Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
New from the Blog: How the Backup Process Works
Have you ever wondered what exactly is happening when you start a Mozy backup? This article explains the process in detail.

Take a Tour of the Mozy Admin Console
Take a tour of the Mozy Admin Console in Part 1, Part 2: Users & Machines, Part 3: SubPartners & SubAdmins, Part 4: Resources and Billing, and the most recent installment, Part 5: Graphs & Reports.

Looking for Support?
Create a new post with your question and our community members and moderators will be happy to help answer it for you! Don't forget to register!
2davidc8
Warrior
(4)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Sync files

1) Is it possible to sync my files from my desktop PC (Windows) with Mozy without the use of the Mozy desktop app?

2) Is it possible to tell Mozy NOT to sync my files continuously in the background, but only sync my files when I tell it to?  How?

Thanks!

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(387)

Re: Sync files

Hello. Looks like you have not received an answer to your question yet. Let me get a support agent to assist with this.

Zach M.
Community Manager
zachm
Admin Emeritus
(387)

I talked to Angie in support she will be reaching out to you shortly.

Zach M.
Community Manager
AngelinaS
(222)
Solution

@2davidc8   The Mozy Sync software is designed to keep files constantly up-to-date with all devices linked to the Sync account.  This link goes into more detail about Sync vs Backup:  http://support.mozy.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/Difference-between-Mozy-Sync-and-Mozy-backups

It sounds like you may want to use the Backup software which is configurable to backup your files when you want to.

If this helped you, please like the response given and press Accept as Solution.

Thank you,

Angie

zachm
Admin Emeritus
(387)

Thanks Angie.

Zach M.
Community Manager
2davidc8
Warrior
(4)

Thank you for your reply!

If I'm using Mozy Sync and I delete a file from my PC, will it also automatically delete the corresponding file from Mozy and all other synced devices?  It would be most desirable to have this feature as a configurable setting where one could turn this feature on or off, as desired.

And if I rename a file on my PC, will Mozy know its former name, hunt down the old file name in Mozy and rename it there as well, or will Mozy just regard it as a new file and I will have to manually delete the old file?

Thanks for your help.

Tyler_W
(72)

@2davidc8 When you delete a file from the Mozy Sync folder, it will be removed from sync and any sync folders on other devices, yes. Unfortunately there isn't a way to turn this feature off. That being said you can also recover these files in the next 30 days. If it is deleted off the computer the file will remain on Mozy Sync, however it will be removed from the Backup software, so it would no longer be getting backed up.

When it comes to renaming files in Mozy, both Sync and the Backup software recognizes this and re-associates the name on our side. And the old name is then removed after 30 days as well. 

Tyler W.
Community Moderator, L1 Team Lead
2davidc8
Warrior
(4)

Great!  Thank you, Tyler and Angie.