Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: How to Find Your Support ID
MozyPro customers who are looking for Phone Support will need their 9-digit Support ID in order to get through. Today's blog post covers the steps you need to take to find yours...

September's Webinar: User Groups: What are they good for?
This months webinar on 09/27 will look at User Groups: what they are, how to use them and how to get the most benefit from them for your organization. Register today!
Highlighted
Mike14
Assassin
(8)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy won't die on Mac (Sierra)

Hello -- 

I want to try to stop Mozy from running for a few days on my machine.  (It is taking a lot of CPU scanning files and I need to run something that requires CPU).

I tried suspending backups for a week but while this suspends the backups it doesn't stop the scanning. I also tried killing MozyHomeBackup in Activity Monitor and via the command line with kill -9 but it just comes back. Specifically I kill both MozyHome Status and MozyHomeBackup both come back within 5 seconds.  

How do I stop Mozy from doing anything for a few days?  Any idea what is bringing these processes back to life??

Thanks!

Benjamin_C
(186)

Re: Mozy won't die on Mac (Sierra)

To be honest if you want to completely stop Mozy from scanning and running, you will need to uninstall, then re-install once you are ready. As a full backup solution the program will continue to scan in the background, even when set to backup suspension. The only way around it is the uninstall as I was talking about. If it asks whether you want to keep the configuration, I would suggest that you keep it. 

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
Mike14
Assassin
(8)

Thank you for your reply.  

My particular issue aside, it is odd (and arguably poor form) for the application to just restart even when killed.  Can you please share what/how Mozy is being restarted?

Thanks!

angelag
Community Manager
(1191)

Hi @Mike14,

The program is designed to continually be able to scan the drive in order to catch any changes and update the cache file in order to backup properly. The program itself restarts when you kill it because it cannot function properly if it's not running continually in the background. As @Benjamin_C mentioned, if you want it to completely stop you would need to temporarily uninstall the program in order to keep it killed for a specific amount of time. Otherwise it will continually scan and restart itself while installed.

To uninstall, hold your option key and click on the Mozy icon in the upper menu bar to select Uninstall from the drop down menu. As long as you check the box for "keep logs and config files" when uninstalling, you should have no problem simply reinstalling and having it keep all your settings when you decided to download and install it again. If you uncheck that box, it will delete the settings and you'd have to reselect files when reinstalling and reassociate the backed up files.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
ScottS1
(86)

@Mike14

Hello Mike. Just checking in. Was the suggestion by Ben and the explanation by Angela more clarifying to help you proceed with this hardware and software issue? Do you have any other questions we could help answer?

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Support

Mike14
Assassin
(8)
Solution

Hello all --

Thank you for the replies and follow up.  I do appreciate them but I found them lacking.  It's hard to believe that there is no way to stop a process and it's incredibly poor behavior for a process to continue when explicitly killed as root.

I checked quickly and indeed Mozy uses launchctl to keep the process running which means launchctl unload should be able to stop it.  I confirmed this myself and it seems to work.  And I also confirmed with Mozy support directly and was advised that indeed 

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.[mozybrand].backup.plist should work.  

I hope this is helpful to anyone else who has this issue.

Thanks
angelag
Community Manager
(1191)

@Mike14,

Thank you very much for the update, and I'm glad you found a solution that works for you. Is there anything further we can assist you with?

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
JaredG
(654)

@Mike14

I appears that you have solved the problem you initially posted, however please post any other question or comments, otherwise please mark this thread as solved.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
ScottS1
(86)

@Mike14

This is valuable feedback. I will mark your response as the solution as this is very important information, especially if any other Mac uses run into this in the future and land at this page requiring additional guidance. We value your contribution and thank you for your response and accuracy!

Regards,

Scott

Mozy Support

arnack
Spy
(0)

Yes, that command works but it's a shame that in the 21st century we have to drive a stake through the heart of an application just to be able to use the other applications normally.