Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
New from the Blog: Take a Tour of the Mozy Admin Console
Take a tour of the Mozy Admin Console in Part 1, Part 2: Users & Machines, Part 3: SubPartners & SubAdmins, Part 4: Resources and Billing, and the most recent installment, Part 5: Graphs & Reports.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
mjsc
Assassin
(10)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Excluding a folder called Library

Hello, I have set mozy to backup following this path Users - A - Documents In other words all the files under documents. At this moment in time there is one word doc in the documents folder. If I visit the restore portal I see the following files have been backed up ( see attachment ) I am new to Mac OS and Mozy and I cannot see a easy way to locate the directory called ' library ' and exclude from my backup I have to say it is odd that I cannot locate and excluded because I have managed to locate and exclude other directories. Thanks in advance for any pointers...
Tyler_W
(72)

Re: Excluding a folder called Library

@mjsc Thank you for contacting us!

When it comes to excluding certain folders from being backed up you can do this in the Files & Folders tab > Advanced.

In there you can click on the "+" under "Don't Backup" then select "File/Folder..." From there you will be able to navigate through Finder and locate the Library folder, once you have selected that click Add at the bottom. This should exclude that folder from being backed up.

Please let us know if you had any other questions. 

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
mjsc
Assassin
(10)

Hello,

I have followed your instructions and browsed through the directories under my user profile ( user name ' a' ) but I cannot find the directory ' library ' under my user profile.

Please see attached screen grab

I cannot see the directory ' library ' under my user profile with Finder either....

Thanks.

Benjamin_C
(120)

By default your Mac hides the library from everyone, including Mozy. What you will need to do is temporarily 'un-hide' that folder. Follow this article to un-hide the folder, at which point you'll be able to de-select it for backup like in the previous post:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/Solution/Where-is-my-users-library-folder-on-OS-X-Lion

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
mjsc
Assassin
(10)

Hello,

Benjamin_C - thanks for your tip about the use of terminal - the library folder is now excluded from backup.

I reckon this will work fine at the next backup.

One last query before I close off the ticket - how long before the ' library ' directory disappears or removes itself from the list of directories that have been backed up ?

Can I remove the backed up ' library ' directory manually ?

Thanks...

angelag
Community Manager
(797)
Solution

Hi @mjsc,

If you have removed the Library folder from your backup by excluding it your settings, Mozy will mark that folder for deletion during the next backup you run. As per Mozy's data retention policies, the files that have been marked for deletion will be kept for a certain amount of time (30 days for MozyHome, 60 days for MozyPro, and 90 days for MozyEnterprise) before it is fully deleted from your account.

This is in case you should need to restore something you've removed from your backup (in case of data loss or disaster) and the files that are not part of your current selection do not count against your quota or affect your account in any way. After the data retention window has passed Mozy will delete the files entirely from your account and the back end and they will no longer exist on the servers or be able to be restored.

Please let me know if there is anything further I can clarify for you.

Angela G.
Community Moderator/Technical Support
JaredG
(470)

@mjsc

I agree with Angelag.  Once the backup completes the data that was once selected for backed up will be removed from the backup and then available for restore for 30 days (Mozy home customers have 30 days) but will not count against your storage space.  

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
mjsc
Assassin
(10)

Hello,

Thanks all for the suggestions and solutions.

This post can be marked as resolved.

Thanks.

ShawnL
Community Manager
(488)

@mjsc - Thank you for using the Mozy forums! Please let us know if you have any additional questions in the future and we will be happy to help!

Have a great weekend!

Shawn L.
Community Manager