on Mozy's side that I was not made aware of via the normal restore process. I only learned about the errors after Mozy staff looked in the their records.

The failures to restore every file happen several years ago. The failures happened more than once. I let Mozy know about the failure each time. I have tested this issue several times over the course of many years.

The last couple of tests passed...

(e.g. I got all of my files back.)

...so I stopped testing.

Maybe it is time for another test :-)

EDIT2:

I tested Saturday night/Sunday morning.

I got all of my files back.

It was a simple test.

One folder.

One backup.

One restore.

One million files.

Binary compare also passed.

(e.g. the restored files were the same as the files that I backed up.)

The date/time stamps changed on each restored file.

This annoys some users...

...and can be problematic for some applications.

Once again, I'll state that the Mozy app has too much overhead when backing up lots of tiny files. It should not take 4 hours to back up these files. The total size of the files backed up was about 6MB on the disk.

17MB is reported on the account home page.

7.6MB is reported by the Mozy status window.

5.6MB shown in the Settings > History tab.

The sentence shown in the screenshot below never did populate the number of files out of 1000000 files...

out-of.PNG

...and I do not have 1 restore currently building.

The test was done using a test account. Not the account that I use to log into the forum.

AllanH
(203)

@CBR1

I see that your backup was updated earlier today and no errors.  Were you able to view the details you are looking for?

JaredG
(384)

@CBR1

We haven't heard back from you yet.  Were you able to find or verify your backed up files?

You may also check your computer locally a list of all files backed up by right clicking on the Mozy checker box icon in your system tray next to your clock or time and date and choose "View backed Up Files" in the menu to see a list of all files that have backed up.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
Tyler_W
(72)

@CBR1

We feel like this issue has been resolved. We are marking the solution for future reference. Please let us know if you need any further assistance.

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
username...

Master Level 1
(2981)

JaredG wrote:

@CBR1

We haven't heard back from you yet.  Were you able to find or verify your backed up files?

You may also check your computer locally a list of all files backed up by right clicking on the Mozy checker box icon in your system tray next to your clock or time and date and choose "View backed Up Files" in the menu to see a list of all files that have backed up.

Thank you,

Does that show you all of the files that are backed up?

It does not work for me. Does it work for you?

I only see about 550 files listed in that window.

I have more than 7300 files backed up.

Also: please see my heavily modified post above.

JaredG
(384)

@username_issues @CBR1

username_issues wrote:

Does that show you all of the files that are backed up?

It does not work for me. Does it work for you?

I only see about 550 files listed in that window.

I have more than 7300 files backed up.

Also: please see my heavily modified post above.

You should see and entire list of every file backed up when opening the "view backed up files" link from the Mozy system tray icon right click menu, however if the backup is running then it will also include a list of files in a column to the right of "files backed up" called "files awaiting backup".  Once the backup completes then the list of files awaiting backup will disappear and the display of all files backed up should appear in the list.  I will look into this and find out if this is a recent issue with version 2.30.0.473 or if it's an issue with previous versions.  This list should include everything backed up.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
JaredG
(384)

@username_issues

I've looked into this and yes this is an problem with the "viewed backed up files" option as it does not always display all the files in the backup.  This is a fix the developers can address.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Jared
Mozy Support
JaredG
(384)

@CBR1

We haven't heard back from you.  You can check your backed up files through the Mozy preferences by clicking on the Mozy checker box icon at the top of your desktop next to the time and choosing the "Preferences" option at the bottom of the list.

Than use the files and folders tab to check the file selection.

Here is a link to further instructions for checking your file selection.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support