Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Most Liked Users
User Reps Count
Announcements
New from the Blog: Take a Tour of the Mozy Admin Console
Take a tour of the Mozy Admin Console in Part 1, Part 2: Users & Machines, Part 3: SubPartners & SubAdmins, Part 4: Resources and Billing, and the most recent installment, Part 5: Graphs & Reports.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
Jon
Assassin
(2)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Backup sets verses File Backup selection

Are these mutually exclusive, inclusive, or does one take precedence over the other?  It's not clear to me, and I did RTxM.  (Not that it matters TODAY because Mozy Mac is still broken and awaiting a software fix.)  Of the two, backup sets seem more flexible when trying to exclude files of a certain pattern type (ie spotlight indexes, etc), but they don't appear to work on hidden files.

Liam
Samurai Level 1
(24)
Solution

Re: Backup sets verses File Backup selection

Hey Jon!

Mozy is as greedy as possible when it comes to merging between backup sets and file selection, meaning that it'll try and attempt as many files as possible that match either rules, with any lower level exclusions taking precedence!

Hope that makes sense..

Doug700
Warrior
(5)

Got hit with a virus, which uploaded many corrupted files to Mozy. Need to select last good backup so as to exclude corrupted files when restoring to new computer.

ShawnL
Community Manager
(488)

@Doug700 - Sorry for the delay in response. It looks like we missed your post since it was attached to an older post that was marked as Resolved. 

To restore from a previous date before your files were corrupted, please follow the steps in the link below:

How do I restore from an earlier date using the web restore dashboard?

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance. We can help through the forums or create a case for you. 

Thanks!

Shawn L.
Community Manager
JaredG
(470)

@Doug700

If this was a ransom virus then you can search for the file extension used by the virus in the web restore page until you can find a date where the extension doesn't exist in the backup, then you can restore all files from that data.

Jared
Mozy Support
Doug700
Warrior
(5)

Thanks for the response. I'm mostly through with deleting corrupted files from one more computer and downloading replacement files from Mozy, so at this point it's easier to just continue this tedious process. My main computer was affected, but I got to it before any corrupted files were backed up, so I was able to do a mass delete and restored the entire C: drive from Mozy. My laptop wasn't turned on, so wasn't affected. All three computers are clean and have additional protection on them. We don't know the source of the virus, but suspect it was from a game site visited by grandson.

ShawnL
Community Manager
(488)

@Doug700 - I'm happy to hear that your restore was successful! 

Please let us know if we can answer any additional questions for you and thank you for using the Mozy community!

Shawn L.
Community Manager