Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
Check out our latest contest. This is open to all of our community members and it's just as easy as all of the others! Take a look at the contest page for more details.
Solved (Go to Solution)

Stash is hanging on the "Connecting" stage. Need to identify which app is blocking.

I have read several other cases about firewalls and internet security blocking the mozy sites. So I have review the rules in my firewall (w7 default) and internet filter (Cloudcare). Neither should have blocked mozy, although cloudcare did miscategorize the site. I have added mozy.com.* to the allowed_sites in both products.

Any suggestions for next steps?

Logs are attached.

andrewsk
Employee
(133)
Solution

Re: Stash is hanging on the "Connecting" stage. Need to identify which app is blocking.

Hi rickbrauen

Thanks for sending your logs

It looks like Stash is hanging indefinitely in the very first request that it is making.

For this first connection we are just looking for upgrade information by downloading the following webpage:

http://client.mozy.com/stash/winverinfo.html

(Or more specifically it was trying this IP http://74.112.148.76/stash/winverinfo.html)

What I would suggest is to try opening those urls directly in your web browser.  If there is a configuration problem with your filtering then the resulting browser behavior (error code, endless hang etc) may give some additional clues where the problem lies.

-Andrew

Mozy R+D

Re: Stash is hanging on the "Connecting" stage. Need to identify which app is blocking.

Andrew,

I have done as you requested... results are:

1) Hitting the generic url for versioning I get "LatestVersion 0.10.1810 RequiredVersion 0.10.1810 LatestVersionURL http://client.mozy.com/stash/mozy-stash_0.10.1810.ms" which I believe is the desired result.

I downloaded that file and applied the "repair" with no change in behavior of stash.

2) I hit the ip specific url and got the same results as #1 above although I did not download the file since it was the same url.

Ok so during this process  my stash icon left the ms tray. I restarted stash via the command line and it still says connecting....  Stash will "open" the stash folder (which has the log file extract in it) and will call up the help, it just won't connect.

This doesn't appear to me to be a firewall/connectivity issue so I am uploading the most recent logs. Please let me know next steps. Also if you can explain how I can chat with someone in real time that would be more helpful than email exchanges please.

thanks

Rick

kevind
(70)

Rick, I can work with you on this more directly.  However based on what exists in the winsock catalog file that was posted in the .zip, I suspect the problem is a lsp on the system.  Specifically I suspect Bsecure's lsp as the cause of the issue.  Running "netsh winsock reset" from the command prompt may solve the issue, but I'd bet that Bsecure will re-establish itself pretty quickly.

Does the Mozy backup client work on this system?

ianterry
Assassin
(5)

I have exactly the same problem as described in this thread.  I don't really understand what you are suggesting to do - I have reinstalled as described but no change.  Mozy Home works fine.

Please advise

Ian Terry

andrewsk
Employee
(133)

Hi Ian

There might be multiple causes of a failure to connect.  Let me describe what we currently understand about Rick's case and if you can check whether the same things apply to you, then it will help us give you more direct suggestions.

First I'll mention that reinstalling Stash normally wouldn't fix connection problems. 

In Ricks case we identify the initial call to Mozy as being the place that hangs because the Stash.log file shows these lines:

....msync:daemon daemon.cpp:1574 Starting Daemon bootstrap...
....mordor:socket socket.cpp:499 00949B80 connect(868, 74.112.148.76:80): (0, "The operation completed successfully.")

But it is MISSING the line that is expected immediately afterwards

....msync:http request_logger.cpp:68 1-1 200 OK | GET /stash/winverinfo.html

If you send us your log we would check for that pattern, or you could do it yourself.  One easy way to get to the log is to prepare the support zip file (Help -> Collect Log Files...) and then open the result yourself.

Also in Rick's case we see that the very same webpage http://client.mozy.com/stash/winverinfo.html can be downloaded via the browser, which suggests that the problem is localized to the machine itself rather than an external firewall or network problem.  At this point it might possibly be a proxy problem, but we think that there may be a local software installed on Windows that is causing incompatibilities.  Part of our support zip file is a file winsockcatalog.txt that lists the programs that are installed at a certain level of the system that is prone to break internet software.  In Rick's case Kevin has recommended running "netsh winsock reset" as a way to solve or at least narrow down some of those incompatibility issues, but we don't know enough about your case to know whether that would help.

-Andrew

Mozy R+D

ianterry
Assassin
(5)

Andrew,

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have made the zip of the log files (attached) and then got an error message (attached) and the same file is missing and if I click on the link in your email I get a one line text screen in my browser telling me about the latest version (which I think is what I am already running.)

I don't understand the contents of the winsockcatalog.txt file.

I don't know what proxy means.

What do I do now?

Regards

Ian

andrewsk
Employee
(133)

Thanks for the all the followup info Ian

The error message you saw when collecting the logs is harmless and something that we will fix - thanks for reporting it.

Your logs and experiment in the browser do confirm that the situation is the same as on Rick's machine.  We will look in your winsockcatalog file for any clues.

One interesting thing I noticed in your logs is that it seems Stash was running happily in the past.  In December there are some connection problems that may be completely unrelated.  And then the current failure to reach the servers is appearing more recently (but before updating to the latest client software).  That makes me wonder if you can remember any sort of software that you installed or other configuration change that might have impacted the network configuration on your machine?

-Andrew

Mozy R+D

ianterry
Assassin
(5)

Andrew,

Possibly - in December I had several requests from market research companies to install software that reports where I browse - I get paid for running these.  I tried three of them but some conflicted with each other and one just crashed when I installed it.  They claim these are transparent to normal browsing activity - they just want to know where I go, which I have no problem with if they pay me for that data!

I also installed Ad-Aware, but that's widely used, isn't it?

As I recall the web tracking software is:

Consumer Input Software by Compete Inc - this is enabled in IE as a BHO.

and Gacela which I uninstalled but I note occurs several times in the Winsockcatalog file.  If that's it, how do I get rid of it when I've already uninstalled it?

Regards,

Ian

kevind
(70)

Ian, you can remove that by opening an administrative command prompt then running netsh winsock reset from the prompt.  I did notice in your system log that the Gacela software had errored repeatedly in recent days, so I'm guessing there are some leftovers on the system.

Be aware that running a winsock reset will undo special network settings on the system.  For example static IP settings will be erased.  This can all be reconfigured after the reset.