Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Announcements
Did you know we have a Linux client? Read our blog article for more details. There is also a contest!
StevenPe...

Student
(0)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Network Shares in Mozy Linux

Hi,

Can't find anything definitive on this, so though I'd ask here.

If I have a SMB share mounted in my Linux server. can I use Mozy Linux to back it up?

I know this feature is possible in the windows Pro Client, but want to know about the Linux client.

Thanks,

Steven

0 Reps
PTNubs
(154)

Re: Network Shares in Mozy Linux

Hi @StevenPearce

As long as your network share is mounted, then all you need to do is add that mount point as a backup directory.

mozyutil addbackupdirs {path to mountpoint}

Just be aware that if the share is unmounted, then the next backup will tell Mozy that the share is no longer there and mark that data as removed.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

If this resolved your question, please mark it as solved.

Peter M
Community Moderator
StevenPe...

Student
(0)

Thanks Peter,

Regarding the unmounted share, how does the client handle boot up where mozy may start before the shares are created?

In a similar vein, how does it work with connectivity problems? I'm guessing thats ok, as it's not classed as an 'unmount'?

Cheers,

Steven.

0 Reps
PTNubs
(154)
Solution

@StevenPearce

If you are using the Mozy backup in continuous mode, you may want to ensure the share is automatically mounted via the /etc/fstab. If you are using Mozy as a scheduled backup on a cron job, then you should have no problem with the mounting time.

We will do some internal tests to see if any kind of error codes are initiated when a share is unavailable on a backup.

Any particular details of the environment we should know?

What OS/file system is the source?

What distro of Linux is the share mounted to?

Peter M
Community Moderator
0 Reps
StevenPe...

Student
(0)

@PTNubs

I'm currently have 3 Centos 6 & 7 servers backing themselves up with the Linux Client (130GB+) and all is great, so thanks for creating it.

This particular installation with be running Centos 6.7 and connecting to SMB shares on a NAS, not exactly sure of the make, but I will try and find out.

Thanks,

Steven.

0 Reps
PTNubs
(154)

Hi @StevenPearce

If you are using a cron job for a scheduled backup, and the share connection drops during the backup, the backup will show a ClientError3 failure.

Alternatively, if the share is not connected when the backup starts, the client will assume those files are removed and apply the same change to the offsite backup. However, when the share is reconnected, it will put those files back in the backup.

We are still testing the same scenario with a continuous backup to see what result comes from that.

Peter M
Community Moderator
0 Reps