Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
April's Webinar: Protecting Your Data From Attack
In case you missed it, April's webinar has been posted!

The Latest from The Mozy Blog: What's new with Mozy?
A couple new updates have been released for the Windows and Mac clients as well as some new features in the latest Linux client. Check out our latest blogs for all the details!

Looking for support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
BCgal
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Mozy and Mac

I have a macBook Air and have been told I don't need Mozy backup since Apple products have their own backup systems already installed on the machines.  If so, do I have access to old files that were backed up to my pc without being a Mozy subscriber?

username...

Master Level 1
(2981)

Re: Mozy and Mac

BCgal wrote:

I have a macBook Air and have been told I don't need Mozy backup since Apple products have their own backup systems already installed on the machines.  If so, do I have access to old files that were backed up to my pc without being a Mozy subscriber?

You should make sure that you understand what files/folders are being backed up by the Apple product that you mentioned. (Apple has a few different backup schemes.) It is nice if you are backing up the entire macBook via Apple's Time Machine product, but lots of people don't buy the hardware for that option... and that option does not provide offsite backups. In other words, a fire or weather event could destroy your macBook and your Time Machine backup.

If your Mozy account is still active, you can get to the files that are backed up on that account via the web interface. See this documentation: https://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/Documentation/mozy-c-downloading-one-or-few-files. If that is not what you were looking for, then look thru the links in the tree on the left side of that website to see if you can find a document title that might be more applicable.

ShawnL
Community Manager
(449)
Solution

@BCgal - @username_issues is certainly correct here. Having an offsite backup has many advantages. Should something happen to your computer and your backup drive, then you know your files are safe with Mozy and can be easily downloaded to a new computer once replaced. As a Mac user myself, I love having all my files available for me to access whenever I need them using MozyHome to backup data on all my computers, Mozy Sync to share files between my computers and the Mobile app to upload pictures from my phone to my Mozy account. 

As long as your account is active, you will have access to the latest version of your files. Additional information can be found in the link below:

How long does Mozy keep my files?

Should you need any help with your account or have any other questions, we will be happy to help! I can even create a case with our support team if you would like to take this issue offline. 

Thanks!

Shawn L.
Community Manager
JaredG
(418)

@BCgal

I also agree with ShawnL and username_issues with what they've mentioned above.

As username_issues mentioned Time Machine is not a cloud / off site backup service and your computer is subject to failure either by flood, fire or believe it or not even lightning.  Surprisingly enough to me since I started working for Mozy over three years ago I've helped more customer than I can count restore data because of a lightning strike in their area that "fried" their computer.

You never know when a local disaster may strike, so having an off site cloud backup is a must.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you, 

Jared
Mozy Support
Tyler_W
(72)

@BCgal We haven't heard back from you yet. Is there anything else we can assist you with?

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
AngelinaS
(211)

@BCgal   Was the information provided in this thread helpful in answering your questions?

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

angelag
Community Manager
(652)

@BCgal

Looks like our great forum team got you all squared away with their answers above. We haven't heard from you, so we're going to go ahead and mark this thread as resolved, but don't hesitate to let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support