Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
New from the Blog: Take a Tour of the Mozy Admin Console
Take a tour of the Mozy Admin Console in Part 1, Part 2: Users & Machines, Part 3: SubPartners & SubAdmins, Part 4: Resources and Billing, and the most recent installment, Part 5: Graphs & Reports.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
nikijono
Cook
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Backups randomly deletes files and have to re-upload

I have been having this problem for a while with Mozy Mac.  During routine backups, sometimes the Mozy app randomly deletes large chunks of my backup set from the Mozy server, and then I have to wait while the files are reuploaded.  My total backup set is 149 GB.  This morning, all of it was uploaded.  For some reason during the next backup, the backup set went down to 6 GB.  Now it is showing 7 GB successfully backed up and 143 GB still pending.

Why does it do this?  I want to back the files up once and not have to worry about them being randomly deleted.  What if my hard drive crashes right now?  Would the previously backed up 143 GB be lost for good?  That is not acceptable.

I am using Mozy 2.15.0.1607 and El Capitan 10.11.4.

My log file has the following entries from this morning.  Why would 102,000 files be deleted for no reason from the server?

**Removed**:14:56.000 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Checking for update
**Removed**:14:56.001 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Version is up-to-date (2.14.0.1562)
**Removed**:14:56.124 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Transferring history log
**Removed**:14:56.125 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Using 71.1 MB of memory
**Removed**:14:57.305 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Loading machine information (registering if necessary)
**Removed**:14:57.600 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Account quota: 152043520 KB
**Removed**:14:59.061 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Loading encryption key
**Removed**:14:59.067 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Updating manifest
**Removed**:15:01.312 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Building backup set
**Removed**:15:05.480 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Processing deleted files (102343)
**Removed**:15:07.582 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Using 93.2 MB of memory
**Removed**:15:07.582 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Processing new or changed files
**Removed**:15:07.698 MozyHomeBackup[78] INF (backup) Using 91.3 MB of memory
**Removed**:23:56.084 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (main) Backup running as pid 75
**Removed**:24:18.482 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (main) Mobile Documents folder path found. Blacklisting the following path: /Users/.localized/Library/Mobile Documents
**Removed**:24:18.482 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (main) Mobile Documents folder path found. Blacklisting the following path: /Users/Encrypted Sparse Images/Library/Mobile Documents
**Removed**:24:18.482 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (main) Mobile Documents folder path found. Blacklisting the following path: /Users/Jonathan/Library/Mobile Documents
**Removed**:24:18.482 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (main) Mobile Documents folder path found. Blacklisting the following path: /Users/Shared/Library/Mobile Documents
**Removed**:24:18.485 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (service) Starting service (2.14.0.1562)
**Removed**:24:18.485 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (service) OS: Version 10.11.4 (Build 15E65)
**Removed**:24:18.486 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (service) Arch: x86_64
**Removed**:24:18.490 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (service) Mem: 8.6 GB
**Removed**:24:18.490 MozyHomeBackup[75] INF (service) Starting churn service

Benjamin_C
(120)

Re: Backups randomly deletes files and have to re-upload

Hmm, that is fairly odd behavior. Before looking at trouble shooting, I do have some good news! We store old backups for 30 days, so even if it removed all of your files from the backup, and then the computer crashes, you would still be able to get the old files from previous backups. For more information see here:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/How-long-does-Mozy-keep-my-files

As for the odd re-backing up of the files, normally Mozy only backs up files that have been changed. It sounds like it is backing up far more than that though. You may need to re-install the program, but before that I would advise deleting the Mozy Cache.db as shown here:

http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Where-are-the-Mac-clients-support-databases-located

Benjamin_C
~Mozy Support

PS: If a response has resolved your issue, please mark it as a solution to help the Mozy Community!
JaredG
(470)

@nikijono

I see the last successful backup on 05/05/16 and only two generic errors reporting after the last successful backup.  I suggest that you reinstall Mozy as Benjamin_C has posted above, however during the uninstall process when it asks you if you want to save your settings/configuration, select NO and once Mozy is installed again then you will need to select your files for backup again and this should fix the issue here.

Just a reminder as Benjamin_C posted above, you have 30 days from 05/05/16 to restore any data that might be missing.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
JaredG
(470)

@nikijono

I'm still not seeing any backups.  You should reinstall Mozy as directed previously, however when you are running the uninstaller you will be asked to save your configuration for later use and  you want to choose NO and select your files again for backups once installed again. 

This should fix the problem you are having.

Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
JaredG
(470)

@nikijono

I'm still not seeing any backups.  Were you able to reinstall Mozy as directed?  Please post any questions or comments.

Thank you,

Jared
Mozy Support
Tyler_W
(72)

@nikijono

Hello! Did the previous post answer your questions, or do you need anymore help from us? Please let us know!

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
nikijono
Cook
(0)
Solution

You should be able to see a backup as of today.  I updated the software and apparently the problem is resolved.  I think the issue occurred between updates of the software.  

Thanks!

ShawnL
Community Manager
(488)

@nikijono

Your backup history is showing that a successful manual backup went through on 06/04/2016. Should you wish to setup your backup to run automatically or on a schedule, please see the link below:

How do I set an automatic backup on a Mac?

If you have any additional questions, please reply here or post another topic in our community and we will be happy to help!

Shawn

Shawn L.
Community Manager