Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Enter to Win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
We've decided to redesign our Mozy Community and we want YOUR feedback. Run on over to our Community Feedback Giveaway and tell us what you think about our current Community, what you'd like to see from a new Community design, or anything else Community-related for a chance at a $50 gift card!

Don't miss it-the giveaway ends on 3/27!

Join Us for the March Webinar: My Backup Is Not Working, How Do I Fix That?
Have you ever wondered how to troubleshoot your backups when they're missed or stop working fully? Join us on March 29th at 9AM PST while we walk you through some basic troubleshooting and your options for fixing backup issues with Support. Register HERE.
marysmac
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Remove computer without deleting files

How do I remove a computer without deleting all the files?  I went from a windows to a mac and need to add a new computer and it will only let me have one computer name.

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(386)

Re: Remove computer without deleting files

Hi. It looks like your question didn't get answered by one of our community members. Let me get a Mozy Support agent to hop in and assist you.

Zach M.
Community Manager
AllanH
(203)

@marysmac

Hi there. You are currently on a plan that allows for only one device. If you add another device, you will be given the option to add an additional device to the account during the installation of the software. That will keep the previously backed up files intact from the other computer. To change the number of computers being backed up,  please login to your account here:

https://secure.mozy.com

1. From the menu on the left-hand side, click on My Plan

2. Click on Upgrade Current

3. Click on the drop-down menu to the right of Computers and change the value to the number of device you wish to have

4. Click Continue

5. Confirm the pro-rated charge (since we are partway through the billing cycle)

6. After that, you can install the backup software and will be able to add an additional computer for backup

The backup software for Mac can be downloaded here:

http://mozy.com/downloads/mozysetup.dmg

Don't hesitate to post if you need additional help. Otherwise,  kindly click on "Accept as Solution" if the information helped you resolve your issue.

Thanks!

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(386)

Thanks @AllanH  @marysmac Let us know if you need any more help.

Zach M.
Community Manager
username...

Master Level 1
(2981)

marysmac wrote:

How do I remove a computer without deleting all the files?  I went from a windows to a mac and need to add a new computer and it will only let me have one computer name.

As you see, the official answer is to buy more features.

My unofficial answer would be...

...manually transfer your files to your Mac

(either via web restore downloads or local file sharing)

Once all of your files are on your Mac...

...delete the Windows computer from your Mozy account

...then immediately backup the Mac computer.

Your files on Mozy's server are not usually deleted instantly. You can probably backup your Mac without uploading every file again. See this post for info on what should happen during the first backup of the Mac.

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(386)

Excellent insight. Seems to be the most practical way to handle this.

Zach M.
Community Manager
AngelinaS
(194)

@marysmac   Was the information provided by @AllanH and @username_issues helpful?   If this helped you please like the response given and press Accept as Solution

Thank you,

Angie

JaredG
(384)
Solution

@marysmac

I see an attempt at a restore for your computers backup.  Here are instructions on how to restore all files through the web:

https://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Requesting-Web-Restore-for-All-Files

Once you restore all files from the web to your Mac then you may delete your old computer from your account and start a new backup from your Mac.

Here are the instructions to delete a computer from your account once you restore all files from the old backup:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-delete-a-machine-from-my-account

If you need some more help please come into the Mozy chats for direct assistance using the link below:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-do-I-chat-with-support

Please post any question or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
jonr
(41)

Has the information provided resolved your issue? Don't hesitate to post if you still need assistance.

Thanks,

Jonr

AngelinaS
(194)

@marysmac    Has the information provided resolved your issue?   If this helped you please like the response given and press Accept as Solution

Thank you,

Angie