Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: How to Find Your Support ID
MozyPro customers who are looking for Phone Support will need their 9-digit Support ID in order to get through. Today's blog post covers the steps you need to take to find yours...

September's Webinar: User Groups: What are they good for?
This months webinar on 09/27 will look at User Groups: what they are, how to use them and how to get the most benefit from them for your organization. Register today!
cathygil...

Elite Level 1
(14)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Remove files from back up

Hey,

I am in the process of completing the first back up of my MacBook. I can see now that I won't have enough room to back up the selected files. I have paused the back up (15GB completed, 69GB remaining, I only purchased 50GB) and am trying to select the (-) option of certain folders and files in Preferences. However I push the (-) button and nothing changes, it just turns back into a green circle. I want to stop these useless files being backed up and instead back up my External Hard drive which has all my irreplaceable photos on it. This was my primary reason for purchasing Mozy back up and I am not able to do it (external hard drive is greyed out in Files and Folders - I assume this is because there is not enough room.

Please help.

JaredG
(654)

Re: Remove files from back up

@cathygiliam

Thank you for posting in the Mozy community.  It sounds like something has happened to the Mozy configuration file and it's not accepting changes.  What happens when you close the Mozy preferences and reopen?

If there has been no change after reopening the Mozy preferences then it's possible that the configuration file that saves your backup selection and other settings is corrupt and needs to be rebuilt. (this is a very rare occurrence)

For Mozy to rebuild the configuration file follow the steps below:

1. Go in the Finder to Macintosh HD/Library/Caches/Mozy/
  2. Move the cache.db and cache.db-journal (if it's there) to the Trash.
  3. Go to Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/
  4. Open the Activity Monitor.
  5. In the top right part of the window, click the pull down menu labeled Show and change it from the default My Processes to All Processes.
  6. Find the Mozybackup process in the list and click on it.
  7. Click the Quit Process button in the top left. When prompted choose Force Quit and type in your computer's admin password.
  8. The Mozy process will restart automatically and now you may open the Mozy preferences and select the data you want backed up.

The data you have already backed up will not have to backup again, and any data that we already have backed up will be skipped over during this next backup.   Only data that has changed or the data that has not been backed up will be uploaded on the next backup.

Please post any question s or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
cathygil...

Elite Level 1
(14)

Thanks JaradG for your replay. This enabled me to remove the green spot from the files I didnt want to back up.

I have tried to add my hard drive photos file and it has given me the green spot for the main file I want backed up. It was already selected when I tried this today, so I am guessing I was able to do it at some point, but because the folder was greyed out yesterday afternoon so I couldn't select it to check. 

I then checked the details from the tool bar at the top and there will clearly not be enough space as I believe I have only purchased 50BG. See screen shot (hopefully attached). What will happen when it realises that there is not enough room? Why does it let me select files when there isnt enough room? It would be easier if I could add files that I deem priority and know when I am reaching my data limit by seeing details of this.

Thanks.

ScottS1
(86)

@cathygiliam

Once it reaches your limit it will stop and give "AccountError3". If you've selected all of Library, this is likely why it shows so much. I recommend pausing the backup then de-select Library as a whole if you selected it.

Personally, within my own Mac environment I de-select everything. Then I go into each individual folder and select the files and folders that I deem appropriate. This is how I recommend proceeding:

- Open Mozy

- Click "Pause Backup"

- Click on "Open MozyHome Preferences..."

- Click on "Files & Folders"

- De-select everything (Click the gem, be it yellow or green, then click on the "-" symbol to clear the selection)

- Now go to each folder you want to backup individually (Avoid the Library folder as a whole, because that's essentially backing up your entire Macintosh) and select what you desire appropriate

- This will help you remain within your limit

- When you do this, be sure to keep an eye out on the Usage bar below

- It can be multicolored and fills from left to right

- Then resume the backup

Let us know if this helps!

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

cathygil...

Elite Level 1
(14)

Thanks Scott for your reply.

I have done as you suggested...after having to reset the configuration again (very rarely occurred twice for me).

My problem is that the usage bar doesn't change as I add/remove files. It will adjust when I come back after 24 hours and look at it again, but not as instantaneous as when I select on each folder I deem necessity. So for now I have just selected 3 folders and will check tomorrow how much space that takes up...and keep adding until I get close to my quota. Unless there is a way to fix this usage bar?

angelag
Community Manager
(1191)

HI @cathygiliam,

Depending on the size of the folders you're selecting or deselecting, and the speed of your system, it can definitely take some time to select those files. When you make a change in the Preferences, you'll see the note that it's "Scanning..." down in the bottom right corner, and that scanning message will go away when it's finished the process you started, and that's when you'll see the changes/updates to your totals.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
ScottS1
(86)

@cathygiliam

Were the steps we've given helpful? Does this resolve your concerns, or do you have additional questions we can help answer?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Forum Moderator

angelag
Community Manager
(1191)

Hi @cathygiliam,

Just checking in, we haven't heard from you for a few days, is this resolved? Is there anything further we can help you with?

If we don't hear from you we'll be closing this out in the next few days.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
JaredG
(654)

@cathygiliam

Are you still having problems with the backup selection taking a long time to adjust?  I've seen this happen before and may be directly related to what happened to your configuration file initially.  If this is still a problem and making adjustments to the file selection takes a long time or if it's not working at all, I would suggest reinstalling Mozy.

If you want to reinstall Mozy as I would recommend if you are still having this problem, there is an uninstall link on the bottom right corner of the Summary tab when you open the Mozy preferences.  When uninstalling you will be asked to save settings for a future Mozy install, choose no and do not save any settings.  Once uninstalled reboot your Mac and reinstall Mozy.

Here's a link to the latest version of Mozyhome for Mac.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
cathygil...

Elite Level 1
(14)

I have no idea whats going on now. It has stopped backing up as far as I can tell, so I thought that it was completed...however in System Preferences > MozyHome it tells me that 54GB Selected, 45GB awaiting backup. I don't know why the backup has stopped, using the Mozy button in top tool bar it says "all files up to date" (which was what made me think it was completed), 16.2% storage used, can press Pause and then Resume and gives me the same info.

At this stage I would like to cancel my subscription as I have used Time Machine to back up to an external Hard Drive and that worked simply, quickly and without any issues.