Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Trending KB Articles This Week
Check out the articles that are popular this week, and some other information and articles that can help you find further resolution if you're experiencing these issues.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you!
PhillyCS
Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

El Capitan needs big increase in space

After upgrading my Mac to El Capitan (10.11.2), Mozy (2.13.8.1552) appears to need space equivalent to an entire backup. This is way beyond my Plan. I realize the iPhoto to Photo transition required a big increase but this is crazy. How do I resolve?

0 Reps
Julius
(154)

Re: El Capitan needs big increase in space

@PhillyCS

The transition from iPhoto to Photos is most likely the cause of your issue. Photos is meant to replace both iPhoto and Aperture. Once Photos is downloaded to the computer, all pictures are migrated from iPhoto over to Photos. Essentially what happens though is the library is duplicated and not simply moved. In the user’s Pictures folder you now have a new “Photos Library.photoslibrary” and a the original iPhoto library is renamed to “iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary”. These should be roughly identical in size and  the same number of files. If you're backing up Photos, Mozy is now going to count that storage twice - because of iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary and Photos Library.photoslibrary which are duplicates of each other. To resolve the issue, remove iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary from the Mozy backup selection.  To do so follow these steps:

1. Open MozyHome preferences
  2. Click on Files and folders
  3. Navigate and locate the iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary and deselect  it.
  4. Next time the backup runs that will be removed from our servers.

Let's know if you've any questions. Thank you for using Mozy community.

If a response has resolved your issue please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy community.

Mozy Support Engineer
0 Reps
PhillyCS
Student
(0)

Thanks for the suggestion and I’ve de-selected the iPhoto folders. However, Mozy is still “selecting” too much data to backup. Specifically, the Mozy Summary screen has selected 397GB of my 500MG hard drive, yet Finder tells me only 272GB are Used. Furthermore, when I deselect the Pictures folder completely, Mozy reduces its selection by 200GB yet Finder tells me this folder is only 133GB in size. Have any other suggestions? Thanks!

0 Reps
Julius
(154)
Solution

@PhillyCS

Photos library is also located inside my Pictures folder. Therefore what you've inside Photos library technically came from Pictures folder. In Finder, when you "Get Info" on the Pictures folder it will does not count the Photos library since pictures are already accounted for in the entire folder. But Mozy will count such twice because according to us Photos is a subfolder of Pictures folder. This is why Finder reports a smaller size that Mozy when you've entire pictures selected. To avoid this, you'll need to decide whether you want to backup the Photos library only , or the contents of the Pictures folder except the Photos library.

If a response has resolved your issue please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy community.

Mozy Support Engineer
0 Reps
PhillyCS
Student
(0)

Let me be sure I understand you. Are you suggesting if I select the Pictures folder but deselect the Photos library in Pictures, Mozy will backup my files in the Photos library? If this is accurate, how would I restore the contents of the Photos library if needed?  Thanks!

0 Reps
Julius
(154)

@PhillyCS

You could backup one or the other ONLY if you've transferred all your pictures contents  to the Photos Library. In your case this is not the case so your answer is no. You'll need to choose what you want to backup under pictures, excluding the old iPhotos Library because that was migrated to Photos.

Mozy Support Engineer
0 Reps
PhillyCS
Student
(0)

I appreciate your help in addressing my questions. I’m still at a loss to why the 100GB of new storage required after upgrading to El Capitan. I’ve deleted all iPhoto libraries (moved to trash) and selected the Pictures folder and Photo libraries for backup as instructed. Mozy still says 291GB are selected for backup (apps directory deselected), yet only 269GB are used on the computer according to the disk utility. I can’t justify adding 100GB of backup storage with other “unlimited” backup solutions on the market. Can you address why Mozy wants to backup more than I‘m using? Would reinstalling the Mozy app altogether and starting fresh be a possible solution? Thanks.

0 Reps
rond
(10)

@PhillyCS

After removing the duplicate iPhoto library files from your Mozy backup selections that El Capitan upgrade had duplicated to the new Apple Photos, the next back up will remove the deselected duplicate library files from your Mozy backup online.  Then you should see the correct total GB usage on your backup once the backup completes 100%.

It appears that your computer has ran a backup after you made those changes and your machine now shows a lot less GB of usage.  Can you please confirm if GB selected for backup on Mozy Preferences looks to be correct now?

Thanks,

Mozy Support

0 Reps
PhillyCS
Student
(0)

I'm still unable to successfully complete an entire backup as I need roughly 50GB above my current quota.  Therefore, I've deselected a Photo library temporaraly just to be able to backup other important files. I'm not sure what I am going to do yet.

Thanks

0 Reps
AngelinaS
(220)

@PhillyCS   Have you been able to resolve the over storage limit issue with the information previously provided?  

If this helped you please like the response given and press Accept as Solution

Thank you,

Angie

0 Reps