Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
lcan
Cook
(2)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Backup problems

After unintalling and reinstalling as I was told to last time with a very unhelpful chat representative, I have tried this again, but it only seems to work for a few days and then will not back up either when scheduled or when prompted. I have the latest version installed and cannot fathom reinstalling every couple of days for a service that is supposed to be meant to automatically back up my files. Last time I contacted customer support, I was not given a satisfactory answer as to why this is happening, and advice on how to fix it going forward. My computer has not backed anything up since Dec. 26th and will not do so now.

Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix? Otherwise, I am going to cancel my membership and rely exclusively on my external hard drive or switch to another service. I don't see the point of having to actively "fix" something that you're supposed to sort of take for granted.

ryanw
Employee
(248)
Solution

Re: Backup problems

lcan, thanks for posting. Welcome to the Community.

Since it appears you've already reinstalled Mozy on your machine, I can't give a definitive reason as to why you continually have to do this. You most definitely should not have to. Based on your backup history in our system (ClientError5 and others), I can only take a stab in the dark as to what your problem is. Along those lines, I'd like to have you check out this KB article:

What are some common 3rd party software conflicts with Mozy for Mac?

In particular, I'd like to know if you have any "system optimization" software installed and running such as CleanMyMac or MacKeeper. If you do and you use any cache cleaning options, that's likely the cause of your troubles. Mozy has a critical cache file that it can't run without. Apps like these will delete this cache file and cause Mozy lots of difficulties until you force Mozy to create a new cache, which you can do either by reinstalling or by following these steps:

1. Go in the Finder to Macintosh HD/Library/Caches/MozyHome/
2. Move the cache.db and cache.db-journal (if it's there) to the Trash.
3. Go to Macintosh HD/Applications/Utilities/
4. Open the Activity Monitor
5. In the top right part of the window, click the pull down menu labeled Show and change it from the default My Processes to All Processes.
6. Find the MozyHomeBackup process in the list and click on it.
7. Click the Quit Process button in the top left. When prompted choose Force Quit and type in your computer's admin password if necessary.

Consequently we very strongly recommend disabling the cache cleaning (and log cleaning) options for any system optimization software you may be using. That should avoid these problems.

If you don't have anything like this, we'd be very interested in seeing more about what's going on. If it happens again I'd recommend you contact support and send us a set of log files so we can look deeper into this for you. (If needs be, you can ask the support agent you get to loop me in on your case and I can take a look.)

lcan
Cook
(2)

Yes, it turns out that it is MacKeeper that is interfering. Thank you for responding. I wish that the person I had spoken to the first time had realized this! I kept insisting that it was an ongoing problem but she wasn't having it and insisted that re-installing would solve the problem. And the customer service person I chatted with yesterday didn't realize that this was the problem until about 20 minutes into our chat. In any case, if anyone else has this problem, these were the directions from the MacKeeper people:

Please open MacKeeper. From the left-hand side menu click Fast Cleanup and turn Cache Cleaner and Logs Cleaner off (0 position).

That should take care of it.

ryanw
Employee
(248)

Awesome, thanks for sharing. I'm glad you were able to get to someone who could help you. You may also want to submit a feature request for MacKeeper for them to put in a feature that you can have it ignore certain cache locations. Some people (not myself) like the cache cleaning function but don't want it to interfere with Mozy and that would be a good way to do it.

Thanks for your business!