We are upgrading our Mozy Community! The new community will have new features, a much improved user interface and will work on your mobile devices. You will be able to access the community during the upgrade but you won’t be able to post until we’ve migrated every user to our new platform. Please see this link for further support options that are always available to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

http://community.mozy.com/t5/Mozy-Sync/Outdated-Private-Beta/td-p/25639

ForumTopicPage

Click to close the image preview

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Labels
Announcements
Latest from the Blog: Restoring files from an earlier date
One of the handiest features of Mozy is being able to restore from an earlier date in your backup history. Learn more in today's blog!
Ted_Haeger
(260)
Solved (Go to Solution)

Outdated (Private Beta)

Note This FAQ is outdated. Please see the new Mozy Stash FAQ.

About Stash

What is Mozy Stash?

Mozy Stash is a new feature being tested for inclusion in the Mozy service. It provides you with a place online to store your most important files--your Stash. When you install Stash on your computer, it links a local Stash folder with your online Stash. Add a file to the local Stash folder, and almost instantly you can securely access it from the Mozy web site or Mozy's mobile app. If you link more than one computer to your Stash, any changes you make get updated on each of them. And because Stash uses the same online storage infrastructure as Mozy online backup, whatever you put in the folder enjoys the same protection you have come to trust from Mozy online backup.

How is Mozy Stash different from Mozy online backup?

There are important differences between Stash and online backup. Mozy online backup was designed to protect a whole computer against data loss, whether caused by accidentally deleting the file, or by a catastrophic event such as theft or hard disk failure. Online backup can cover all your files, no matter where they are on disk, and regardless of who put them there. Online backup runs on a periodic basis, every 24 hours by default. Each computer's files are tracked as a distinct, separate data set for that machine. The only time a file comes from Mozy back to your computer is when you explicitly perform a restore.

Stash was designed with a different (but complementary) goal in mind. While online backup runs on a schedule, updates you make to files in your computer's Stash folder get uploaded immediately to your Stash. And whereas online backup only downloads files from Mozy when you perform a restore, any computer linked to your Stash downloads the changes made to your Stash--whether they come from another linked computer or a mobile device. Stash helps ensure you always have the latest version of your most important files…on all your computers, and from your mobile devices.

What should I put in my Stash?

Whatever you want! But since Mozy online backup already protects all the files on your computers, we recommend keeping your latest, greatest work in your Stash—especially the stuff you're actively editing. If you're working on a document and you want the latest changes to be there on any of the computer you use, put it in your Stash. Got a file that you want to access from your mobile and you don't want to wait until it gets backed up? Stash it.

About the Beta

I would like to join the Stash private beta. How do I sign up?

Mozy needs volunteers to help us test this new feature and give us feedback on how well and how easily it works. We are especially interested in participants who regularly use more than one computer, and also use one or more Android or iOS mobile devices. If you would like to participate and you can commit to providing feedback through the beta forum, then please  sign up.

How will I be notified if/when Mozy accepts me into the beta?

Our goal is to invite as many participants as we can into the private beta. However, Mozy plans to extend invites on a gradual basis over the course of several months. Participants will be notified by email once Stash has been enabled on their accounts.

When does the beta start and finish?

The Stash private beta began in late June of 2011, and is expected to run for an extended period, spanning several months. We intend to update the beta software periodically as we optimize the system and address issues that emerge. Mozy will conclude the private beta and release Stash into the wild when we are confident that it suits the needs of our customers.

How does the beta affect my MozyHome plan?

For the beta, your Stash draws storage from your MozyHome plan. For example, if you are on the 50 GB plan and currently use 30 GB for online backup, then you can use the remaining 20 GB for Stash. Similarly, if you are a MozyHome Free subscriber, your Stash comes from your total 2 GB of storage.

Can I use Stash with a MozyPro account?

Although we plan to make Stash available to MozyPro subscribers, the private beta only works with MozyHome accounts. If you are a MozyPro subscriber, we invite you to participate by registering for a MozyHome Free (2GB) account. Stash can run on the same computer as MozyPro online backup, and each feature can use a separate user account.

I still have a subscription for MozyHome Unlimited. Can I participate with my Unlimited account?

No. Since early 2011, Mozy has been phasing out its Unlimited plans. Stash will not be made available to accounts still on any Unlimited plan. We invite you to participate in the beta by registering for a MozyHome Free (2GB) account. Stash can run on the same computer as MozyHome online backup, and each feature can use a separate user account.

I found an issue with Stash. How do I report it?

Great! We are eager to understand the problem and hope that you will help us troubleshoot it. Please start a new discussion topic for it in the forum for the private beta.

I installed and got an error saying "This beta feature is not enabled for your Mozy account." Why?

That message typically comes up on accounts that have not been authorized for the private beta. Make sure that you are signing in with the same MozyHome email address as the one at which you received your invite email. If you are, then please start a new discussion topic for it in the forum for the private beta.

I want to stop participating in the beta. How do I get out?

Please send an email to stashbeta-support@mozy.com to request Stash to be removed from your account.

Features

Why does Stash use a single folder?

We chose to implement using a single folder to keep the feature simple. Because Mozy online backup can protect every folder on your whole computer, we see using a single folder for file synchronization as the most straightforward way to ensure compatibility between the backup and synchronization services. Additionally, having a single folder that synchronizes with your Stash ensures an easy-to-understand user interface.

How many computers can I connect to my Stash?

Stash allows MozyHome customers to link up to 5 computers to a single account. The number of Stash computers is independent of how many computers you have for online backup, and you can use as many mobile devices as you need.

During the private beta, you will see a warning dialog on each computer you add after reaching 5 total, reminding you that after the beta, we will limit the number of computers you can have.

On which computers should I install the Stash software?

Mozy recommends you take the following basic security precautions:

• Install the Stash software only on computers that you own (or know you can trust)
  • Use a password-lock on your screensaver, with a reasonably short timeout
  • If multiple people use the computer, create a local account for each user (or use a single guest account for those who don't need Stash)

What operating systems are supported in the beta?

For the private beta, Stash will run on Windows (XP SP3 and later) and MacOS (10.5 "Leopard" and later) computers.

Can I access my Stash folder on the web though an Internet browser?

Yes. Mozy's Web Restore tool allows you to access your files from anywhere and download them instantly. After logging on to mozy.com, you can select your Stash folder just like any other backup machine.

Because the Web Restore tool was originally intended for performing restores, it does not allow you to upload or modify files online yet. Mozy plans to update the Web Restore tool to enable full read-write access at a later date.

Can I access my Stash through the Mozy app for mobiles?

Yes. If you have the Mozy app for iOS or Android, you will find some cool features that work only with your Stash. On iOS devices, you can selectively upload photos to your Stash. The Android app has a setting that can automatically upload all photos from your mobile device. For now, these features are mostly to show where we're heading with Stash. After the private beta, we will extend these complementing features significantly.

Technical

Can I synchronize files between Windows and MacOS?

Yes. However, there are some inherent differences between how the two operating systems store files. We are seeking feedback in this area.

What happens if two different computers try to update the same file in my Stash?

Although rare, it is possible to cause a change conflict in your Stash. A common case is when two linked computers make local updates to the same file at the same time. When a conflict like this occurs, it results in two versions of the file in your Stash. One of the files will have a slightly different filename to note the conflict, and its contents preserves the conflicting change.

Why does Stash add another icon and menu to my system tray? [Updated 19-SEP-11]

During the private beta, Stash is an additive feature to MozyHome. The Stash software on your computer is completely separate from Mozy online backup. After the private beta, we plan to consolidate the two system tray icons and menus into a single icon. After the private beta, we plan to update the Mozy online backup software to make aware of the Stash software. However, because the Stash and Mozy online backup software must be able to run under different user accounts, there will likely always be separate tray icons for Stash and online backup.

Can I change the location of my Stash folder? [Updated 19-SEP-11]

No. During the private beta, we urge you not to attempt to move your Stash folder from its default location. The software will better facilitate re-locating from its default location in a later version.

Although we are still implementing a more user-friendly way to do this, as of the 0.9 release it is possible to change the location of your Stash folder.

Are aliases (symbolic links, etc.) supported? [Updated 19-SEP-11]

Support is currently very limited. We plan to support symbolic links more fully in the future. (Current support is descibed under "How do we create an alias in the old location for a filenow in Stash?")

Can I use a personal encryption key with Stash?

Unlike Mozy online backup, there is no option for a personal encryption key for Stash during private beta. You can continue using Mozy online backup with a personal encryption key while participating in the Stash private beta. However, any files you add to your Stash will get encrypted online using the Mozy default encryption key rather than a personal encryption key.

Are there types of file that I should not put in my Stash?

Yes. Some types of files, such as some application database files, are best protected by Mozy online backup rather than Stash. For example, Microsoft Outlook Personal Storage Tables (.pst files) remain locked while Outlook is running. Online backup is optimized to protect these files, and can back them up even while Outlook is still running. Mozy Stash cannot protect these files effectively--especially if you have more than one computer running Outlook.

Can I use Stash from a Linux computer?

No. We are investigating adding support for Linux, but we currently do not provide an option for Linux systems.

How do I ensure that the files I add to my Stash do not get double-counted against my total storage capacity?

The Mozy online backup software is not aware of the Stash beta software. Consequently, the online backup software may include your Stash folder in its Files & Folders list, and count it toward your total storage used. To address this, exclude the local Stash folder from the online backup software's backup configuration. Although this process must be done manually during the private beta, an updated version of the online backup software will automatically exclude your Stash folder when Stash is made generally available.

Does Mozy Stash provide me with the same protection against data loss that I have come to expect from Mozy online backup?

Yes. Stash uses the same online storage systems as Mozy online backup. That means that you can restore previous versions and deleted files through the Mozy website, as well as access your files from Mozy's mobile app.

What happens when I uninstall the Stash software from my computer?

When you uninstall the Stash software from your computer, the local Stash folder (and all of its contents) will remain on your computer. However, your computer will no longer stay up to date with your Stash online. Your computer will not receive changes  posted to your Stash, nor will it send changes made to the local Stash folder.

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
chowmcc
Cook
(0)

Re: FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions

Is it possible to have two different stash folders for the same account?  I have five computers on my account, two are my daughters (imac and macbook) and three are mine (two pc's and one laptop).  I would like to set up a stash folder that links my computers and a stash folder that links her computers.  i.e. I would like to keep my stashed files separate from hers.

0 Reps
Ted_Haeger
(260)
Solution

Hey, chowmcc:

The way we have implemented Stash for the private beta is that each MozyHome account gets a single Stash, and you can link up to 5 computers to your account's Stash. The local Stash folder on each computer provides a local copy of the contents of your Stash.

Under this model, the way to give your daughter her own Stash, separate from yours, would be to get a second account. You can do this with the MozyHome Free (2GB) account. There is still a waiting list for Stash beta participants, so if you decide to go this route, reply to me using the reply-to email address from your Stash invite to let me know which account to expedite for you. (Quid pro quo: you have to let us know how it works for you!).

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
0 Reps
SamAyl
Assassin
(7)

Can you advise how I obtain technical assistance with the following installation problem:  I have downloaded STASH to my computer but, when I attempt to install, the following error message appears:  "The system administration has set policies to prevent this installation."  I am the system administrator, working with my own personal computer in my home.  I run Windows 7 Home Premium, and Internet Explorer 9.  I spoke to one of your support people using your CHAT service.  She suggested it was a problem with my security software (McAfee Total Protection), but McAfee advises that their software does not set Administrators controls and McAfee advised me to check with my hardware manufacturer.  When I right-click the STASH installation package, I do not have the opportunity to run it as the System Administrator; I am however logged in as the System Administrator.  Who can assist me with this and how do I contact them?  Thanks.  Sam

0 Reps
SamAyl
Assassin
(7)

I have now resolved this problem, thanks to assistance from another member, John.  See the full listing of our correspondence under the message that is entitled "Error Message: The System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation." first posted under the name SamAyl.

Thank you.  I will now proceed to learning how to use Stash.

Lavahead
Cook
(0)

Hi there,

I am going to pass on Stash thanks. My C drive on my PC is bound to be formatted and is hence a partition, and with Stash folder not being customizable and forced to my C drive, it is not going to make the cut for me.

Also, I use Dropbox where the folder location can be customized and it works with my mobiles. Lastly, Syncplicity allows me to manage folders better than Stash and Dropbox and is geared to be my backup platform of choice for the future.

I use Mozy for its good rates for bulk storage, but I don't see how Stash adds any extra value for me in all honesty.

Sincerely.

0 Reps
rleeden
Warrior
(3)

Hi Ted,

Is this beta only open to users in the US?

The Sign-up link doesn't work for me in the UK, as whenever I try to access a URL with mozy.com as the domain I get redirected to the mozy.co.uk homepage. This happens with quite a few of the links that I see in the various blogs and emails that you guys put out. Slightly annoying!

Richard

0 Reps
Tomba
Cook
(0)

Nearly the same here: from The Netherlandfs I get redirected to Ireland (mozy.ie)

0 Reps
Ted_Haeger
(260)

rleeden, Tomba:

I've got bad news, and I've got good news.

The bad news is that we cannot support the Stash private beta in European countries right now.

The good news is that we're working with the Mozy Operations team to fix that. I've been given a very tentative date of 2-3 weeks. Hopefully we can lock that in, and start taking more sign-ups.

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
0 Reps
Ted_Haeger
(260)

Lavahead:

As of our 0.9 update, Stash now allows you to re-locate your local Stash folder. It's not as easy as we intend to make it, but it has been tested by beta participants.

--Ted

Ted Haeger
Mozy Product Management
0 Reps